Author Topic: HSM100's all broken after latest firmware update  (Read 19111 times)

Offline Henk

Re: HSM100's all broken after latest firmware update
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 02:58:05 am »
Ok, done the whole deal...

1. Did a Heal as-is = 11 devices sitting with red notices underneath
2. Did a backup on mios.com and locally
3. Followed the instructions in "Migrate To Z-wave version 452" to the letter, including the "hack"
4. Did another "heal" = 8 devices with red failures, and that's only because I ran around pushing wake-up buttons, only one of which made a difference.

Results:
1. Z-Wave Device / Options says I have 3.20 L:1, and that's it....
2. Switch Controller still gives the same error message
3. Bad readings are still bad
4. Etc
5. Etc

The good news is that it still appears to work, as badly as before, but at least it's not a brick.

Next idea....................

@flyboybob

Have to tried the hack 2.78 to 3.20 (yes when Vera says youre on 3.20, you should still try that)
If that doesnt help the Shift controller issue, you can also revert to 2.78 and see if that eases the issue.
(simply ticking/unticking some boxes)

Those steps are key and can be done with or without MCV tech getting back to you.
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:27 am »
Have to tried the hack 2.78 to 3.20 (yes when Vera says youre on 3.20, you should still try that)
If that doesnt help the Shift controller issue, you can also revert to 2.78 and see if that eases the issue.
"Followed the instructions in "Migrate To Z-wave version 452" to the letter, including the "hack""

As of this morning:
1. Tried several times for about an hour to "shift controller" after the upgrade, same error message.
2. Giving up on the machine for the night I tried again and it worked this time, about 3 hours after the upgrade(!?) Started a "heal"
3. It is now PRI:YES. Did another heal this morning = still 8 devices "can't get info on" or "failed to configure", most readings from battery powered devices still rubbish, same as when I started.

next idea............?
bob

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
This sounds similar to my issues with battery sensors here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6771.0

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:45 am »
This sounds similar to my issues with battery sensors here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6771.0
Yes it does, only my problem actually has identifiable corrupt data = the "energy usage" variables attached to one 3-in-1 and not the others.

Your thread keeps chasing that Z-Wave firmware update but as you can see by my thread here - I went through the whole process and it made no difference at all to this problem. Nada. Zero. With either version of Z-Wave firmware installed the probelms are the same (for me) so I personally don't think it's the Z-Wave firmware. Darn, would have been an easy fix!

The problem (for me) started with a Vera firmware upgrade a few weeks ago. I know some will suggest to "revert" and I might try that but my suspicion is that some data tables somewhere were corrupted during the "upgrade" and a "downgrade" will not fix that.

I suspect I am stuck with a "live brick" that will need to be wiped and start from scratch (major sphincter shrinkage at the thought  :-[). I will wait for my "ticket" to be answered first and try to collect relevant data in the meantime. I'm guessing we are not the only ones seeing these problems?

bob

Offline Henk

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 11:38:42 am »
@flyboybob
Hence the backup suggestion. Saves you recreating all code and scenes.

All you possibly need to do is include your devices again!

Maybe triggering MCV tech again would pay off...
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »
Guys, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I just got my Vera2 yesterday.  Should I upgrade it to the newest version of software or not before adding devices?  I also have the HSM-100 coming in today and I would like it to work correctly.  Also any general advice on the right way to start into this (ie first steps?)

Thanks for any advice.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »
Guys, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I just got my Vera2 yesterday.  Should I upgrade it to the newest version of software or not before adding devices?  I also have the HSM-100 coming in today and I would like it to work correctly.  Also any general advice on the right way to start into this (ie first steps?)

For somewhat selfish reasons I would recommend you update both Vera and Z Wave firmware as a first step, then report back here that you are *not* experiencing the problems that us upgrade-with-large-network guys are having. Any good news here is welcome!

The HSM-100's are *great* devices, IMHO, and I would recommend you read http://wiki.mios.com/index.php/ExpressControls3in1 first to understand and allow for the quirky bits. Note that a handy documentation link is available in the Dashboard "little wrench" dialog for most devices as the [Advanced] tab Documentation variable.

Hope that helps,
bob

Offline Henk

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:20:56 pm »
I fully agree with @flyboybob...
Do your updates first, let us know if its stable and then start adding your devices and code.

Good luck (and maybe more important, dont be afraid!)

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »
Working on the assumption that there is persistant device data that is corrupted somewhere in my Vera since the firmware update....

On the [Advanced] tab for each device - all of the variables associated with that device are listed and their current values, as well as the ability to add your own new variables which is *really* handy for storing persistant variables for that device. The problem with that is when the variable values are corrupted, as mine are, it can cause a lot of grief because they don't go away!

I have fixed some of my gremlins by changing corrupt values - for instance several devices had "failed to configure" red warning boxes attached to them that attempts to [Configure Node Now] would not fix. However changing the "Configured" variable from a -3(!?) to a 0 fixes the problem.

