Author Topic: New VeraPlus User Coming on Board  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Southern Dad

New VeraPlus User Coming on Board
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:51 am »
Hello forum.  My name is Southern Dad, and I'm a tech addict.  When it comes to gadgets, I keep finding more that I want, not necessarily need.  Can one really have too many gadgets?  Currently, my home automation is controlled by a SmartThings v2 although I do have a Wink 2, also. 

After watching a video with John Stone, the DIY Smart Home Guy, on YouTube, I started exploring Vera Control.  Vera offers one thing that I really want to explore, automations run locally.

Due to my travel and work schedule, I will not be able to begin playing with my new VeraPlus until the middle of the week but I have been watching what limited videos are available and seeking out the information that I can find.  Is there a Facebook Group for Vera Control users like there is for Wink or SmartThings?

I look forward to moving things from my other hubs to Vera to experiment.

Offline reneboer

Re: New VeraPlus User Coming on Board
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:16 am »
Welcome to the club. And on your first question; of course not  ;)

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:30 am »
Hi Southern Dad,

Welcome aboard. If you need any assistance don't hesitate to ask our community our even our Customer Care team if things get complicated.
Contact details in my signature.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Southern Dad

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »
I'm eager to get back home so that I can play with my new "toy".  I have read many threads and see that some of the tech that I have will work well with Vera and some will need work, and others will just have to be run through another hub but that is okay.  Those local automations will make things much smoother for me.  I have a municipal cable company for an ISP.  Sometimes the connection is moody.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 05:56:05 pm »
Sometimes the connection is moody.

Vera is moody too - from inconsistent delays with scenes to stupid compatibility issues (that according to Vera and Z-Wave literature should not be possible) to annoying bugs.  But as a techie you'll get used to them :)

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:27:42 pm »
Welcome aboard.... 3 weeks and you'll want to jump ship  :o

I'm still here though.  Even though I do think about it still.  I too am a convert from Smarthings to Vera.  I also wanted local control.  The vera has been fun to play with and is very expandable.  This forum has lots of great information and people.  Just not a very up to date forum system for a tech company  ???

Things I ran into
1. Anything you have branded "SmartThings" won't work.  Even if it's a zha certified blah blah blah.  It won't work.  I have made my VeraPlus go into crazy fits of constant reloads all because of trying to get a multipurpose sensor to give me basic open/close.  Nope.  forget it.

2. TTS capabilities, play an mp3 on an event.  Do you have a Sonos system?  If no, then Nope, out of luck.  Integrate with something else.  I'm using Home Assistant on a raspberry pi that I use lua in scenes to tell Home Assistant to play an mp3 on my google mini's.

3. Most anything that is not Z-Wave should be on the NO list.  Extremely limited zigbee/zha support.  So just think before you buy if it's not z-wave, it probably won't work

4. 3rd party integrations.  Not many.  The few that are still around are very old, not updated, not supported.  Some that used to be around that were good are all user contributed and some of the best ones have been pulled by the author and no longer available unless you find someone who has an older copy and can get it from them.  Let you and others debate legality.  If like many you'll find Lutron Caseta only available if you have a PRO bridge and the integration is very basic.  Wifi plugs or generally anything Wifi won't work as the plugins were pulled.

5. My home internet well sucks.  My primary ISP went down last Tuesday.... and is still down.  So I went out and bought a few new toys to have internet.  Be careful with the whole "vera doesn't need internet its' all local"... yeah not really.  NTP is a big one.  Vera uses the internet for setting system time.  Without that, well automations may run wonky.  Change that ASAP.  Also different plugins require an internet connection.  If they do (Harmony, Philips Hue2) then during an internet outage when luup reloads this can hang the system for a long time, and again automations won't run.

6. Coming from SmartThings and probably using WebCoRE you will have a big change getting the hang of PLEG.  PLEG is a plugin for easy automation creation without writing direct Lua scripts.  Download, learn PLEG.  I'm still learning and it does take getting used to but it's getting easier for me. 

7. My final view, opinion is that Vera has HUGE potential, but from a corporate perspective no interest.  They have a ripe market to take a big lead especially with a lot of SmartThings people WANTING to switch to something.  But unless Vera does a massive overhaul/modernization of their system, other players will fill the gap.  Really it's only a matter of time before Home Assistant has full z-wave support for my secure devices and then I have no reason to use Vera. 

Offline Southern Dad

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:08 am »
Excellent advice.  I will have to bookmark it for later reading, and rereading.

Offline Selkirk

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:23 pm »
Completely agree with #7.  Vera has some great things going for it, it just seems like its heyday was in 2014 (coincidentally around the UI7 launch). 

Setup and device pairing seems to work pretty well and the iOS app seems pretty solid.  It works without an internet connection and it can be very responsive, mostly.

Other things, like the entire Apps or Energy tabs or the luup documentation or security seems to have been completely neglected.  Hitting the back button in the browser UI is a complete roll of the dice as to where you'll end up.  The SSL cert for Ergy expired in 2014. Etc.

Prepare to spend an incredible amount of time reading outdated documentation and reading, re-reading and searching this forum as well as installing and uninstalling plugins and trying to figure out what currently works versus what used to work.

(Vera user for 6 weeks. Unix for 30 years.  Lua for 10 years.  z-wave for 5 years.)

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 05:42:50 am »
Guys, I don't want to be rude and a party pooper here and I know everyone has its fair share of frustrations in regards to Vera, alongside the parts when it's actually working, when not many will actually come back and update with the good news as well.

As you may have already known we DON'T use to throw the garbage under the rug and we love and appreciate any kind of feedback we get. But please try to be constructive on another man's topic. I bet he already saw the other topics where Vera is bashed, and you can also create your own at any time you wish. That being said, I will remove any more NON-constructive replies.

Thanks for understanding.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:45:29 am by Sorin »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 08:40:29 am »
Guys, I don't want to be rude and a party pooper here and I know everyone has its fair share of frustrations in regards to Vera, alongside the parts when it's actually working, when not many will actually come back and update with the good news as well.

As you may have already known we DON'T use to throw the garbage under the rug and we love and appreciate any kind of feedback we get. But please try to be constructive on another man's topic. I bet he already saw the other topics where Vera is bashed, and you can also create your own at any time you wish. That being said, I will remove any more NON-constructive replies.

Thanks for understanding.

Sorin,

Pardon, but I don't think anyone was trying "bash" Vera by stating the truth about a system and frustrations.  Anyone can go back and re-read my earlier posts and see that I started out fresh and I got frustrated VERY quickly due to all of the issues and items that I found.  Unfortunately for me I had to learn myself.  I even spent days looking through the forum to get an idea about Vera before I bought the system to try and ensure it would fill my needs.  I was wrong on many points that have been brought up in this thread.  So I don't think anyone is trying to be negative but just matter of fact in setting proper expectations to hopefully help someone avoid severe frustration and anger over things that they soon will discover.

In the end Vera is a good system once you understand and accept the limitations.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »
7. My final view, opinion is that Vera has HUGE potential, but from a corporate perspective no interest.  They have a ripe market to take a big lead especially with a lot of SmartThings people WANTING to switch to something.  But unless Vera does a massive overhaul/modernization of their system, other players will fill the gap.  Really it's only a matter of time before Home Assistant has full z-wave support for my secure devices and then I have no reason to use Vera.

And you might want to be careful on what kind of massive overhaul is coming. Some Dev's have been here for years but alot are dropping like flys after they get a bit deep in the pile.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,56970.15/topicseen.html