Author Topic: IrrigationCaddy  (Read 16972 times)

Offline txautomator

IrrigationCaddy
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:37:10 am »
I am interested in building a control device for the IrrigationCaddy. I do not have a published API from this vendor. I have figured out most of the HTTP POST commands and believe a full featured device can be implemented in Vera.

Offline txautomator

Re: IrrigationCaddy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:38:58 am »
I have finally figured out how to use socket.http to POST to the IrrigationCaddy. I am using FireBug to gather the commands in use by IrrigationCaddy. They appear to be very straightforward so far.

Turn System ON:  "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/runSprinklers.htm",'run=run'
Turn System OFF: "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/runSprinklers.htm",'stop=off'

Scheduling commands are for the programs and are posted to index.htm. e.g. RUN NOW is Program #4, with zone 5 set to 5 mins:
"http://192.168.xxx.xxx/Index.htm", "pgmNum=4&doProgram=1&runNow=1&z1durHr=0&z1durMin=0&z2durHr=0&z2durMin=0&z3durHr=0&z3durMin=0&z4durHr=0&z4durMin=0&z5durHr=0&z5durMin=5&z6durHr=0&z6durMin=0&z7durHr=0&z7durMin=0&z8durHr=0&z8durMin=0&z9durHr=0&z9durMin=0&z10durHr=0&z10durMin=0"

I am assuming I can create a device and incorporate HTTP POSTS commands to schedule and retrieve statuses. Does anyone have a recommendation on the Device implementation that I should start with? i.e. will the above fit well with an EtherRain device code as a starting point?

Offline waynebrady

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:34 pm »
Ever got this figured out? I just purchased an IC and would like to hook it up to Vera.

Offline dtl

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »
Sorry to bump the post but search has not been fruitful...

Has anyone figured out how to control irrigation caddy with Vera as of yet? I am about to buy an etherrain but Caddy looks much more flexible if there has been progress in its control.

Thanks!

Offline hoops129

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:17:55 am »
I am interested in this too.

Offline whatuusay1

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »
I have one too... any progress?

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:01:23 pm »
I'm interested in hearing what you would expect such a plugin would do. That is - why is the IC web page insufficient for you needs? How will integrating with Vera help?

Offline Neverwhere

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:28 pm »
I am also interested in having a Vera plugin for the Irrigation Caddy.  I do not have one yet, but it would make the decision to get one (versus EtherRain) easier.

I'm interested in hearing what you would expect such a plugin would do. That is - why is the IC web page insufficient for you needs? How will integrating with Vera help?

Integrating with Vera is useful for having access to and organizing different home control devices under one app (e.g., lights, security, irrigation etc...).  I find this to be more convenient than searching for the correct app/widget among many on my tablet.  I rather not have a different widget for each type of device I am controlling (at least the less the better).

Integrating with Vera would also allow more flexibility with event triggers.

Offline golden113

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

I'd like this too.  Honestly, just being able to turn the Master switch on/off, and also individual program switches On/Off would be useful to me.

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:46 am »
IrrigationCaddy - good unit with a good web page that allows the unit to be set up easily.

I had a shot at making a plugin for the IrrigationCaddy. The result is not particularly good. It's experimental and may not be worth pursuing. Refer to attached image but keep in mind it might not see light of day.

There are a few problems:
The company 's API documentation is not overly detailed but the API interaction can be decoded fairly easily in most cases. In some cases the API calls are a little disorganised. To make use of the better API features, you need to have this firmware version or better:

ICEthS1-1.3.223 - last Updated 10 Feb 2013  see:   http://irrigationcaddy.com/Documentation.html

Lower firmware versions would not allow this experimental plugin to function. On updating the firmware:  read the instructions very carefully and in particular how to properly reset the unit.

The API returns information as json, which is great but unfortunately Vera does not have a json parser (when will this happen?). This is perhaps OK if you only want to extract one or two variables - they could be extracted using Lua's gmatch or similar. Doing any more, becomes a total hack very quickly.

To turn On/Off an individual sprinkler program - refer the on/off radio button on each sprinkler program IrrigationCaddy web page - turns out to be difficult. It "appears" you need to get all of the sprinkler program setup data. Then invert just the On/Off status and then write all the sprinkler program setup data back out to the IrrigationCaddy. This would require a json decoder to ease programming. It could be done without a parser but it's a hack. Does anyone know of a better solution or an API call to do this more directly? Is such functionality even needed?

Likewise getting the current status really needs a json decoder to ease implementation.

A couple of minor oddities: A "Run Now" command will invoke the sequencer even if the system is off. The valves will be off but the zone timers still run - turning on the system reenables the valves. I would expect that system off would reset the sequencer to the start.

The IrrigationCaddy web page is pretty detailed and it perhaps makes little sense for a Vera plugin to implement any more than say the following?

1) System On/Off:
   Turn OFF all the sprinkler progams - it's raining / it's winter.
   Turn ON all the sprinkler progams - the garden is dry.

2) Run a Zone sequence, as set up in sprinkler programs 1, 2 or 3. ie the functionality of  the "Run Now" button on each Sprinkler Program. This would allow a Vera user to run the three different sequences determined by a Vera Schedule, via the plugin. However it seems more likely that using the autonomous schedules, that is those set up in IrrigationCaddy, would be far more reliable.

So I have come to the conclusion that 1) ie the on/off function is perhaps the only useful feature for Vera users?? You could turn the unit off, if the forecast is for rain. However IrrigationCaddy allows for a rain sensor.

Would like to hear other points of view!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:32:29 am by a-lurker »

Offline nvigier

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:06 am »
The biggest issue is the non-existence of the rain delay.  At least with an on/off switch you can program something to go along with the weather functions on MCV to turn the system on and off.   I would love that feature alone.

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:49:00 pm »

Offline avmike

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »
Just tried it, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I set it up as instructed, and configured my IP, but it doesn't seem to change the status of my Irrigation Caddy.  It is running ICEthS1-1.3.234.  I see that ICEthS1-1.3.251 is available.  I'll try and update to that and see what happens.

Offline avmike

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:01:18 pm »
An Update.  It will see the status of the Irrigation Caddy and set the status of the Device in Vera.  If I click ON in Vera it will change the status of Irrigation Caddy from OFF to ON.  But if I click OFF it won't change the status of Irrigation Caddy from ON to OFF.  Also Run Prog 1 does not seem to work.

Offline avmike

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »
Just upgraded to ICEthS1-1.3.251  The symptoms are the same.