Author Topic: Roll you own IP cam / motion detection for other IP cams  (Read 2477 times)

Offline radarengineer

Roll you own IP cam / motion detection for other IP cams
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »
I recently picked up a few more pogoplugs. The old (pink, v2) models are pretty easy to find on the internet for about $35 shipped.

These are basically small linux computers with 1.2GHz Arm v5 processors, 256 MB of RAM, and 256 MB of NAND flash memory. They have a gigabit ethernet port and 4 usb 2.0 ports. And that's it! So they are a little limited but they are cheap and very low power (~5watts).

I haven't had much time to mess with them yet, but I was able to install linux on one of them. It was fairly painless. It is also very easy to install a webserver and the 'xawtv' package, which, combined with a usb webcam turns the pogoplug into a little ip cam.

If you want to be a little more creative, there is a package called 'motion' that will take snapshots anytime something in the scene changes. With a little scripting you can have the newest 'action' photo saved as a jpeg and load the url as a ip cam in vera.

With this same package you can also monitored motion on other IP cams, and also publish the newest photo with motion as a different ip cam in vera.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in trying this, but I've been having fun with it.