We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Elk M1 (and M1 M1EZ8) Alarm Panel Plugin  (Read 163492 times)

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
Re: Elk M1 (and M1 M1EZ8) Alarm Panel Plugin
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2012, 04:52:29 am »
The reason this is so low on the priority list is because there is already a functional version for this alarm panel, and new plugins take precedence over this one.

I added a new tag: 2.0_alpha_1 (which is actually revision 63 from trunk) which contains implementation for:
>> Possibility to trigger tasks.
>> Relays control and status display.
>> Display zone temperatures.
>> Expose and control thermostats.

Unfortunately, since this is Alpha, it's far from stable and bug free. Some time ago I started making this plugin more like the GE Concord 4 plugin, to be more stable, but this is quite a bit of work, and I get to work on the plugin pretty rarely. The code is public, so everyone is free to make a fork of the code and provide his own implementation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:54:57 am by mcvflorin »

Offline signal15

« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
FYI, for those interested, here's a link to a PDF which contains the ELK serial protocol:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50097012/Elk-m1-Rs232-Protocol

This may or may not be the latest version of it.  For those that want task control, I posted under a garage door thread in General that tells you how to do this with the existing plugin by using a custom string and watching for it on Serial0 on the Elk.  Tasks can be configured to control outputs, so it would give you output control also.

Unfortunately, since this is Alpha, it's far from stable and bug free.

What are the problems you know of off the top of your head?

Offline Quixote

« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:12 pm »
Thank you for the update.

I can't log in for some reason. Is there somewhere else I might find the files and instructions on how to install them?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:13:05 pm by Quixote »
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline big517

« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:20 am »
I cannot access either....  if someone does have access, please mirror until mcvflorin can fix.
Really want to give this a run today Thanks.

Offline big517

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »
I think I got to it!

http://code.mios.com/svn_public/mios_elk-alarm-panel/tags/2.0_alpha_1/

:o

UPDATE:
Not sure if that link is the same stuff that MCVFLorin posted, but I'm getting an infinite loop of reboots now!

It boots to starting the Elk Alarm Panel Getting Temperatures, then REBOOT
Going to see if I can sneak in and upload the OLD trunk files.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:35:03 pm by big517 »

Offline big517

« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:20 pm »
I deleted the plugin, created a new one from scratch with the trunk files; it's hanging on "Starting up..."
Took about 10 minutes, but it's showing all the zones now... I'm waiting for outputs to show up hopefully... but something still isn't right.
Has anyone else installed the new trunk?

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:00 am »

It can get stuck waiting for a response or it can show an error that it hasn't received the right response. Probably other too.

Offline big517

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »

It can get stuck waiting for a response or it can show an error that it hasn't received the right response. Probably other too.

So this is in addition to my problem above?

Can you post another link to the files?  I thought I found them, but I updated them and it put me in a reboot loop while loading the ELK Plugin...

Offline Shorty

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:31 pm »
Signal15 - Thanks for posting the vera-elk text solution.  Exactly what I was hacking around plugins trying to find.  I don't know lua, plug-in development, etc so this is a big help and an elegant solution.

For those looking for a russound solution and who happen to have elk as well (don't know how far I have whittled the pool) this can work.  Elk can control russound and this control can be built into rules.  Vera sends elk a text that activates a rule and Signal15's playlist automatically starts whenever he opens his garage door between 630-730pm. 

It may not be absolute control but you can satisfy most audio automation needs with 10-15 rules.  If you need full control you'd need to look elsewhere.

Mcvflorin - Kudos for the work on the plugin.  I want to test it but am hesitant on a live system until later beta.  Really looking forward to recognizing status of output as this is a good path for elk to vera communication.

Speaking of which, I'm still searching for the zwave expander/leviton rs232 controller killer app...  And I think it is within reach.

Do either of you know how to have vera listen for texts from elk and respond.  Basically what Signal provided in reverse.  Maybe a plugin that connects to elk on 2101 and translates any lighting/thermostat commands into vera commands.  MCV your code can read and write elk protocol, how hard is it to translate this into something vera can act upon?

