We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ZWave Light Switches  (Read 5103 times)

Offline jluvs2ride

ZWave Light Switches
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:37:46 am »
Having completed the first phase of my wireless project I now want to add some light controls. Since it appears that the more conventional toggle type ZWAVE switches aren't available, I wonder what folks are doing. I have a gang of four switches by the kitchen door and I want to control two of these. Currently all four are the toggle types. At the front door I have a gang of four switches and I want to control one of them and again all four are the toggles.

Are y'all changing out all the switches in the house to match?

Offline mitch672

Re: ZWave Light Switches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:07 am »
in general, I would change all of the switches to "decora" style, if you don't want to, "Home Depot" sells parts for wallplates, where you can mix and match, they have standard and decora style parts, and they snap together.  They are not inexpensive (a typical 3 gang setup would run about $7-8), but if you don't want to changeout all of the switches to decora, you can use those parts to make up any cover plate you need.

There are "end" parts (with the curve in them on the right/left), and "middle" parts, for positions in the middle of the multigang cover plate..

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:48:45 am by mitch672 »

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:51 am »

Are y'all changing out all the switches in the house to match?

Short answer....yes

I had a mix of switches in the house for a while but my wife put her foot down so I've switched almost all of them over to decora style now.

Offline robinnes

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:03 am »
I've been using the Intermatic CA3000 binary (on or off- not a dimmer) for two locations for a months now and they've been perfect.
Nice thing is that since they're a simple binary switch- there's on or off only, no dimmer settings to mess with or break.
They can run florescent and or CFL, and LED lights too- I run CFL bulbs in both of my CA3000 switches.
Inclusion was super easy- didn't even read the user guide- just hooked it up- presses the off setting for about 10 seconds- and Vera showed communication success.

A few things to note-
Especially important since you want to gang 4 switches together....- Like most Z-Wave modules, it's kind of large, so if you have an old tiny outlet box that doesn't go to the full 3.5" depth- it may need to be replaced w/a deeper one. 5 wires come out of this switch- now add wire-nuts and the feed and load wires and you'll see why it's a tight fit. You may need a larger outlet box!

- It does need the neutral and ground to operate.
- It does make a rather loud audible click when the relay opens or closes. I actually like this characteristic as it lets me know that something just happened at the switch.

Got both of my switches here (with good results):
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Specials/INT-CA3000
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:38:50 am by robinnes »

Offline jluvs2ride

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »
Just looking for plain On/Off. Don't need the dimmer function so it looks like the Intermatic CA3000 is my best bet. Wish I could just get toggles.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:45:07 am by jluvs2ride »

Offline jluvs2ride

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:44:38 pm »
Ok. So I have three lights I want to control. One will definately be included with my Vera to turn the kitchen light on when a scene is activated to unlock the door. The other two are outside lights and I basically want them on at dusk, off at dawn.

I can get a good deal on the GE 45609, but I am considering programmable wall timers. The Honeywell Single or 3 Way TI072-3W.
They are about twelve dollars (USD) less per unit than the Zwave devices and I'm not really sure I need these on the ZWave network just to have the lights on from dusk to dawn. However the thought occurred to me that since my ultimate goal is to integrate all this into a security system, perhaps if they were on ZWave a triggered alarm could cause the outside lights to flash.

Any thoughts on this??

Offline robinnes

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »
For the additional $12 a for Z-Wave switch I wouldn't even consider a timer.
Z-Wave is super flexible, remember- your need change over time. The Z-Wave switch can not only control your lights, but can be controlled by other events- a timer will always be just a timer.

Offline jluvs2ride

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »
Ok, I decided to throw the back door in as well and went w/the GE for all four.

Offline robinnes

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
Ok, I decided to throw the back door in as well and went w/the GE for all four.
Good choice!
BTW you said "I can get a good deal on the GE 45609", can you share your source?