We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Need multiple accounts for clients, but want only one email address  (Read 4933 times)

Offline turb0

Hi, I am fairly new installer of vera-lite / 3 systems.  I love the system always works as expected.  The problem that I am running into is the clients won't (and rightly so,) give us their p/w's to their email accounts to "attach" there vera to it.  I attached 3 vera's to my email and discovered that any client can use their app to control another clients vera!

Anyhow is there a way to allow installers/dealers to attach many vera's to one email AND create a unique id for the client?

Thanks!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Need multiple accounts for clients, but want only one email address
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:57:35 am »
@turb0,

Welcome!

Multiple MiOS accounts can control a single Vera. Is that what you're looking for?

(See Account > Other Users on Vera's Dashboard.)
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline The-Source

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:19:00 am »
If your using gmail or a other provider which support labelling' you could do the follewing
Username+labelname-you.want@gmail.com
All mail is then directly labelled in your inbox and in this way you can create almost unlimited email adresses  ;)
there are only 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who don't ;)

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 05:49:18 am »
You should not need to give them your password...

Ask the client for their Preferred user name and email address.
You do not require their email password.
Create a new user account (if required) https://cp.mios.com/login.php
Use the user name agreed too and use their email address.
Set the password to the Vera I'd.
They can change the password when you hand over the Vera.

Add them as a user to Vera.
You only need the user name and email account.

As they do not require to log in as you, they will not see the other units; however, you can.

If you are not retaining admin rights, have them remove you from their system.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:56:48 am by Brientim »

Offline turb0

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »
Hi all, thanks for the replys!  I'll explain a bit better what I'm running into;

A client wants a vera unit installed.  When I create their user account, I have to put in their email address which can be problematic as the client is not there, etc.

So, what I would like to do is have all the vera's use my email BUT only allocate their own vera to some user name I give them. EG v10001234 (V = vera 1000 = filler number 1234 = house address).  And also give them a password.

The clients then can access via the iphone or ipad app their vera.

What problem i ran into is i associated 3 vera to my "account" EG turb0 / password.  When the client logs into the app using my credentials, they can see the other 2 vera's linked to me.

I need to make sure they only see their own but that I can control their veras.  I use this typically to add a device or make a scene for them etc.

This labeling thing sounds like an answer?  But is there a way that I can give the user an account id and p/w without having to create one for them?

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Need multiple accounts for clients, but want only one email address
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »
As I stated, you can still retain admin rights under the idea I provided and set notification etc to go to you (as well as them if required). They then can log in using their own user name and so can you. The Vera allows multiple users as identified earlier by oTi@ and therefore, maybe use the unit ID as the new account name in the first instance. Giving them their own account, setting up the mobile device to use that instead of yours will stop them seeing other systems whilst you still receive the emails/SMS or notification.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:37:56 pm by Brientim »

Offline turb0

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:05 pm »
Follow up:  Turns out the vera people have already thought of this.  I discovered in the dash board tab under "Account" there is a tab called "Other users."  Simply enter in the other user and give them rights they need.

Thanks for the reply's!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:58:53 am »
Follow up:  Turns out the vera people have already thought of this.  I discovered in the dash board tab under "Account" there is a tab called "Other users."  Simply enter in the other user and give them rights they need.
Nice; thanks for the feedback! Glad that was indeed what you were looking for. Now, hopefully, that didn't take a month to discover.

Multiple MiOS accounts can control a single Vera. Is that what you're looking for?

(See Account > Other Users on Vera's Dashboard.)
As I stated, you can still retain admin rights under the idea I provided and set notification etc to go to you (as well as them if required). They then can log in using their own user name and so can you. The Vera allows multiple users as identified earlier by oTi@ and therefore, maybe use the unit ID as the new account name in the first instance. Giving them their own account, setting up the mobile device to use that instead of yours will stop them seeing other systems whilst you still receive the emails/SMS or notification.

Offline turb0

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:38 am »
@oTi@ Haha ok now I feel like a total yutz, altho I read your words, I did not process them.  So sadly, yes it did take a month.  And of course, thanks for the tip! 

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Need multiple accounts for clients, but want only one email address
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:16 am »
@turb0, you get that on big jobs.
I will say sometimes these things just don't make sense. But all humour aside do not be afraid to ask these type questions because they always help the forum by drill down in to finer detail so it is more understandable.  I hope you are now finding Vera and setting it up easier now. Enjoy!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:48 am »
@turb0,

:) Well, that was your first post, so I'm guessing you've been pretty busy sorting things with Vera since then. Wasn't sure if the posters here were addressing your question, or there was a detail that we missed. Glad you found the option yourself; and we were on the same page after all. Thanks for closing the loop, for the benefit of anyone who comes across this topic!