Author Topic: VeraEdge and Fibaro SD and FD won't pair  (Read 2975 times)

Offline pruuth

VeraEdge and Fibaro SD and FD won't pair
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »
Hi!

I'm newbie in this smart home scene so don't judge me hard.

I purchased VeraEdge Controller with Fibaro Smoke Detector and Flood Sensor. No matter what I do I can't get them paired. I've tried to read every instruction and tried almost everything and still when I do this sensor quick-triple-click the controller just does not see them. It always goes to "retry"-state. The devices are on the same table so they are "directly connected".

I've tried to exclude them first, no luck. Mainly because both sensor give red light indicating no pairing. I tried to add them as "generic Z-wave device", no luck. I've reset them to factory default, no luck. I tried to reset the z-wave network, no luck.

Vera took Netatmo's weather station in correctly but it's not Z-wave -device so that doesn't count, I think.

Can anyone help me because I'm getting frustrated. It's probably simple thing that I haven't tried.

P.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: VeraEdge and Fibaro SD and FD won't pair
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:41:42 am »
Hey there,

Fibaro Smoke Sensor will work just fine with Vera as it's a compatible and tested device. Especially if you tried to exclude it first.
I would advise checking this with our Customer Care team as well. Contact details in my signature.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:28:15 am »
@pruuth just a thought given you have already tried unpairing and factory reset...

You didn't import those devices them from another country (for example over eBay) did you?

The radio frequency Z-Wave uses is different in various countries - I'm just wondering given it seems your Vera isn't seeing them at all.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:38:04 am »
I found that many Fibaro devices tend to have issues with their pairing button and in some cases you need to presss it continuously (more than three times) untill it start "talking" with the controller (I had couple of units which I've almost send back as deffective untill I finally got them to work).
I've had such problem with dimmers, switches, door/window sensors, including new ones, taken straight from the box. Enough times to consider it as a "standard feature".
I don't know what is the cause, maybe the pace at which you're pressing the button matters?

Also checking frequency may be a good idea, as @Tillsy suggested.

And, maybe a coincidence, but I've got the impression that sometimes if device is too close it also has issues with pairing.

Offline pruuth

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »
Hello all!

Thank you for answering so quickly. As I said I'm newbie with z-wave but I'm learning. :)

Yeah, I tried to exclude as many people suggested. I bought the sensors and controller from same "decent" company in Finland. I've noticed that frequency thing so I won't be ordering any devices outside of europe.

I'll have to try that many more clicks -theory. I'm also close to return these even the Vera's site tells they should work together.

Thank you for good notes and advices, let's see what happens next.

I'll keep you posted.

P.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:07:26 pm »
Don't know about the Flood sensor, but I have two Smoke sensors (FGSD-002) and both work fine.

Offline Mai Pensato

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:18 pm »
Experience here with connecting several Fibato flood sensors and smoke sensors to Veraplus and Edge. No problems. Sometimes you have to click very fast and repeat it a couple of times.

Offline thief

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:05 am »
Pruuth, to be sure it is an EU version, it is marked like this: "FGSD-002 EU"

And you did like in attached picture below?

One more thing, in some Fibaro devices the bottom plate must be closed for it to pair (if there is a tamper switch)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:29:07 am by thief »

Offline pruuth

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:45 am »
Hi!

All sensors and controller have EU-marking in it. Veraedge-EU, FGSD002-EU and FGFS001-EU.

In many documents people say that "more than three times to click"

question: does that mean I have to retry more than three times or do I have to make those multiple clicks inside that inclusion 1 minute?

In addition, in flood sensor you have to keep cover open because the button is under it. Smoke detector is different story.

But thanks again.. I try to click like a maniac!

P.

Offline thief

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:53:28 am »
If you go to add device and search for fgsd002 and start the pairing process, do you see the instructions and the 60sec counter in there?
During that 60 sec Vera is trying to pair with it, and during that 60 sec you have to click 3 times the b button.
Sometimes the detection comes at the last few seconds.

Offline pruuth

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 05:38:23 pm »
Hi!

Yeah, it goes as planned as far as that 60 seconds counter but then nothing happens. I've done this many times including multiple retries after initial countdown. I've reset both sensors to factory defaults, removed batteries and then started over. No affect!

Nothing seems to help!

P.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:04:55 pm »
But thanks again.. I try to click like a maniac!

LOL - love it! :)

Ironically last night I just faced the same as you, but with a Fibaro dual switch 2.  For background I already have around 12 of these already set up, but when I added this one last week nothing happened in the first 60 seconds... but when I cancelled out of the wizard it was already on my dashboard in a heavily malfunctioning state.  I repeatedly tried to delete it, for DAYS in fact, and it was still stuck there and not working with all sorts of error messages.  In the end the only way I could get rid of it was to delete it in Vera with power CUT to the Fibaro - finally gone.

So onto last night:
1. I literally tried to pair a good 8-9 times and got absolutely nothing
2. Then when I tried again, nothing happened in the 60 seconds, but then a short time later it suddenly appeared... but was malfunctioning with all sorts of errors.  Did not seem as bad as the first time last week, but it was pretty screwed... albeit you could trigger things on and off and it claimed to be working, but nothing actually happened on the device and other errors about pairing kept coming up
3. Deleted it again, this time it deleted fine
4. Put the Fibaro through unpairing, factory reset, over and over and over again... no amount of pairing would work
5. Then, and I kid you not, a good 15 or so pairing attempts later it worked... I simply did a factory reset, paired, and off it went.  I had done that exact sequence many, many times before but this time it worked and there were no errors.  Working a treat.

I've had pairing quirks with the Vera before, but usually just do it again and it's fine, but that was a total and utter nightmare last night.  I spent a good 2 hours before the darned thing worked.  And this was a mere 1.5m away.

So I wish I could give you exact steps, but the final steps that worked were what I had already done repeatedly:
1. Held down the "B" button on the Fibaro until the LED turned yellow, let go, and pushed it again... that's the factory reset sequence for the dual switch 2
2. Engaged pairing mode on the Vera
3. Clicked the "B" button on the Fibaro three times to engage pairing mode on the device

I did that many, many times... it's just that, in total, attempt 38ish finally worked correctly.  Just as well, only reason I didn't smash the bejesus out of the Fibaro and/or Vera is that would have been hundreds of dollars in gear down the gurgler LOL :)

Hope this at least lets you know you're not alone and maybe a few more shots might finally yield success.

Offline pruuth

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 03:03:12 am »
Hi again!

Well, yesterday I did try to pair the devices approx. 45 times, no luck!

I've tried to follow every instruction that you kind people have given to me. I tried to follow other tips from the internet. Fact is that these sensors and controller does not work together. Controller seems to work somehow because netatmo weather station is connected to it. But it's not z-wave -connected device.

Any guesses, which device will fly out the window first?

Offline thief

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 03:34:42 am »
Only way to find out is try to pair some other Z-wave device.
If it doesn't pair, then Vera is to blame.

Fibaro sensors are compatible with Vera, I have 2 of FGSD-002 working just fine, and paired at first attempt.

Maybe the Z-wave chip is roasted in Vera, or some other issue.

I recommend you to contact Vera support.

Go to Settings/Customer Care

You see the contact details there.
If you choose to email them, then enable Remote access for tech support in that same page
and attach the remote access code in that email.
They will contact you pretty fast usually.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:36:50 am by thief »

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 03:36:11 am »
Hey pruuth,

I didn't see a ticket, opened, with our team. Before throwing anything, as advised, please have our team look at your system and tell which one is the culprit.

If you don't feel like calling you can also email us and make reference to this topic. Email is in my signature.

Thanks, @thief
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7