Author Topic: Is your Geofence Lagging?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Jamr

Is your Geofence Lagging?
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:37 pm »
Just a heads up of why your geofence may be lagging.
Apparently Vera is now using Google for part of their Geofence system and it is causing delays in the controller seeing you crossing in and out of your geofence and thus the activation of scenes.
As a temporary band aid, I was told to increase the radius of the geofence to compensate for this delay.
If you wish to do this, I have instructions on how to do this here.
https://www.007systems.com/blog--how-tos/changing-your-geofence-radius

Offline Priest

Re: Is your Geofence Lagging?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:52:27 pm »
Its lagging more now with my LG XVenture than it did with my Samsung S5, but not by too much considering the size of the fence I was already using.  What is interesting is how often GeoFencing now just stops working for my wife's iPhone for about 3 days and then starts working again.  It was rock solid for her for a couple years, but has been having failures for the last few months now.

I am actually playing with some BTLE beacons now to see if I can just put a beacon in her purse and use that for arrival/departure for the house and pull the Vera app entirely out of her phone.  She uses Imperihome or a keyfob for any non-automated remote control right now and the only reason the Vera app is in her phone is for the (now flaky) geofence.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »
It seems everyone has a different experience with the geofence feature. I can only assume it is the hardware treating the GPS differently with the Vera app.
Try opening up her Vera Mobile app, turn on Geofence notifications and watch the Geofence map track you when you are leaving and entering the GPS. Does the phone give you notification of entering and leaving the fence accurately and immediately? I would be very curious to see where the communication problem is. Is it on the mobile or on Vera's side?

For me GF has and still is rock solid except for the delay lately on both of our Goggle Nexus 5X's. Coincidentally, I just updated to 8.1 and figured that may be the problem but via phone today, Vera now says they have recently changed to Google for part of their GF system and that it is causing the delay.

Offline Priest

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:34:33 pm »
turn on Geofence notifications and watch the Geofence map track you when you are leaving and entering the GPS.

I've often wondered if this would make a difference since I had notifications on for mine to test and verify before deployment to hers.... however, the issue comes in that I cant make the notifications stop for mine now.  I've turned off the notifications for mine, turned on angain and turned back off, deleted the geofence and recreated, changed phones and started from scratch..... and mine always notifies me now.  The notifications piss her off when it's my phone and we go places together. She'd lose her mind if it did it on hers and we couldnt make it stop.

Offline reneboer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:41:41 pm »
Hi,

Ok that explains the changes of late. The geofences are triggering later than up to a week or so ago indeed.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Inzax

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:42:47 pm »
Wife's google pixel 2 is about 5 minutes behind reporting entering the geofence.  I think I would need to change the radius to miles to get the desired result. 

Last day or so my phone has gotten better without adjusting the fence. 
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:36 am »
Not sure if it's just a google thing.

I use Life360 for my GeoFencing and it has been lagging badly for the last several weeks as well.  Sometimes 5-10 minutes time ranges. 

Offline Jamr

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:41:28 am »
It worked perfectly for me this morning for both leaving and entering my geofence. Very accurate.
Nice to have the lights on when I get home.
Anyone else have a similar experience today?

Offline Inzax

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 03:05:49 pm »
My Samsung S7 seems to be close to what it was before the switch.  Today, upon entering slightly delayed.  In the past I could tell you exactly which mail box I would pass when I heard the geofence "ding" upon entering.  Now, its a crap shoot.  Definitely slower.

The wife's google pixel 2 is a complete waste.    Last night, 20 minutes after she got home, her geofence kicked in.  This phone used to work as reliably as mine. 

Is there any hope to this getting fixed?

edit:spelling.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:36:52 am by Inzax »
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline Jamr

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23:58 am »
When I talked to them, I asked that very same question. They seemed to think it was temporary but had no idea when it would be fixed.
Arguably this is one of the best features of the Vera system so if it is not fixed soon, I will have to apply other means to do this.

Offline Priest

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 12:41:57 pm »
This whole thing is one of the reasons I'm playing with some BLE Beacons to see if using them for arrival and departure sensing will work better.

Offline Southern Dad

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 12:56:49 pm »
My problem with the Geofence was that it was working too well.  In the early morning hours, I go out for a walk.  You know, get those 10,000 steps in.  My road winds around a bit and my neighborhood is a big rectangle with a couple of side roads.  I got several notifications that my home switched from Home to Away mode.  I've adjusted the radius to 800 now and won't trigger it unless I am out of the neighborhood.  I've also discovered there is a delay option in the settings of the Geofence.  That helps.

Offline Priest

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 01:15:30 pm »
My problem with the Geofence was that it was working too well.  In the early morning hours, I go out for a walk.  You know, get those 10,000 steps in.  My road winds around a bit and my neighborhood is a big rectangle with a couple of side roads.  I got several notifications that my home switched from Home to Away mode.  I've adjusted the radius to 800 now and won't trigger it unless I am out of the neighborhood.  I've also discovered there is a delay option in the settings of the Geofence.  That helps.

We did have the same thing going on of sorts as well.  The center of my Geofence is about 75 Yards to the north of my actual house, the circle is a 200 yard radius, and I have a 30 second delay on changing from Home to all other modes.  This means that the circle will cover my property and us walking around down to the cul-de-sac at one end of the street...but also cover us walking or driving down to the other end of the street which is a bit further down.  We trip the fence just before turning on to our road coming in.  If I do blip outside of the fence due to GPS issue, I'm back in and okay before the delay kicks it to away.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:48:38 pm »
This whole thing is one of the reasons I'm playing with some BLE Beacons to see if using them for arrival and departure sensing will work better.

I have been doing the same thing.  I have several Rpi 3's and a Pi 0W setup for this.  I also got a Happy Bubbles to test.

Test platform has been so far with Home Assistant as it has most everything for this already built in.  Next is to try and move it to Vera as there was a project for this and I've messaged with others who have it working.

So far interior results are good.  Changing aspects of the range and such work.  Still not perfect, but to be expected without some serious triangulation going on. 

For exterior the results are poor.  The power/range of the beacons I've bought and tested with and even with my phone (Galaxy S6 Active) show that the signal is not strong enough to consistently show good status especially inside a vehicle.  Once outside and walking towards the garage then the signal is picked up.  YMMV.

Still testing/playing and looking to get some "high power" "long range" beacons for inside the cars.

Offline Priest

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:08 pm »
I'm playing with a couple radbeacons myself but i may be doing this a bit different than you.  I'm setting these up to be carried with one central receiver. If this works I'll get a couple of the usb powered ones and plug in for the vehicles. So a vehicle coming home will only trigger outdoor lighting and such...a person's carried beacon will trigger home presence. I'll put one in my wife's purse, and give a set to my parents and hers.

The central receiver is a tablet in setting up for wall mount and I'm playing with it with tasker and a few other things.