Author Topic: Is your Geofence Lagging?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline reneboer

Re: Is your Geofence Lagging?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 06:31:52 am »
My phone did receive a new version of the Android app over night and it did seem ok this morning. But once is no proof. Today I did uncheck the battery optimization option for the Vera App, maybe that helps too. Do make sure it is set to allow background activity.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Inzax

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 08:26:29 am »
After spending HOURS on the phone with google pixel 2 techs and Verizon techs, they advise this is an issue with the google pixel 2 although at this point, not officially accepted as a bug.

Best guess, its a 50/50 proposition on IF a google pixel 2 will work reliably for geolocation with the screen off.   This includes goelocation in ANY app or native interface like google maps. 

Joy.  I get to keep switching out Pixel 2's until I find one that works.
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline Richo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 03:57:41 am »
Mine isn't even working with a delay.  My Samsung S8+ worked fine, then I upgraded to an S9+ about the same time the vera and its app updated, and nothing has worked since.

Offline Beefy

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 02:30:57 am »
Mine isn't even working with a delay.  My Samsung S8+ worked fine, then I upgraded to an S9+ about the same time the vera and its app updated, and nothing has worked since.

I don't think it's your S9+ Richo as my S8+ was working perfectly until updating to android Oreo. Not sure why but geofencing hasn't worked since.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 07:04:01 am »
I'm also having problems with geofence on android (7.0) and I think it is related to power management.
For example i have two geofence locations located within about 1 or 2 km from each other. I enter first location and I don't have any message that I entered it or not (I have notifications set).
Then I open the vera app and leave it open when I enter second location - this time everything work without issues. Seems that if Vera app was in the background long enough, geofencing or app itself is disabled.

Offline vicw

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 04:56:30 pm »
I'm also having problems with geofence on android (7.0) and I think it is related to power management.
For example i have two geofence locations located within about 1 or 2 km from each other. I enter first location and I don't have any message that I entered it or not (I have notifications set).
Then I open the vera app and leave it open when I enter second location - this time everything work without issues. Seems that if Vera app was in the background long enough, geofencing or app itself is disabled.

I've been trying to get Geofence working properly on my Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones, on Android 8.1 for the last week, without much success, and I'm coming to the same conclusion - that the Android OS is preventing background operation on the Vera app when idle, preventing them from generating the notifications for Exit and Entry from and to the Geofence areas. My next test is to keep the app open while I leave and enter the area to see how it behaves.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:26:09 pm by vicw »
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline vicw

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »
I just did a walking test exiting and entering the zone, while keeping the Vera app open on the phone (On Android 8.1). This time, it reported the exit from the zone, and performed the actions I set up, but it failed to report my rentry into the zone. Yesterday, on a driving test, it failed to report the exit,  but did work on the entry.

I'm just about ready to give up on the Vera Geofencing feature, due to the inconsistent results I have been getting. Even if I could workaround the reliability/stability problems, I expect it will have a significant effect on battery drain of the phones, and the benefits would not be enough to make it worth it. I'm still open to suggestion, but I have very little confidence at this point.
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline packman

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »
Sometimes it'll work perfectly for a day or two (which is rare) and sometimes it wont work at all. Sometimes I get a notification that the command cant be sent yet it does change from home to away and sometimes I get the same notification and it doesn't change at all. Sometimes it will change from home to away but not away to home and vise versa. I have the phone settings to allow the app to run in the background and when the screen is closed. I've tried leaving and arriving with the screen on and the app open. I've changed the radius greater and less. I have never been more frustrated with an app as I have with this one!

Offline vicw

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 07:46:46 pm »
... I have the phone settings to allow the app to run in the background and when the screen is closed. ...

I"m curious what kind of a phone are you using? I don't think I have either of those options available on Android 8.1
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline packman

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 07:38:40 am »
... I have the phone settings to allow the app to run in the background and when the screen is closed. ...

I"m curious what kind of a phone are you using? I don't think I have either of those options available on Android 8.1

Huawei Honor 8 Android 7.0. There are two settings under battery: 1) to allow apps to run in the background and 2) to allow apps to be open after screen is locked.

Offline vicw

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:32 am »

Huawei Honor 8 Android 7.0. There are two settings under battery: 1) to allow apps to run in the background and 2) to allow apps to be open after screen is locked.
Those options don't appear at an overall level in Android 8.1, however, under battery, in the individual app level, it displays the time period that the app has run in the background, and for some apps, a user settable option to allow the app to run in the background. That option is not present for the Vera Mobile app, and it shows 0 time running in background.

I suspect that the app developer has failed to include that option in Vera, and I don't see how Geofence can possibly work properly without it.

I note that another app, DS Cam, by Synology, which has a comparable Geofence feature, includes that option, and on my phone, it currently shows that it has had about 18 hours of Background operation in the current cycle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:33:13 am by vicw »
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline vicw

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 03:22:47 pm »
I got very fast feedback from Vera Support for the app Battery Optimization problem on Android 8.1. They indicated that I should "remove the Vera mobile app from the battery optimization tool that you have on the mobile phone? Also please raise the radius of the geofencing to 300 meters."

The removal from battery optimization process was a bit convoluted, but I did manage to set the Vera app to "Not Optimized" Battery Optimization status. I also set the radius to 300 meters, as requested. I assume the radius change was to afford more time for the alerts to appear prior to me arriving back at home.

The change to battery "Not Optimized" on the app did allow the phone to generate alerts and notifications entering and exiting the zone, with the phone idle. Having accomplished that, I was left with the problem of pretty horrific delays with the notifications and alerts. In one case, they were so delayed that I arrived home 12 minutes before the alerts appeared and it switched Vera back to HOME mode. The 300 meter radius setting doesn't begin to solve that problem. I see that lag issue as a show stopper for me. The functionality has very little value to me unless the actions and alerts can be consistently activated within two minutes or less after entering the zone.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:31:21 pm by vicw »
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline Inzax

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 07:19:06 pm »
@vicw.  Yup.  My experience exactly.  I gave up. 

Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline vicw

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 08:37:25 pm »
@vicw.  Yup.  My experience exactly.  I gave up.

I'm pretty persistent with problem solving, but I think I'm out of gas on this one, too.

FWIW, We're on Project FI, and my testing the last few days has been on my Pixel 2 XL, but I just did a couple of walking tests using my wife's Pixel 2. Same results with both phones - it works,  but variable, unworkable long delays.  I know this could be solved, I just don't know how.

I did respond back to Vera Support, with my earlier findings, since they were gracious enough to answer my query so quickly, and to the point, on a Sunday. I appreciate their effort.
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830

Offline NelsonLin

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:03 am »
So there hasn't been a solution to this at all? Honestly, I wish I've seen this thread sooner. I was losing my mind over the lag as well.