We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ZWave toggle switch  (Read 10030 times)

Offline awg

ZWave toggle switch
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »
I'm installing a ZWave network into a classic style home, and the current crop of designer and "decora" style switches is just not visually compatible with the current home style. I'm looking for toggle type switches, but it seems that the only manufactured, Intermatic, has discontinued the HA-18 and HA-20 toggle style switches.  Does anyone have any experience with these type of switches and knows why there were discontinued? Are there are any exiting sources for these switches?

Offline mitch672

Re: ZWave toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »
you are looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack", I don't think you will find any toggle style Z-wave switches.

You have 3 choices:

change out all of the switches to Decora style (white or beige, white is what most of the Z-wave switches come in so keep that in mind), switch plates as well.

change out only the switches you are converting to Z-wave, you will have to buy mix and match switch plates (Home Depot sells "sections" that fit together to make up whatever kind of switch plate you need)

Do nothing (no Z-wave at all)

Those are about your only choices, and what everyone here has done.  I myself only changeout switches that get used, ones for outdoor lights that are on "dusk to dawn" sensors I didn't even bother changing out, and those are also CFL fixtures as well, not much power used on them.

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »
The answer is to use one of the "behind the scenes" Z-Wave switch modules.  They convert your existing toggle switches into Z-Wave switches by wiring in a small module behind each switch.  Aeon labs makes some and I think @myhomeserver has written reviews with links on the forum somewhere.  Another company is SwitchDIY  http://www.switchdiy.com/viewnews.php?id=48

I'm not sure about availability, but they would be your best bet for Z-Wave toggle switches.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline jluvs2ride

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:20 am »
Does anyone have any experience with these "behind the scenes" Z-Wave switch modules?

Offline mitch672

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:23:18 am »
no, but I did check out the website, it appears to be a module, that you connect to a standard switch (for local control), and also the load, and it Zwave enables the switch, the device appears to fit inside the electrical box.

I can't imagine these are inexpensive...  the site seems to be mostly for European Zwave frequency equipment as well.

I still say it's going to cost less to changeout the house to Decora style switches.

Offline jluvs2ride

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
So I take it the toggle would override the module?

Offline mitch672

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:10:29 pm »
you would have to assume that the standard switch will provide an on and off capability, who knows how it interacts with commands from the Zwave network.

Offline shady

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »
Review/pics of the Aeon Labs version here:
http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=576

In the review, I don't think he attached a switch to it.  My understanding is the maintained, standard single pole, single throw, toggle light switch will operate kind of like a 3-Way switch does, that is, how you would observe it as a user at least.  Whether you flick the light up or down it will do the opposite of what ever state the light is in.  If you flip it up to turn the light on, then turn the light off via Vera and a PC or remote, then you could go flip the switch down and turn the light on again.  Similar to how the Intermatic Z-Wave toggle switch's useof a standard toggle switch as a slave (for 3-Way operation) behaved.  The Dimming version of the same module I am not sure about and may require a momentary rocker switch.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:07:40 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline mitch672

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:05:41 pm »
There are pictures of the module, showing it in the electrical box as well:

http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=605

I wonder what the cost of these modules is, they are not listed on the AEON site either yet.

Offline grybrd

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:13:09 pm »
I checked with Aeon Labs and they are still awaiting UL approval in the states ... they gave me the name of the wholeseller but that won't be useful tille they are approved.

Offline Rich

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »
How did this turn out?  I'm in a similar position...a house with lots of "toggle" style switches, some of which are in multigang boxes where I'd like to make one Z-wave compatible.

-Rich

Offline shady

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:11:27 pm »
They must be shipping the in-wall Z-Wave Micro Switch modules because I recently got an announcement from ASIHome:

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/index.php?manufacturers_id=285

This is currently the best type of solution for those needing Z-Wave toggle switches and there are others making modules like these too, like Fibaro if you need Euro voltage.