Author Topic: Arduino without radio (wired sensors directly on arduino) ?  (Read 304 times)

Offline Mai Pensato

Arduino without radio (wired sensors directly on arduino) ?
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:53 pm »
Question: is it possible to use this plugin by connecting wired sensors directly to the Arduino gateway so without using radio?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:49:28 pm by Mai Pensato »

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Arduino without radio (wired sensors directly on arduino) ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »
I think that question would best be answered on the mysensor forum, there could be a protocol that needs to be included?
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Spanners

• https://www.livehouseautomation.com.au
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:34:38 pm »
MySensors can use RS485 (wired) transport if you want to go down that path.

Offline Mai Pensato

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:27:57 pm »
To be clear: my plan is to connect the Arduino gateway via wired ethernet. So I will buy an Arduino with ethernet shield. The analog sensors I want to connect via Arduino to my Vera are already wired and powered. And on this place I also have an ethernet connection. So I don't have a need for buying two radio's and an extra arduino. I did already quite some research on the mysensors forum and also this topic here. I found some advice and hints how to do it but it's still not clear to me how to adapt the sketches so it will work. But I also have read that some Vera users have it working. So I hope some of them are still active here and willing to help me and share their solution. I have no experience yet with Arduino and programming in C.
I will also ask support at the mysensors forum.
Thanks in advance!

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:15:17 am »
My understanding is that it can be accomplished, with one caveat.  That is I don't know if MySensors code will compile if there is no radion in the sysem.

In addition go monogramming a sensor in the gateway processor, one needs to get it recognize by the network.  The tools  at the followin like will helpto complete the recognition. https://www.mysensors.org/controller/myscontroller.

Offline Mai Pensato

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:13:21 pm »
Hi JohnRob,  thanks for your reaction!
I also understood that it is possible. I only don't know how to adapt the sketch to get it working wihout a radio.
I have also read that you can use myscontroller to get the sensors recognized and included in Vera. I believe user Korttoma mentioned this somewhere.  But how to do this exactly I have not found yet.

But I am not yet at that point to integrate it into my Vera by means of the plugin.
I bought a Arduino Mega last week. I connected my analag sensors and have a sketch working that I can see all the readings from the analog sensors in the serial monitor...... but ..... the values fluctuate a lot!

To explain my set up in short:
I want to connect a sensor that is used in professional horticulture and measures the moisture content (%), fertilizer level (EC) and temperature of plants that are grown in pots or substrates. This sensor has three analog outputs (0-5 Volt) for WC, EC and T. The sensor measures every few seconds but only every 3 minutes the Volt signals on the analog outputs are changed (average of all the measurements in past three minutes).  So I am sure the signal on the analog outputs is stable.  I have succesfully connected it before to Fibaro RGBW controller that can also be used to connect analog sensors. Disadvantage of this controller is that the output is only in integers (%) but I need a more precise measurement (at least 1 decimal).

This sensor has its own power (48 Volt adapter). Per analog output it has a + and - (ground) output signal. The ground outputs are gavanically separated from the ground of the power of the sensor.   So I connected the + output on one of the analog inputs of the Arduino (A0, A1, A2) and the - outputs on the GND inputs of the Arduino. In the sketch I put a delay of 10 seconds.
I also recalculated the measurements sucessfully from the 0-1023 scale that Arduino uses to the right WC%, EC level and Temperature.
But... as mentioned the measrues fluctuate a lot. For example temperature readings fluctuate more than 2 degrees Celcius within 2 minute time frame whereit should be exactly the same or vary maximum 0,1 degree.
So something is not correct yet I think in the wiring or too much noise. I am not very familiar with electronics and no experience with Arduino.

May be someone out here knows a solution for this.
I will also ask this on forum specialized in Arduino.

many thanks in advance.

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:19:28 am »
Since my original response I've learned a few things:

1) you can compile without a radio.  Comment out MY_RADIO_RFM69 and add MY_GATEWAY_SERIAL.

2) to include a sensor on the gateway you need MYSController.zip    It is a Windows based GUI that acts like a gateway controller, allowing you to include the sensor on the hardware controller.

John