We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Network heal...still needs work...  (Read 6426 times)

Offline rlmalisz

Network heal...still needs work...
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
So with my V1 and 1.1.1245 (and external dongle), it seems like there's still some real improvement to be made in how "network heal" works.  If I do a network repair (carefully unchecking the dreaded "re-configure all devices when done"), when the dust settles, my SM103s never have a single neighbor.  Sure, they eventually get configured--if nothing else, I eventually unmount them and tap the tamper switch three times to wake them up well, and then hit "configure node right now".  But this seems a little brain-damaged.  Vera had a known, working route to the device.  Does a network repair, and probably because these are battery-powered and don't wake up enough times to collide with Vera's groping of them, and when finished, Voila!  Device has no neighbors, and can't be relied on to show status for hours--and sometimes days.

Is there some other thing I should be setting in the options for network repair?  Or should I just never run it?  It seems to consistently do more harm than good...

--Richard

Offline FlyBoyBob

Re: Network heal...still needs work...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:00 am »
Same situation with my Vera 2 (see my posts under "Upgrade"). I've given up forcing a re-configure on my battery devices because the mysterious, automatic, unwanted, uncontrollable 2am "heal" just wipes it all out and every morning my wonderful (and expensive) "mesh" network has more holes than mesh....

bob

Offline robinnes

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »
Same situation with my Vera 2 (see my posts under "Upgrade"). I've given up forcing a re-configure on my battery devices because the mysterious, automatic, unwanted, uncontrollable 2am "heal" just wipes it all out and every morning my wonderful (and expensive) "mesh" network has more holes than mesh....

bob
Hey Bob....
This will disable the "mysterious, automatic, unwanted, uncontrollable 2am "heal"" on Vera2:
I disabled my heal around noon on the 17th and it's never run on it's own since the 17th...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
This will disable the "mysterious, automatic, unwanted, uncontrollable 2am "heal"" on Vera2:
See also here.

@robinnes,
Did you observe any issues in your network with MiOS routing disabled?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Henk

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »
More info linked:
http://forum.mios.com/index.php?topic=6898.0

@Robinnes, would you be inclined to add your screenshots there are provided in this thread?
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline robinnes

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:03:51 pm »
See also here.

@robinnes,
Did you observe any issues in your network with MiOS routing disabled?
Yeah... everything consistently works well now!
I could have saved a few hours of manual "healing" getting Vera2 to see my battery operated devices if I had known about this option earlier.  >:(

Actually oTi, I think I read about the procedure in one of your posts last week sometimes. So credit goes to you!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:10:19 pm by robinnes »

Offline robinnes

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »
More info linked:
http://forum.mios.com/index.php?topic=6898.0

@Robinnes, would you be inclined to add your screenshots there are provided in this thread?
Sure... it's something everyone should have the option of controlling.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:13 am »
I could have saved a few hours of manual "healing" getting Vera2 to see my battery operated devices if I had known about this option earlier.  >:(
@robinnes,
Very interesting observation. So you healed :) persistent problems with battery operated devices by disabling manual routing. Maybe @FlyBoyBob will give it a shot.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline robinnes

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:22:49 am »
@robinnes,
Very interesting observation. So you healed :) persistent problems with battery operated devices by disabling manual routing. Maybe @FlyBoyBob will give it a shot.
Well, I wasn't having "persistent problems" with my battery operated devices- more like occasional connectivity problems. Since disabling the automated 2am "heal" on the 17th I've not had a single problem with any of my devices- battery powered or AC powered.

In my case where my Z-Wave network is now static- ie; I'm not adding new devices nor moving my existing devices around the house- there seems to be no reason for a "heal/reconfigure" every night. My routing is fine, connectivity is reliable and my devices don't need to be stress tested and reconfigured every night for no reason other than it's on Vera2's schedule.

If I do add additional Z-Wave components, I will enable nightly heal for a few days just to update the routing tables, but for now nightly heal stays off.