We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ZIR000 configuraion Motion Control to turn on lights  (Read 8609 times)

Offline markbannister

Re: ZIR000 configuraion Motion Control to turn on lights
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00:25 am »

How did the sensor show it is seeing motion? As long as the sensor is seeing motion, the red LED won't come on and you wouldn't see any updates on the Dashboard.
Right, the "red man" is staying red and running on the dashboard.
Now that I've posted the above fix I don't think it's working.  I ran simple tests to check and it seemed to work but now in the real world something else is going on.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 10:14:01 am »
How did the sensor show it is seeing motion? As long as the sensor is seeing motion, the red LED won't come on and you wouldn't see any updates on the Dashboard.
Right, the "red man" is staying red and running on the dashboard.
The running red guy only indicates that the sensor was tripped, i.e. the sensor saw motion 'once' and sent Vera a 'tripped' event. Thus, it will always stay running until the sensor 'untrips' (i.e. is not tripped anymore).

So, if you see the 'not tripped' scene running (i.e. the lights go off), it means the sensor did not see motion anymore and sent Vera an 'untrip' event.

In other words, it should work as you expected:
- Sensor sees motion > send 'tripped' to Vera > run 'tripped' scene / turns lights on / running red guy.
- Sensor keeps seeing motion > nothing sent to Vera > lights stay on / red guy keeps running.
- Sensor stops seeing motion for set period > send 'not tripped' to Vera > run 'not tripped' scene / turns lights off / standing blue guy.

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline markbannister

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:26 am »

The running red guy only indicates that the sensor was tripped, i.e. the sensor saw motion 'once' and sent Vera a 'tripped' event. Thus, it will always stay running until the sensor 'untrips' (i.e. is not tripped anymore).

So, if you see the 'not tripped' scene running (i.e. the lights go off), it means the sensor did not see motion anymore and sent Vera an 'untrip' event.

In other words, it should work as you expected:
- Sensor sees motion > send 'tripped' to Vera > run 'tripped' scene / turns lights on / running red guy.
- Sensor keeps seeing motion > nothing sent to Vera > lights stay on / red guy keeps running.
- Sensor stops seeing motion for set period > send 'not tripped' to Vera > run 'not tripped' scene / turns lights off / standing blue guy.

What is happening (it seems) is that the sensor sends the not tripped not matter what after the parameter 18 timeout period.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:13 am »
What is happening (it seems) is that the sensor sends the not tripped not matter what after the parameter 18 timeout period.
Understood; but did you try that by actively walking around in front of the sensor and did not see the red LED light up? Did it re-trip right away?

Offline markbannister

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »
Understood; but did you try that by actively walking around in front of the sensor and did not see the red LED light up? Did it re-trip right away?
No

Offline markbannister

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »
Part of the problem is that if the motion detects motion continually it not send any new events. 
I think what may be happening is that events are lost at some point.  So I'm back to using two scenes but I've set the not tripped scene to turn off the lights with a value more than three times the p18 setting.  (nb as has been mentioned the p18 setting adds to the 2 minute minimum.)
I'm hoping that the off scene then has three chances to get reset.  Fingers crossed.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:08 am »
Part of the problem is that if the motion detects motion continually it not send any new events. 
That's actually a good thing, as the new events are not necessary, and thus don't drain the batteries.

I'm hoping that the off scene then has three chances to get reset.  Fingers crossed.
I'm still not following. If the sensor sees motion it will have sent Vera a 'tripped' event: the lights are on. As long as it keeps seeing motion, it won't send any new events, neither 'tripped', nor 'not tripped': the lights stay on.

If your lights do switch off, it means a 'not tripped' event was received, i.e. the sensor stopped seeing motion. So it sounds like there is an issue with your sensor, if you're certain that the sensor should have seen motion.

(I have this sensor to light up the stairs for 2 minutes. If I stay on the stairs and keep the sensor tripped, the lights stay on, until 2 minutes after I leave the stairs.)

Offline markbannister

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

I'm still not following. If the sensor sees motion it will have sent Vera a 'tripped' event: the lights are on. As long as it keeps seeing motion, it won't send any new events, neither 'tripped', nor 'not tripped': the lights stay on.
<snip>
I'm thinking the only thing is something wrong with the sensor as you suggest.  Trip the no motion event.  I'm going to try a different position of maybe adjust the sensitivity.  Testing with the sensor sitting beside me I can't get it to fail.  Mount it and it fails right away (actually it fails once I stop keeping a check on it.  Somehow it knows)

Offline markbannister

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
OK, can't get the #$^#$*&%# to update neighbors.  It was configured.  But when I try to get neighbors I get this in the log:
Node 26 Device 15 Kitchen Motion neighbor nodes updated 0 times (incomplete 1 in a row 0), woke up 1 times configured: NO

Manual says removing the battery will keep the device awake for 10 minutes, so I remove batteries momentarily, start update neighbors and no luck....

Then I adjusted paramter 22 to 45 (45 seconds) which according to the help:
The time the ZIR000 stays awake can be adjusted from 15 seconds to 45 seconds by sending a value of 15
to 45 to the ZIR000 using Configuration Parameter # 22 (when asked for number of bytes, select 1). This time
awake period starts over every time the ZIR000 receives a command or request.
Again I remove batteries and put them back and then did a heal only on this device.  This time it configured and neighbors were reported.
Crossing fingers that this actually works now.

Other info:  Parameter 18  can have a value of 0-255 minutes (this value is not as stated before added to the 2 minute default as stated before.)  The value is +/- 1 minute though which is where the confusion may arise.

Offline markbannister

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »
I have tried many combinations of configuration, but the only consistent way to make this work is to use th delay parameter 18 on the motion detector to trigger an off scene that turns all lights off right away.  The great big giant downside is that I can't program a timer to dim the lights for a while first and then turn off.  Depending on how the delays are configured sometimes they don't work and sometimes they work intermittently.  By not work I mean That they do not get reset upon new motion detection.

I'll play more but this is annoying.