Author Topic: Question on 3.2 upgrade  (Read 13593 times)

Offline Henk

Re: Question on 3.2 upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:48 pm »
Thank you for the input...*smile*
ive got 2 or 3 of these lined up, trying to create an other from scratch on USB swapfiling, trying to get the hang of some luup code and keeping the family happy when im not at work, but ill give the re-authoring a shot for for sure this weekend if i can find half an hour or so anywhere...

;-)
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
I agree completely with Strangely! Look at all the confusion I've had. And my reading comprehension is not sub par. From what I currently understand the "official" method to upgrade is to:
Select "Use Z-Wave version 3.20 instead of 2.78"
Hit the GO button for "Reset Z-Wave network"
Then manually unpair all devices.

Correct?

The current wiki entry specifically states that the "Reset Z-Wave network" function will wipe everything, which apparently is not true.
Looks like you are confused :)

I think the reset Zwave network will reset everything, and you will need to exclude all your devices and then re-include, and set it all up again!

So in simplistic terms, if you don't want to start from scratch you just need to enable the 3.20 check-box
Save
wait a while for the firmware to be flashed (it will show 3.20 once completed)
Reboot
Run the hack.
And then maybe reboot again.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:39 am »
Looks like you are confused :)

I think the reset Zwave network will reset everything, and you will need to exclude all your devices and then re-include, and set it all up again!

So in simplistic terms, if you don't want to start from scratch you just need to enable the 3.20 check-box
Save
wait a while for the firmware to be flashed (it will show 3.20 once completed)
Reboot
Run the hack.
And then maybe reboot again.

Eh?

I hit "reset z-wave network" and everything is still there.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:36:16 am »
Per the release notes in the Wiki there appears to be a bug in the released version, which a fix is in testing for.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Henk

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 12:39:55 pm »
@strangely

Wiki update. feedback is appreciated!

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Migrate_To_Z-wave_version_452

Lol its not too bad compared to other pages that were written, but I remember the first time I read it, it wasn't very clear to me.

I haven't got too much time the re-author it completely, but given your expert writing skills, and the great job you've on others, I think you would make good job of it!

My suggestions are:

I would go somewhere along the lines of removing a lot of the content that distracts the users attention. Its way too wordy and you cant see the meat very well, or whats important.

It only needs a brief introduction that explains 3.20 is an option with Vera versions 1.1.1221 and up, and that this version supports has a better routing algorithm, and a snappier response, but there are some risks... and should perhaps only be used if the user is having an issue with the current 2.78 branch and is not worried about losing the ability to include from a secondary controller* ( see below)

If a user wants to proceed then make a warning about making a backup (including a dongle backup) first.

Explain that there are two paths to update, as currently the instructions section only references the upgrade option / hack, where the other instructions for a clean load are currently buried in the introduction blurb and would be missed if the person skipped to the instructions section.

Upgrade Path 1: where a user wants clean their Vera and start from scratch (reference the relevant section numbers etc)
Upgrade Path 2 where a user wants to upgrade and keep their configuration (reference the relevant section numbers etc)
-After updating you can explain that Vera will appear to be working fine; however Inclusion and exclusion will not function correctly unless the hack is run.

* Also a more detailed reference near the end that explains the (SUC/SIS) stuff a bit more in depth, and what Vera will present to you once successively upgraded.
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »
It's organized much more elegantly I must say. Much more clear. One bone to pick though. The procedure for removing devices isn't clearly stated for method #1. There should also be a link to a wiki entry describing how this works.

Thanks for all your work on the wiki! If it was more comprehensive there would be less posts in the forum and less need for news, like me, to spend hours sifting through different threads that might or might not have the answer I'm looking for.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:35 pm »
Good Job @Henk!

Offline Henk

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 02:38:16 am »
@S-F

There is a page on the wiki on this. How to set your Vera to factory defaults.
You can find it here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Factory_Reset

Let me know if that works for you and i can tie it in to the inital discussed page.
Please note, someone made this page and intended to add screenshots so it might look a bit strange.

I generally avoud doin this as it takes a LOT of time and UI's change form time to time with MCV so it would take a redo. But thats off topic here.

Best,
Henk
It's organized much more elegantly I must say. Much more clear. One bone to pick though. The procedure for removing devices isn't clearly stated for method #1. There should also be a link to a wiki entry describing how this works.

Thanks for all your work on the wiki! If it was more comprehensive there would be less posts in the forum and less need for news, like me, to spend hours sifting through different threads that might or might not have the answer I'm looking for.

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 11:52:28 am »
One bone to pick though. The procedure for removing devices isn't clearly stated for method #1. There should also be a link to a wiki entry describing how this works.
@S-F,

Agreed; thanks for bringing up that it isn't clear. The device exclusion (or, alternatively, device reset) steps should be added, and the actual reset of the network could be a separate step too.

Between the non-working reset with .1245/3.20 (it appears) and the incomplete information, things are probably thoroughly confusing indeed.

To verify, I just went through a backup/downgrade/reset/upgrade/restore cycle. Which works (but does seem tricky). Luckily. :) I'll update the page at some point (would like to run some more tests first).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:59:57 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Henk

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 12:06:00 pm »
@oTi@

Let us know your findings and keep in mind the page was originated by MCV.
I only modded it to clarify the hard to read bits.

If we start to edit the instructions it might be usefull to discuss that with @mcvflorin or @mcv.Eugen?

One bone to pick though. The procedure for removing devices isn't clearly stated for method #1. There should also be a link to a wiki entry describing how this works.
@S-F,

Agreed; thanks for bringing up that it isn't clear. The device exclusion (or, alternatively, device reset) steps should be added, and the actual reset of the network could be a separate step too.

Between the non-working reset with .1245/3.20 (it appears) and the incomplete information, things are probably thoroughly confusing indeed.

To verify, I just went through a backup/downgrade/reset/upgrade/restore cycle. Which works (but does seem tricky). Luckily. :) I'll update the page at some point (would like to run some more tests first).