We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Which in-wall dimmer?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline computerScience

Which in-wall dimmer?
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »
Hi folks,
I am having trouble understanding exactly what I need for a working dimming module. It seems to me that you need to buy more than one part to get a fully working switch/dimmer. But I am not quite sure hence why I'm posting here. I am looking to spend no more than 150 euro for a 2-wire (EU) dimmer that preferably has a better look than standard white switch and is able to monitor power usage (not very important). Switching locally is a must though.

Which dimmer is suited for me and exactly what parts do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
Re: Which in-wall dimmer?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »
I use these: http://www.zwave4u.com/products/en/Switch-Series/Busch-Jaeger-Duro-2000/Duwi-Dimmer-Set-for-Duro-2000.html

They come in 3 different looks.  2 wire, can be controlled locally using the rocker or remotely via Z-wave.  Less than €50, though it doesn't do power metering and you can't control other Z-wave lights from it.  If you want to control it remotely, you'll need a Z-wave remote, for example: http://www.zwave4u.com/products/en/Z-Wave-Controller/Remote-Controls/Mini-Remote-Control-white.html

If you're just looking for something to control a few switches or dimmers remotely, without fancy control schemes, control from Internet etc, I would not recommend Z-wave.  Just pick up a few radio dimmers and switches in your local DYI store for a fraction of the price.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline computerScience

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
I have a vera gateway already, do I still need a remote to control it?

and it says in the description: "A pattress box is needed for installation".

This is what I find confusing, exactly what do I need for a working z-wave dimmer both locally and through z-wave??

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »
You can control it with the Vera, but you will need something to tell Vera to turn the light on or off.  This can be your computer (using the web based control panel) or your phone (there is an iPhone app, maybe also for Android).

The "pattress box" is just the round plastic box mounted inside your wall, behind the switch/dimmer you intend to replace with a Z-wave capable one.  Assuming that you want to replace an existing lighting switch or dimmer, all you need is (for example) the Düwi dimmer set including the matching mounting frame and paddle.  Then replace the existing switch/dimmer with the Düwi unit.  You can then control it locally, or have the Vera do it.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline computerScience

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:03 am »
Got it now they are working pretty well although there is something i dislike about them:
When used locally they do not update status to vera instant it updates every 60s like a battery device which is kinda poor.
They are noisy, sounds like bees has invaded my house.

Do you also experience these stuff with your duwi dimmers?

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:50:25 pm »
The newer Düwi switches and dimmers (designated düwi.me I think) have status push.  I have one of these switches, and when I toggle it manually, Vera instantly gets a status update and triggers the scenario.  I'm not sure if those düwi.me dimmers are available yet though.

I have two regular Düwi dimmers and they don't make any noise at all.