We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera as security system  (Read 6968 times)

Offline drdata

• Sr. Newbie
Vera as security system
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:13 pm »
Is anybody relying completely on Vera for home security using motion detectors, door sensors, etc.  I am wanting to replace my existing stand-alone alarm system.  I was curious if Vera was reliable enough.  I have a 2 door sensors and 2 camera's on the security side and it seems to work ok so far.  There has been just a couple of times I have questioned reliability.

Offline aecchalet

Re: Vera as security system
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
I have not had good luck with Vera's reliabilty for a security system.  The sensors sometimes don't configure (specifically Aeon Labs door/window sensors and the HRDS1 are no longer available), the battery levels are unreliable in the sensors and door locks, the batteries get used up too quickly so you have to have someone change them often in door, window, and motion sensors and door locks.  If you didn't have a security system, then using these components is better than nothing and rather inexpensive. If you have a reliably working system, my advice is don't replace it yet until you know that all of your components are working reliably with Vera2 and the battery reporting and battery life is acceptable.
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 1xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 1xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolts Schlage

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »
I am wanting to replace my existing stand-alone alarm system.

My advice: don't.  Vera's good at tying parts of your home automation network together, but for critical functions (which home security is one of) you'd want them to be autonomous and still able to behave if Vera reboots or locks up.

Offline JimMac

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »
I am currently using Vera as an alarm system BUT now also in conjunction with a DSC alarm panel.  Vera monitors a few z-wave door/window sensors and a couple of motion sensors.  That part alone has been very reliable.  I also have Vera monitoring all my DSC alarm sensors of my primary alarm.  Each have their own siren but Vera also has a strobe light.  I have been running this joint configuration for many months now and both have been flawless, no false alarms and triggers when it should.  At one point I was using part of Vera as a intrusion detection device but it was only connected to the strobe just to make sure I didn't drive my neighbors crazy with false alarms but it never happened.  It does work but it all depends on your automation environment and some Luup coding.

I don't suggest it but it did work and in my case is still working for me.  If you are protecting anything of value best to use an alarm panel.  My insurance company gives me a 10% discount if I have an approved alarm system so it payed for itself quickly plus I got the added bonus of having Vera monitor each sensor.  Besides just monitoring the sensor I can use them to triggers lights at night using the motion and door contacts.  Another plus is having Vera send me email notification of what zone(s) were triggered and a camera picture.  Best to plan your system out carefully.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:25:48 pm »
I have a weekend house in the sticks in a pretty safe area and never planned on any type of security system. My journey into home automation began with a search for remote temperature monitoring so I would know if pipes were safe. I keep internet but no phone service there so dialers were out. When I stumbled across Vera I was delighted that for the same infrastructure investment I could get not only temps at multiple critical locations, but motion sensing, door lock control (for myself and other visitors), lighting control, Heat/AC (love arriving to a cooled or warmed house!), etc (my list of toys has outgrown the footer here, lol) In truth it was not "inexpensive" (a relative term depending on ones's assets <smile>) compared to having one of those "free installation" monitored alarm systems installed, and I could have gotten a few years of that service for the same costs (and more reliable security) but Vera is (for me) infinitely more fun and has an incredible range of capabilities. (Yes there has been some "wailing and gnashing of teeth" along the way, lol) Would I use Vera to guard my 5 million dollar Picasso? Of course not, but if your security needs are light (like mine) it can provide much peace of mind and it's basic security duties have been about 96 percent reliable (much more so in more recent firmwares)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:59:24 pm by pgrover516 »
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline markbulk

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »
I am currently using Vera as an alarm system BUT now also in conjunction with a DSC alarm panel.

I have an old Moose 1100e that was in my house when I moved in.  All the sensors are still in place, it would seem like somewhat of a waste not to take advantage of it.  How did you integrate your DSC alarm panel with the Vera?  Is there an interface for what would be the simple wall-mounted key pad/control panel?

Offline ballroller

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:08:36 pm »
If someone breaks into your system and turns your lights on and off, not a big deal. Unlocking your door a much bigger deal, but the house might still be protected by the burglar alarm.

Now if they have control of your system and can turn the alarm off, open the door (or break a window)- you've basically given control up of your residence or whatever.

My comfort level is way below allowing remote access via Vera.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »
@markbulk,
For the DSC, see
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

Along with the Forum thread on the DSC:
    http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5154.0

There are a bunch of other panels also, you can look in the Main Wiki for the listings.

I am currently using Vera as an alarm system BUT now also in conjunction with a DSC alarm panel.

I have an old Moose 1100e that was in my house when I moved in.  All the sensors are still in place, it would seem like somewhat of a waste not to take advantage of it.  How did you integrate your DSC alarm panel with the Vera?  Is there an interface for what would be the simple wall-mounted key pad/control panel?

Offline markbulk

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »
@markbulk,
For the DSC, see
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

Along with the Forum thread on the DSC:
    http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5154.0

There are a bunch of other panels also, you can look in the Main Wiki for the listings.

Thanks a bunch - I had looked around - but the links have been super helpful!