Author Topic: Association to replicate a three way switch  (Read 2009 times)

Offline glaso

Association to replicate a three way switch
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »
Hi:

I've been trying to replicate a three way behaviour with non three way switches. In other words, I want to control a light with two ore more switches.
I thought that it can be done using associations, but can't get it to work.
Right now I am using a scene in wich I have two events that trigger the scene when the controlling switch is either on or off. Then the actin is set in the advanced tab to toggle the light on or off if the scene is triggered.

That mechanism works, but sometimes is a bit slow.

I was wondering if it is possible to establish a direct communication between both switches.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Association to replicate a three way switch
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
I was wondering if it is possible to establish a direct communication between both switches.
If both are regular switches then probably not. You'd need a virtual 3-way switch / companion switch.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline michaelk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »
depends on the switch brand and what it's options are.

ACT brand allows associations of multiple taps- it's the entire reason i started with z-wave years ago actually- wanting a "3 way switch" without opening up Sheetrock to rewire.  I needed a way to shut off my basement lights when my kids leave them on without having to trudge all the way down stairs.

I have a act switch at the top of my basement stairs. Another downstairs on the end of the basement that is the kids "playroom", another at the other end of the basement in the "office", and there's a screw in lightbulb socket from intermatic in my "laundry" area.

When I single tap the switch at the top of the stairs I can turn on or off the stair light.
double tap will turn on or off the "office" and "playroom"
triple tap will turn on or off the "laundry room".

I have an intermatic switch i got from when home depot was dumping stock in the local store and it does nothing of the sort. (But i do use vera scenes to link that light with a second light in the same room- sort of like you are trying).

PS- if slowness of your scenes is the biggest problem with your setup- and you have vera 2- you probably want to upgrade to a more recent firmware. The most recent versions are pretty much instant with my intermatic switch and it's scenes- about 1in 100 times it doesn't fire instantly and i need to toggle off and back on to do it again quickly (eventually after seconds or even minutes it will figure out to do the action if i dont 'redo' it but i'm too impatient.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:05:06 pm by michaelk »

Offline michaelk

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »
to set associations (If your switches allow)-

on the vera open the items settings (the wrench in the corner of UI4). Then go to device options tab. You'll see associations section. Read your switches manuals. - for ACT I set up a "group 2" and put up to 3 devices in it that i want to react to double tap. And I can set up "group 3" that responds to triple tap. 

it's been a while since i read the act book but I think "group 1" is only for ACT to speak 'instantly' to vera or whatever controller it's linked to and that you can not tell it to directly control other devices with a single tap. For that- just use the vera scenes with the later firmware.

(again it's been a while since i read the paperwork for the switches so double check to be sure before you do anything.)

Offline michaelk

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:16 pm »
Just to add-on just got new version of intermatic (ca600) says can do "mini scenes for up to 5 devices". Assume that's some sort of associations but "instructions" say nothing to explain. Once I install and fiddle I can tell for sure.