Author Topic: Trane XL950 Thermostat  (Read 41372 times)

Offline stevenroka

Trane XL950 Thermostat
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:48 am »
Does anyone know how to set up the Trane XL950 on the Vera 2?  Looks like it will be through IP as it's connected to my home network.  I've enabled remote services on the XL950 but don't know how to add the device on the Vera 2.

Offline Cherokee180c

Re: Trane XL950 Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »
Let us know how it works once you get it working.  I thought they were coming out with a model with Z-wave capable later this year, or maybe the radio is already in the unit and just not enabled yet?  I was seriously looking into this model, but needed the remote temperature control that was offered by the Honeywell Pretige HD unit.  Does Train have a remote unit planned for the XL950?

Offline stevenroka

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:45 pm »
You can have up to 5 wireless zone temp controls and have damper control to go with it.  Hopefully the z-wave will come around as the trane rep told me it was a firmware upgrade.

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:15 pm »
Great.  I find these HVAC companies are mostly clueless.  If you look at all the XL-950 advertising they are touting it as an iPad want to be.  Get your weather, photo pictures, etc. on the device.  Sorry, but I don't plan on playing Angry Birds with a wall mounted Thermostat.  They are clueless.  How about making an HVAC controller with more features and give me proper control (both inside and outside the house) over fan programming, humidity control, etc.  The XL-950 still looks like the most promising of the bunch, but the last I heard they are trying to charge you a monthly fee for the remote access features.  Maybe that is just because of their recommended Schlage Link access, that you could easily get around.  Anyway, I will sit tight for a while until the features get flushed out properly.

Offline Dominic

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:53 pm »
Did you purchase and install this yourself or by the hvac guy? I currently have a Trane system with the comfortlink 2 communicating thermostat. This seems to be the only way to add some sort of zwave functionality. There are really no other thermostats that I have found that are communicating (data wire).

Have you had any luck connecting to Vera?

Offline stevenroka

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:10 pm »
The thermostat was installed by the HVAC company and he did a good job.  The firmware update is not out yet to allow it to communicated via the network.  I've been told by Trane that it would be out in the Fall.  Hopefully it will be straight forward at that time.  They have already come out with the 950XL brochures and Schlagelink zwave capabilities but at this time it does not work.

Offline tesarver

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »
I just had one installed with my new AC/Heating System.  Talked with Trane Support only to find out that Schlage's Servers can only concoct to your Thermostat.  If you can only connect to your thermostat through the Schlage's Servers (Intra or Internet).  Their service will not be available to mid to late fall (October/November) and the cost to connect to your Thermostat from you own house sitting on your couch using your own network will be $8.99 per month. However that will give you the 1st 6 months for free.

Not what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with that news.

Offline Dominic

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
I'm hoping that someone will find a way once its available.  For those of us with the proprietary communicating system, we're kind of stuck.

I just installed one of these thermostats, found it on eBay for cheap.  It is a real nice thermostat, I really do like the interface.  I did notice that you can ssh from a linux terminal into the thermostat's IP address, but I don't know what the user/pass would be. 

I guess we just need to wait for the firmware update to find out what we can do.

Offline stevenroka

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »
I got the firmware update today to version 2.0 and it now has and "enable Schlage Link" option.  When I click it, there is a request for a validation code.  Looks like it's beyond my ability to connect to the MCV.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Dominic

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »
Well, I just upgraded mine as well.  I'm playing around.  Vera can't see it, so either there isn't a zwave chip or its not activated.

It is running a linux os. I tried to ssh into the IP that it got from my router, but it's password protected. If anyone knows what it would be, that could help.

Ran a port scanner, it does have some open.

Open TCP Port:    22           ssh
    Open TCP Port:    8887
    Open TCP Port:    8888         ddi-tcp-1
    Open TCP Port:    9035
    Open TCP Port:    9037
    Open TCP Port:    9038
    Open TCP Port:    9039
    Open TCP Port:    9040
    Open TCP Port:    9999         distinct
    Open TCP Port:    10001        scp-config
    Open TCP Port:    10999
    Open TCP Port:    11000        irisa
    Open TCP Port:    55792
    Open TCP Port:    57247

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:45 am »
Might be time to compile up Hydra for your platform... 8)
    http://www.thc.org/thc-hydra/

Then run a dictionary against it, including a few vendor specific passwords (like xl950, schlage, etc)

Offline xiong

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:53:45 am »
Can anyone point me to a URL where I can download the XL950 firmware Version 2 update ?  My thermostat came with Version 1, but you need v2 in order to access the SchlageLink Zwave connectivity.  (Trane's literature says the downlaods available on their website- but I'll be darned if I can find it).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline stevenroka

Offline xiong

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 02:37:53 am »
 :-\  Thanks for the URL.  I looked at every link from that page, and cannot find one that references or leads to a software download.  I appreciate your trying though!

Offline kaldoon

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:46 am »
Go to the Additional Information tab that is where the download lives - saw this T-Stat at CES last year and it was only IP not Z-Wave. Went through all the documentation I could find - the only mention of Z-Wave I could was in relation to the Link System not the T-Stat itself.