We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Z-wave healing and routing explained  (Read 45722 times)

Offline Henk

Re: Z-wave healing and routing explained
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:44 pm »
@mcvflorin

The z-wave device options (repair tab and others) contain checkbox settings reading "MiOS routing".

This particular setting checks routing failures on devices during the day and initiates 2am automatic healing when routing failures are found....

Wonder what else it does thats not (yet?) documented?

Ill send screenshots when i get home.

Quote from: Henk
MCV proprietary z-wave routing

Where did you find this?
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »
Yes, I forgot about those. That is information that only Aaron knows. I will ask him tomorrow about this and will let you know if I find anything.

Offline Henk

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »
Screenshots added on selections that need more in detail explanation/documentations as to their function and "inner workings"

I highlighted the settings to be explained in red.

Henk

Yes, I forgot about those. That is information that only Aaron knows. I will ask him tomorrow about this and will let you know if I find anything.
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:35 pm »

So "tomorrow" from late June means what, 2014?  There should be NO information that "only Aaron knows"!

--Richard

Offline JOD

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »
More than likely this is low level Sigma stuff that MCV legally cannot disclose, and we as end users will never know the answers to.
It's like KFC's secret mix of herbs and spices.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
More than likely this is low level Sigma stuff that MCV legally cannot disclose, and we as end users will never know the answers to.
It's like KFC's secret mix of herbs and spices.

JOD.

And that's fine.  If they can't provide enough information about it for us to make intelligent decisions as to whether we should have the checkbox checked or unchecked, there should be no checkbox.  Having GUI interfaces that cannot be well-explained is part of what drives folks crazy WRT Vera.  If its impact cannot be explained in the GUI or in the forum, how are we to decide what to do with it?

--Richard

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 11:41:59 pm »
If they can't provide enough information [...] there should be no checkbox.  [...]  If its impact cannot be explained in the GUI or in the forum, how are we to decide what to do with it?
Understood; however, I do believe it is documented that the recommendation is to have the first and the last checkbox checked. As you'd typically want your devices to be configured by Vera, or they may not work. (Setting can be overridden per device.) And you'd want polling enabled to synchronize the status of devices with Vera.

For the middle three boxes, the recommendation is that if you choose to upgrade the Z-Wave firmware to 3.20, you check all 3 boxes. The second box in that group of 3 appears to enable/disable manual routing (i.e. switch between proprietary Sigma routing, or proprietary MiOS routing) which is only available in 3.20. Don't know about the third box; can only guess.

As @JOD said, we may not get too much detail due to the proprietary nature. But it's on my list to make a wiki page with explanations, if MCV can provide some detail. I'll ask.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline jaded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »
oTi@,

Isn't the "proprietary MiOS routing" the way that MCV figured out how to remotely address the problems caused by the bug in the Sigma chip's routing software?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5756.0

From that post, I inferred they'd offer an MCV way to do something like a "secret buffer overflow attack" on the Sigma chip to wipe their routing tables via the Heal Network operation, correcting the 3066 bug.

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:25:15 pm »
Any official word on how this is supposed to be setup?

REPAIR:
[1: default checked] Re-configure all the devices when done
[2: default NOT checked] Only update MiOS routing (overrides other settings)

OPTIONS:
[3: default checked] by default MiOS should automatically configure devices
[4: default checked] Use Z-Wave version 3.2 instead of 2.78
[5: default checked] Use MiOS routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)
[6: default checked] Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requires MiOS routing)
[7: default checked] Poll nodes

I have 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 checked
I unchecked 5 after reading that it stopped the nightly heal.  The nightly heal left some of my battery sensors in an unknown state occasionally.

Offline MNB

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »
@Intrepid, me thoughts this was fixed with 1338 (RC)? I assume you haven't "crossed over"?  ;D Mike
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »
@Intrepid, me thoughts this was fixed with 1338 (RC)? I assume you haven't "crossed over"?  ;D Mike

Nope, not yet.  Fixed?  In what way?

Offline MNB

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 04:48:09 pm »
@Intrepid, I asked similar question in another posting, also see http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Release_Notes. Mike

Michael,

yes and yes.
Of course 1338 is still an RC so unless a critical error is found that needs to be fixed, 1338 is likely the last release for UI4.

The betatesters have had some info on UI5 like screenshots etc and in general I can say MCV is quite
responsive to us lately. However, release dates is anyones guess. We gave been told the first UI5 beta would be available "soon" but I'm unable to tell if that means days, weeks or another month.

What we DO know that the UI is taking all the priority at MCV development now. So, stay tuned.
On the other hand, please DO post any issues you find. They might also occur in the new UI since the basic firmware isn't changed, only the "look and feel".

It's very important to know where problems arise so we can inform MCV and ask them to solve the issues.

Henk

@henk, thanxs for the comeback, question you indicate that 1338 would be the last release on the UI4 fork, are we to assume that UI5 is shortly coming? If so when?Mike

Michael,

as per releasenotes, MCV seems to have adressed the issue.
Since it was released as an RC (release candidate) and it has been mentioned 1338 would be the last release on the UI4 fork, all we can do is test and report back our issues.

Since you are on a clean 3.20 database and the routing mechanism has been changed for 1338,
I would suggest to test the defaults (Mios routing enabled) and let us know if that worked for you.

For what I have been reading so far, a few heals (maybe with stresstest) should improve the routing matrix.

Henk
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline dluksenberg

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »
@ mcvflorin

Are there any other parameters that need to be updated to use manual routing? I found that I can get it to work if the route includes a listed neighbor. The problem I'm having now is getting the neighbor parameter to stay populated on using an Aeon Labs door sensor. It seems to work fine with my fringe powered thermostats. Once I try manual routing on the sensor it becomes unusable even if I delete it. The only way I found to make the device usable again was to remove and re-add it to the network.

Thanks!

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 07:06:51 am »
Are there any other parameters that need to be updated to use manual routing?

AFAIK no. But if don't have any issues with it without manual routing, why not let it this way?

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
I know this is an old thread, but there's good info in it and I recently ran into related issues.

I have been installing some intermatic CA3000 wall switches.  My UI5 has been set with 'use mios routing' unchecked.  These switches would not recognize any neighbor nodes, and would only work within about 20 feet of vera.  Heals and update neighbor nodes would not work for these switches.  Everything else (GE wall dimmers, appliance, lamp; trane tstat; schalge locks) seemed to work properly with neighbors defined.

I changed back to enable 'use mios routing' and 'limit discovery'.  These CA3000 now work in distant locations and they have neighbors.

Are there any current downsides to using 'use mips routing' and 'limit discovery'?  I had turned it off due to problems in UI4.