We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Using VeraPlus  (Read 2760 times)

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
Using VeraPlus
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:02:11 am »
Would someone please point me to an actual users guide for VeraPlus? The booklet that came with the unit is a pretty good marketing brochure, but does nothing to describe how to actually use the unit.
Thank you

Offline Jamr

Re: Using VeraPlus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:33:00 pm »
This should give you a basic overview.
http://support.getvera.com/

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:37:36 pm »
I had looked through a number of those and they are good.  However, I do not recognize any of them that tell how to take the controller to a device (wall switch) and use the buttons to pair it.  I think I may have an idea, but I would really like to see some instructions so I don't hose up my system.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:24 pm »
What is the make and model of the product you are trying to pair with Vera?

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »
GE In Wall Smartswitch #12722 Z-Wave

Offline Jamr

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:34:48 pm »

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
I appreciate your response. I have watched that video several times and still do not understand how to take the VeraPlus controller to the switch (away from the computer running the UI), and using the switches on the front of the VeraPlus, pair the switch so I can then return to the computer running the UI and finish bringing the switch into my network.  I think I press the select button so that the Z-Wave light flashes, then toggle the light switch. I am then unclear as to the correct steps from that point.  I realize it is probably explained somewhere that should be an intuitively obvious place to look, but I appear to not be bright enough to understand that.

Offline HSD99

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »
First of all, try pairing the switch with your Vera in its permanent location. These GE/Jasco switches usually pair with no problems. The videos and guides should have shown you how to put the VP into pairing mode. I'd use the GUI---it's much easier. Vera will show its progress as it goes through the pairing process. Some Z-Wave + and battery devices need to be very close to Vera to pair properly, but in my experience, they are in the minority.

If you need to move the Vera---first, do you connect your Vera to your network with and Ethernet cable, or by Wi-Fi? How does your computer connect--Ethernet or Wi-Fi? Let us know and we can suggest some methods to make it as easy as possible.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »
Vera connect to the internet service (web UI) via the router to which it is connected.
You can then steer it logging to that web service (home.getvera.com) from any place in the world.
If you don't have computer which you can place near Vera (i.e. laptop), you can make pairing using a mobile app on your phone.
Or you can do the proces other way around, moving the switch close to your Vera, pairing, and then moving it to the destination place.

There is a way to do the pairing without interface (entering pairing mode, pairing device, and leaving pairing mode without using UI), but I've never used it.

Offline packman

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:37 pm »
Just cut the female end of an extension cord and wire the hot and neutral wires it to the switch. Then you can plug the switch in an outlet near the controller and pair it. Unplug the switch remove it it from the extension cord and put it in its permanent location. Repeat for the next switch. This is how I've done all my switches with no problems without having to move the controller anywhere.

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:07 pm »
First of all, try pairing the switch with your Vera in its permanent location. These GE/Jasco switches usually pair with no problems. The videos and guides should have shown you how to put the VP into pairing mode. I'd use the GUI---it's much easier. Vera will show its progress as it goes through the pairing process. Some Z-Wave + and battery devices need to be very close to Vera to pair properly, but in my experience, they are in the minority.

If you need to move the Vera---first, do you connect your Vera to your network with and Ethernet cable, or by Wi-Fi? How does your computer connect--Ethernet or Wi-Fi? Let us know and we can suggest some methods to make it as easy as possible.

>>>>When I set up the VeraPlus I used Ethernet since I had an open port and it was about four feet away.  How to I switch it over to WiFi?

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 10:18:44 pm »
Just cut the female end of an extension cord and wire the hot and neutral wires it to the switch. Then you can plug the switch in an outlet near the controller and pair it. Unplug the switch remove it it from the extension cord and put it in its permanent location. Repeat for the next switch. This is how I've done all my switches with no problems without having to move the controller anywhere.

>>>>Good idea, I will probably try that for the next one, but this one is already in the wall and I don't want to move the furniture again to take it out.

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:06 am »
1.  For most non battery devices the Vera unit does not have to be very close.  Especially if you have other devices in your network.
2.  Use a mobile device phone/tablet and login to the Vera through a web browser (NOT the mobile app).  Through the web browser you can add devices just like at your desktop.  Just open your browser and put in the IP address of the Vera unit on your local network.

I've walked around my house many times with phone in hand to pair/un-pair devices.  I have never found a need to carry the Vera unit around the house to pair anything. 

Offline fbrown

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:36:28 am »
1.  For most non battery devices the Vera unit does not have to be very close.  Especially if you have other devices in your network.
2.  Use a mobile device phone/tablet and login to the Vera through a web browser (NOT the mobile app).  Through the web browser you can add devices just like at your desktop.  Just open your browser and put in the IP address of the Vera unit on your local network.

I've walked around my house many times with phone in hand to pair/un-pair devices.  I have never found a need to carry the Vera unit around the house to pair anything.

Made sense so I gave it a try. May be too far from the controller, no joy.  I have some more z-wave devices on order, hopefully they will enlarge the mess and I can include this switch.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:50:28 am »
I think older devices have a greater need to be closer to the Vera when pairing. The oldest devices in my network are now around the five year mark, and many of them will not pair unless the Vera is within a meter or two. There are even a couple of oddballs that won't pair unless the Vera is literally right on top of them. And for some devices, the inclusion will appear to succeed at some distance, but then fail moments later in device configuration. Moving them closer together and trying again usually resolves that. Newer devices seem to fare a bit better, and distance-related behaviors overall with the Vera Plus vs Vera 3 are noticeably improved.

I've used @fbrown's approach, but I find that devices are not as stable initially vs if I take the time to do them in place. My guess is that part of the initialization process for many devices at pairing is neighbor discovery (both new device and its new neighbors), an important step in building the mesh properly, so now, I include devices as close to in-situ as possible. This has reliably improved my inclusions.

The downside of this, however, is that I have on occasion bricked my Vera (Plus) during inclusion. I usually wait a minute or two before unplugging it and moving it to the next device or back to its usual home, just to be sure it's finished its tasks and gone quiet. Alas, that seems to not be enough. Every once in a while, I get disappointed, and when plugging the Vera back in, I'll get to a blinking or solid power light and no further. I've learned how to resolve this for myself, and it's troubling to me, because the nature of the crash is a corruption to which the underlying system should be immune, but apparently, it is not (it's an OpenWRT thing, not directly Vera's problem). So key to the practice is this advice:

However you do it, take your time, let things settle as you go, and try to avoid doing too many things at once. And absolutely, positively back up (with Z-wave network backup update) your Vera before doing any inclusions or exclusions. If things go badly, you'll be glad you did. Time well spent.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.