Author Topic: HA03 Circuit Investigation  (Read 4486 times)

Offline jackpot

HA03 Circuit Investigation
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »
I have a couple of Intermatic HA03 modules that are bad. ( C5 went up in smoke) Apparrently that,s a common problem. So I decided to see if I could remove the Zwave module from them and breadboard a setup so I could to run just the Zwave module.
I have been able to get it up and running but I need some help on the "TRI" (red) wire input to the module. Is there specific timing constraints for the input ? Looks like it's input was from a half wave signal from the line side AC along with some other associated componets. I used a 555 timer to simulate the signal but the output "ZIO" (yel) is not very stable. Has anyone done this ? I would like to build a DC version that could control low voltage stuff. If I can get the thing stable I would be happy !
Here is what I determined the module pins are:

Black wire  - DC       Common
Brown Wire- Vcc      3.3 volts
Red wire     - TRI     Triac Driver
Orange wire-ZIO     trigger pulse ?
Yellow wire  - SW    push button switch on module (pullup 22k to Vcc)
Green wire  -  LED   led on module (pullup 220 to Vcc)

Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline jackpot

Re: HA03 Circuit Investigation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:06 pm »
Update:
Found out that "ZIO Orange wire" is the zero crossing input for the triac driver output.
It must have a stable 60 hertz positive input for proper operation. Ordered a crystal controlled chip so I can provide the necessary signal to this input. Right now I'm just using a low voltage ac signal from the power line for testing.

Also am working on a Pic controller to measure the pulse width on the output. Once completed I should be able to switch a bunch of individual devices on and off based on the Dimmer level sent to the module.

In the end I will have a cheap refurbished HA03 module that can control multiple outputs (relays,lights,ect) that can run on 9-12vdc.

Don't know if such a device exists on the market for a reasonable cost, but it really don't matter to me as I enjoy doing this stuff. If there is interest in this project I'm working on I will continue to update this post. If not I will just continue on my quest
without updates.
Jack
Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline Henk

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »
@jackpot

sure, keep it up. Post with pictures and schematics are even more interesting!

- Henk
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:41:58 pm »
+1 Interested for sure.  I love hacks.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline jackpot

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
Got back from vacation. (cruise to Alaska was awesome)

Anyway here is an attachment of the hardware schematic. Pretty simple using a LM555 timer after all. It runs at about 30 hertz and has an on ON time of 27ms with an off time of 5ms. This works well in interfacing to a Parallax BS2 to measure pulse widths. Stability is no longer a problem by doing it this way.

The BS2 is capable of measuring pulse widths as low as 2 microseconds. It's a great little PIC board with lots of uses and uses a Basic command set. Has 16 I/O pins. Cost about $30.00 (OEM version)

I have been able to select 8 different outputs in the BS2 based on pulse width coming from the HA03 module. Probably can do more. Got to clean up my code and optimize it for now.

The BS2 has a serial port which leads me to believe that one of you code jockeys might be able to write a pluggin for it. If there was a Vera pluggin the possiblities would endless.

I have some more pictures (scope shots,BS2,hardware board), but they are to big to attach so it anyone wants them I could PM them to you.

Jack
Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline jackpot

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
I finally got my Interface built and working. It can control 1 of 8 relays. The whole thing is powered by 12vdc. If I send a 30% dimmer command, relay 1 comes on, 39% command relay 2 comes on, and so on until at 95% relay 8 comes on. Only one relay comes on at a time.
The plan is to have a 8 channel sprinkler controller. So with a old HA03 dimmer,Parallax BS2 module, LM555 timer and some misc. parts an eight channel Zwave module can be built.

Now if I ask real nice maybe someone could write a plugin that would have 8 buttons for each zone. Each would assign a specific dimmer value that would activate each relay manually, and a timer to control when each should come on. Would be way better than 8 scenes I'm using now.
The season is getting late so watering isn't so much an issue now. But I'll be ready for next year!

Here's the link to get everything for this ....

http://www.box.net/shared/t51p7to5pvqkeulufpqu
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:36:30 pm by jackpot »
Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:15:54 pm »
For the buttons you could use LIRC2LuupDevice4SBS (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5709.0) to generate a Luup device as a code base for your plugin (start with step 5). Of course, you would have to modify the plugin code generated by LIRC2LuupDevice4SBS to match your needs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:18:51 pm by Ap15e »

Offline jackpot

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:10:31 pm »
@Ap15e.....Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I'm not much of a programmer, mostly a hardware guy. Only write code as I have to. The Parallax BS2 uses PBASIC so even I can muddle through that.
Now that I have my little device doing a 1 of 8 channels , I am working on  changing the program to make it control each output relay independant of the rest. In other words I will have an eight channel output board as each channel can be on or off without respect to what the other channels are doing. Making some good progress and hope to have the code done soon.
Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline jackpot

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:45 am »
Here are the final working BS2 programs that are working.

" 1of8" is setup so only one output can be on at a time (sprinkler control ect.)

"any_of8" is setup so any output can be on or off without respect to what the other outputs are doing.

This completes this project for me. I plan on looking into hacking a HA07 remote this winter. Will see how I it may work out.

Kind of curious what UI5 will be like when it's ready. I have seen the demo stuff but that don't really tell us how well it will work. Anyone know how soon it might be ready?
Vera 3....1.5.622

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »
[...] UI5 [...]. Anyone know how soon it might be ready?
Possibly October or November.
Dezwaved at the moment...