Lastly, how can vera echo zwave status changes back as elk formatted messages?

Signal's - Your code above is simple, compact, and easy to use direct to elk communication.
Mcvflorin - You have code that already translates vera info into elk protocol. 

We need to get you guys in a room together with a case of beer.  You guys combine your code and use it to send "live" zwave status changes to elk.  It seems like the only missing piece is capturing/parsing vera status changes.  This has to be fairly routine thing to do.   

I sure there are some things I'm missing but it seems that we have all the parts we need and they just need to be bolted together.  I'll buy the beer.

BTW:  Micasaverde should consider buying the beer and throwing a couple of brains at this.  If it works, they will sell more product and profit.  A Vera3 is less expensive than Elk zwave expander + Leviton VRC0P controller.  If it works just as well it is a no brainer.  You would get lighting/hvac control plus all of the features of vera, wireless router, vera apps, and smarthphone app/interface for less money than another solution that just provides lighting/hvac.  This is more true now since people must upgrade the elk expander/VRC0P to support locks.  They know they are going to spend the money but are just waiting for a reason to do it now or until their current setup becomes so obsolete they are forced to.  Low hanging fruit.

Offline signal15

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:22 am »
My feeling is that the Elk kind of sucks as an automation platform, and I've since moved all of my automation stuff over to the Vera.  So, the fact that the Elk doesn't pick up my Z-wave statuses and other things doesn't really bother me.  I love my Elk, but it's well known that there are limitations, and that's why things like Vera and CQC and all the other automation products that integrate with it do so well.

I should mention one more hack for getting data between the units.  I needed to know the Chime status on the Elk from the Vera.  There's a variable for it in the plugin, but it doesn't seem to be updated.  So, I set up a rule on the elk for when the chime is off, turn one of my outputs off (NC on a relay output) and when it's on, turn the output on.  Then, I ran wires from the relay to an input zone on the Elk.  Since the plugin can monitor input zones, I have a binary value that I can use in LUUP code to determine if the chime is on or off.

I thought about hacking the code for the Elk plugin to fix the Chime variable.  But I found that the Elk only sends the chime status (via Serial0) when the Chime button is pressed on the keypad.  If the chime is toggled from a rule, no update is sent.  This means the Vera would have to poll for it on a regular basis.  My way == no polling.

Offline big517

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:31 am »
I noticed disabling chime on sensor setting via RP hid the status from vera but disabling it globally allowed versa to see and disabled annoying chimes from elk speaker

Offline signal15

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2012, 03:23:43 am »
I noticed disabling chime on sensor setting via RP hid the status from vera but disabling it globally allowed versa to see and disabled annoying chimes from elk speaker

Ah, that makes sense.  It's not really useful that way though.  If you disable it via RP, it's not exactly a dynamic variable that's going to change on a regular basis.  It really needs to be able to be updated via chime button press or rule toggle.  But, like I mentioned before, if elk rules change the chime status, it's not sent to the Vera, you still have to poll for it.

One of the things I was thinking about is how would the Elk plugin handle outputs?  If I remember correctly, they are all "active" in RP.  Would the Elk plugin create a Vera device for each of the 200+ outputs?  Or would there be a single "output" device that had on/off for each of them?  I use/used outputs pretty extensively in my automation rules in the elk as binary variable storage (using high numbered unused outputs) coupled with timers.  I still have a few things in there, and it would be useful to be able to get the status of outputs. 

Offline big517

« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:49 am »
I don't have chime enabled and the trigger is instant so its still broadcasting the trip.  Try it again: go into the zone and enable chime for the device then globally disable chime.  I did it that way and its perfect.

Not all outputs are active, and either are the zones for that matter, unless you check the "show" box in RP.

Offline big517

« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2012, 04:25:23 pm »
While we're waiting for the update, Is there a way for the Vera to receive the text from ELK? 

Offline signal15

« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »
While we're waiting for the update, Is there a way for the Vera to receive the text from ELK?

Receive what text from the ELK?