My question to those-that-know = I can add variables in that advanced tab, but is there a way to delete variables in that tab? Via Luup code? Via HTTP command? Then I could delete "Watts" and "ActualUsage" from a 3-in-1 where no other 3-in-1 has those variables. Maybe fix other things while MCV works on a real fix...

Some might say "that's dangerous!" but what's the worst that could happen - I need to delete the corrupt device and start over? I need to do that anyway!!

Just a thought, but need an answer to "can delete variables?"
bob

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »
[..] but need an answer to "can delete variables?"
AFAIK: nope.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Henk

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »
My question to those-that-know = I can add variables in that advanced tab, but is there a way to delete variables in that tab? Via Luup code? Via HTTP command? Then I could delete "Watts" and "ActualUsage" from a 3-in-1 where no other 3-in-1 has those variables. Maybe fix other things while MCV works on a real fix...

Some might say "that's dangerous!" but what's the worst that could happen - I need to delete the corrupt device and start over? I need to do that anyway!!

Just a thought, but need an answer to "can delete variables?"
bob

If you are able to edit the value, why not set it to 0 or empty the variable value alltogether.
That will not remove the variable, but it would let Vera think the value is not present and might therefore have the same effect.

Removing variables is only possible by editing the related install files (D_xxxx.xml, I_xxxx.xml and xxxx.json) and would be more compicated than removing the device and creating a new one alltogether.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »
If you are able to edit the value, why not set it to 0 or empty the variable value alltogether.
That will not remove the variable, but it would let Vera think the value is not present and might therefore have the same effect.
That's what I'm doing at the moment and it works to some extent. Sometimes Vera sets the variable back to what *it* wants, sometimes it fixes a problem.

Removing variables is only possible by editing the related install files (D_xxxx.xml, I_xxxx.xml and xxxx.json) and would be more compicated than removing the device and creating a new one alltogether.
The main problem here appears to be variables that are *not* in the install files - meaning either the wrong install file was used for that device at some point, or the data area was corrupted somehow. Since the "box" firmware upgrade adds a lot of variables but needed to maintain the current settings I am guessing that the code that merges the two was bad code, and I doubt the corruption can be fixed any other way than to remove the device and re-install it. I was hoping for a less destructive way of fixing it by simply removing the variables and/or values that obviously don't belong, ie my one particular 3-in-1 does not use kilowatt hours and never will, but a SmartSwitch nearby does. Obviously data base corruption.

bob

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »
@FlyBoyBob,
As far as I know you cannot delete variables that have been created unless you delete the device and reinstall it. I have done that and I know it works. If there is any code anywhere in the system that writes to these variables, even if they do not exist, then the variables are created and will remain until the device is deleted. The question is.... where is that code...right!
Regards
Tim Alls

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 08:27:18 pm »
@FlyBoyBob,

Sounds like you've been through a bit of trial & error, including the tricky migration. Not sure if at this point your config and firmware are consistent, besides the sensors. But if you feel it's just the sensor data that is hosed, it's probably easiest to make a backup, exclude a sensor, include it and see what you've got. Hopefully you don't have too many scenes to update. (I freshly included some HSM100's with .1245/3.20 the other day without issue.)

(BTW, interesting that your Vera apparently spontaneously became a secondary controller. There have been other reports. Very nice, but bizarre, that you got her back as primary again. As @JOD mentioned, MCV was going to add some sort of option to force primary, but if/how/when I'm not sure. 'Controller shift' is to (re-)include a secondary controller and shift the primary role to that controller. It must be initiated by the primary. So the error you got was consistent with the secondary role Vera had at the time.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:43:17 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 07:54:07 am »
Tim:
It was the http downloads you and I discussed a while ago that allowed me to see the various variables that have gone nuts. I have written another Windoze app that organizes and tracks it all, and that went all nuts too. (nuts = more vars than expected, out of range numbers). I need to compare my malfunctioning devices against their definition files next, try to see where it all went wrong.

@oTi:
The box and Z Wave firmware are all up to date as they were loaded from MCV, not sure how to verify my configuration though? The device variables and values are provably changed as I noted above, and since things like "capabilities" "configuration" and network connections are all stored there it's no surprise that seemingly random weird things are happening. As a professional programmer I also realize it would be extremely difficult for the MCV guys to unravel the "merge mess" (if they even acknowledge it) and need to persue fixes myself.

Note here that any changed configuration or network values will get sent to a device on the first "configure node now" or "heal", thus changing the device/network behavior, thus changing the values, so forth and so on.

Also - the PRI:NO thing made no difference one way or the other. If it helps - I had tried to share a light switch between a Logitech controller and the Vera but gave up, so that experiment might have caused Vera to be secondary and not randomness, although I never did it deliberately.

Hoping some of that helps somebody,
bob