We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE switch 45609, need neutral?  (Read 10385 times)

Offline shenders1

GE switch 45609, need neutral?
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:30:28 am »
First z wave install. GE #45609. I thought I would try a simple wall switch. I connected it like the one I removed, just a line in and line out to the ceiling fan. I  have power on line in of course but operating the button I have no power to load fan.Is neutral wire connection required for this to work? No neutrals hooked up in box. Must Zwave be paired for this switch to work?. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:34:51 am by shenders1 »

Offline rogerdata

• Sr. Newbie
Re: GE switch 45609, need neutral?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:52:09 am »
Yes a neutral connection is required. The Z wave monitoring circuit and the relay need to have both the line and neutral to work. You do not have to pair in order to use the switch locally.

Offline shenders1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:57:25 am »
Thanks I hooked a neutral, just removed the wire nut on the 5 neutrals in the box and picked one. Switch does not work manually. Line in nothing out to load. What is the small wiggley white button on the bottom front of switch.

Offline shenders1

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »
OK.This attempt failed.
1.How do you pair devices?.
Took Vera over to switch and held in the little Zwave black button on the back, I suppose, no directions, and waited for a led on the switch to light up?. No lights
Vera is not set up as wireless yet. Does it have to be first?.
What lights an I looking for on the front of Vera telling me it is paired with the switch.
Switch still does not operate the load manually, never did.
Do I need to hook up the neutral coming in on the line or the one going to the load or does it matter?.

Offline Henk

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »
@shenders

As far as documentation goes:
The basics you are trying to do as for pairing devices etc are describes here:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Category:How_To

More in detail here:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Include_Z-wave_devices

Hope that helps

OK.This attempt failed.
1.How do you pair devices?.
Took Vera over to switch and held in the little Zwave black button on the back, I suppose, no directions, and waited for a led on the switch to light up?. No lights
Vera is not set up as wireless yet. Does it have to be first?.
What lights an I looking for on the front of Vera telling me it is paired with the switch.
Do I need to hook up the neutral coming in on the line or the one going to the load or does it matter?.
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline shenders1

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
Thanks Henk.

I found this  Add node
This procedure works for most Z-Wave devices except in-wall scene controllers, and handheld remote controls.

1. Be sure the battery that came with MiOS has had time to charge. If you have not already charged it, connect it using the supplied power adapter, turn the on/off switch to on, and let it charge for several hours.

2. Disconnect MiOS, connect MiOS to the battery pack using the included cable, turn the battery pack on, and wait up to 60 seconds until you see MiOS's Z-Wave light come on solid, indicating MiOS is ready.

3. Tap the Z-Wave button to put MiOS in 'include' mode, as indicated by a steady, blinking Z-Wave light.

4. Carry MiOS around to all the devices you wish to add and press that device's activate or bind button. For light switches the activate button is usually just the on/off button. For other types of devices, see the instructions that came with that device. When MiOS has successfully added a device the Z-Wave light will flutter for a second.

You can keep adding other devices. When you're finished tap the Z-Wave button again and wait for the Z-Wave light to come on solid, which indicates MiOS has successfully saved your new devices. Then disconnect the battery pack, turn it to 'off' if you won't be recharging it, and then reconnect MiOS to the power and network like normal.When MiOS's Z-Wave light comes on solid, indicating MiOS is ready, click here to reload this page.

Offline azrml

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:51 pm »
Thanks I hooked a neutral, just removed the wire nut on the 5 neutrals in the box and picked one. Switch does not work manually. Line in nothing out to load. What is the small wiggley white button on the bottom front of switch.

Put all of the neutrals back in the bundle,  and add a new wire to it,  then run that to the switch.

Offline shenders1

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »
That did occur to me while I was doing it. I will have to find a giant wire nut for that.
Thanks I will try that.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »
Fix this first. Blue LED on the switch should work as well (default behavior: On when load off, Off when load on).
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline shenders1

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »
I agree. I can't devote a whole Sunday to this so I will try again later. Thanks.

Offline mitch672

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 01:43:05 pm »
without a neutral connected, the Zwave radio does not have power, and the switch will not work.  You can split the neutrals into 2 smaller bundes, but you will need a wire connected between them anyway (they have to all be connedted together).  Home Depot has the Blue or Gray wire nuts which can handle a large # of wires as well.   In a pinch, I have also used a "ground" connected to the neutral terminal, it works, but it will not pass an electrical inspection, nor does it meet code.

Mitch

Offline shenders1

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:09:16 pm »
Thanks Mitch for the help.I will try this later on. Also have a man coming by to see if my home is a candidate for hvac zoning, like your parents home.One unit and dual thermostat zoning.

Offline shenders1

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 03:27:41 pm »
Well I took out the light switch and installed the old one. Then I installed a GE 45605 receptacle and paired it up and my dashboard sees it hoot. But it says unable to get any information on node and transmit failed on code one and the on off controls do not respond. I got closer.