Author Topic: Getting started with my Vera  (Read 2371 times)

Offline chauffff

Getting started with my Vera
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »
Hi all,

I've just started learning with my Vera and two z-wave devices a week ago, and basic scene with luup is now working (thanks to this forum...)
Now I wan't to go ahead with some -advanced- scenarios.

1. I've read a lot about 'virtual device', but it's not easy to find where to start: I want to create a 3-states switch (AtHome - AwayForAFewDays - AwayForMoreDays). Is it possible ? And ... how ??? :o

2. Depending on the actual state of this 3-sates switch, I would like to arm (or not) the alarm. I think the best way is to create another virtual switch (AlarmOn - AlarmOff) for arming alarm-dependent devices (sensors, ...). After I've to set devices to create an alert inf they are 'armed' by the virtual alarm switch. Am I on the good way ?

3. Also depending on the 3-states switch, I would like to control floor heating. I need a consign-temperature value stored in a virtual device. Same as 1.: is it possible and how ??? Depending of the 3-states switch status, the real-consign-temperature will be adjusted upper or lower depending is.night, is.at.home, ...

4. All of theses switch had to be controlled trough a web interface (not UI4, to get a simplified and fully costimisable view for users) from intranet or internet. It had to be as simple as possible to be device-independant (smartphone, tablet or laptop...). Is someone had a snippets of code to know how to do ?

5. (subsidiary question): I've read over forums that we can creat a floorplan. Is it possible with UI4 ? Maybe I'm not looking well, but I've not found this function.

Thanks for your help !

Offline HouseBot

Re: Getting started with my Vera
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:50:02 am »
1. I've read a lot about 'virtual device', but it's not easy to find where to start: I want to create a 3-states switch (AtHome - AwayForAFewDays - AwayForMoreDays). Is it possible ? And ... how ??? :o

2. Depending on the actual state of this 3-sates switch, I would like to arm (or not) the alarm. I think the best way is to create another virtual switch (AlarmOn - AlarmOff) for arming alarm-dependent devices (sensors, ...). After I've to set devices to create an alert inf they are 'armed' by the virtual alarm switch. Am I on the good way ?
Look at the scene. Thats how I do this right now. Each scene is a virtual switch.

4. All of theses switch had to be controlled trough a web interface (not UI4, to get a simplified and fully costimisable view for users) from intranet or internet. It had to be as simple as possible to be device-independant (smartphone, tablet or laptop...). Is someone had a snippets of code to know how to do ?
Search for wget on the forum.

5. (subsidiary question): I've read over forums that we can creat a floorplan. Is it possible with UI4 ? Maybe I'm not looking well, but I've not found this function.
If youre not going to use the U14 but use wget you can use your own blueprints as background picture to the htm code.

Offline chauffff

Re: Getting started with my Vera
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »
Hi HouseBot,

Tanks for reply, but other questions are comming ...
Look at the scene. Thats how I do this right now. Each scene is a virtual switch.
I will test this but to be functional I need creating theses 3 scenes (AtHome - AwayForAFewDays - AwayForMoreDays) and when I select to run one I've to deactivate each other to prevent opposite scenarios to be running at same time. Other thing, what's happen to a scene after a power failure ? Is a virtual switch keeping last state ?

Search for wget on the forum.
Yes, thats the way. But I would like to integrate into a web page accessible for intra and internet. How to handle requests from outside as it seem there is not authentication for wget (I don't want to expose all devices commands to outside world)

If youre not going to use the U14 but use wget you can use your own blueprints as background picture to the htm code.
I aggree. But the idea was to command the system from the webpage and show the devices status-temp-... into the webpage.