Author Topic: Is your Geofence Lagging?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline reneboer

Re: Is your Geofence Lagging?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:05 am »
You could downgrade your Phone to Android 7 or older ::) :o. It seems the Android power safe options introduced in version 8 are too aggressive for Geofence applications to work properly as they did before. It is not just the Vera app having this problem.

Google has published this information https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/background-location-limits that does mention that Geofence information for background services are now limited to "every couple of minutes or so". It seems applications need a serious redesign for fast location services on Android 8. Hopefully Vera is working on this.

Cheers Rene
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:44:29 am by reneboer »
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline vicw

Re: Is your Geofence Lagging?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:44 am »
Trying to use Vera Geofence on Android 8 was great fun, despite the frustration, but having given up on that, because of the unacceptable lag, I rethought what I was really trying to accomplish with it.

My primary objective was to automatically switch the Vera Mode from HOME to AWAY whenever we left the house for a substantial time, and vice versa when we returned, insuring the alarm is set, locks are locked, lights on or off, etc.

Since we are diligent about enabling the alarm when we leave, I decided to accomplish those other actions using Scenes in Vera, triggered by the Alarm being Enabled or Disabled. That also has the benefit of avoiding excessive battery drain on the phone due to background operation.

The only compromise I am making is that we need to enable & disable the alarm system, which is part of our normal routine anyway, and if we we forget it momentarily, we can do that remotely, a bit later.

By the way, during my testing, I compared the Vera lag with the comparable Geofence in the Synology DS Cam app. It suffered lag times similar to Vera, but the effect of that is just that my cams will remain actively set to detect & record any motion during the lag time, so I will get a few extra video clips. I can live with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:16:00 am by vicw »
VeraEdge FW 1.7.3830