We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 2GIG CT-30 Temp and manual changes at the stat. not updating on Vera  (Read 28701 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: 2GIG CT-30 Temp and manual changes at the stat. not updating on Vera
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:01 pm »
All 4 of the CT30s were paired while on external power [...]
Thanks for posting the capabilities. Yep, they are properly recognized as devices that do not sleep. But no association command class; so no instant reports, I think. Polling only.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline smilligan

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:59:05 am »
Oti@,

Thanks for the update on the capabilities.

1) If they show up as "devices that do not sleep" why do we get a battery icon?  (Be advised that the CT30 does have battery option)
2) I had read somewhere that the CT30s had issues with polling as well.   What has been your experience as you have helped people trying to support these?   Are these thermostats that VERA considers as "supported"?   Also, I see that VERA does support/sell a thermostat that uses a similar uSnap zWave module, so i am assuming that VERA should be able to support these CT30s from RadioThermostat.

Thanks again for your support.

Kind Regards
Sean

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:37 pm »
1) If they show up as "devices that do not sleep" why do we get a battery icon?
I'd guess that depends on the logic in Vera and what the device sends as capabilities. One option could be that Vera puts a battery icon there if the device says it has a battery / supports battery level reporting etc.; possibly driven by command class 128, which, per the posted capabilities, is reported when battery-powered, as well as when externally powered. And presumably you can have a battery in there as backup?

2) I had read somewhere that the CT30s had issues with polling as well.
Interesting. Do you currently experience polling issues, while on external power? When battery powered, my guess is this device relies on beaming (to save power), so you could have polling issues if the t-stat was out of direct radio range and no beaming-capable device in between.

Are these thermostats that VERA considers as "supported"?
My impression is that MCV attempts to support as much gear as possible, so my guess would be yes, but someone at MCV would have to speak to that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:12:38 am by oTi@ »

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:28 am »
Are these thermostats that VERA considers as "supported"?

Theoretically Vera supports all the Z-Wave certified devices. Practically it depends a lot on how a manufacturer implements certain Z-Wave command classes, or if they implement all the required command classes.

Offline smilligan

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:39 pm »
oTi@/mcvflorin:

My question "Does VERA support the CT30" was mean to say: 

Does anyone have reason to believe the RadioThermostat did not implement "real zwave" thermostat class?    To put this question into perspective:  RadioThermostat labels the CT30 w/ uSnap zWave module as a 'zWave" device.   But we all know that the accreditation does not necessarily mean adherence to the standard.  So, has anyone at MCV found certain messages to/from the CT30 that would imply the CT30 is not truly zWave compatible.  (For example, the Trane EMS behaves flawlessly with all zWave controllers including VERA.   The intermatic CA8900 is 90% as reliable as trane...  But the behaviour of CT30 has proven to be unpredictable and sporadic.   Does anyone have any specific message logs that show the CT30s deviate from the zWave class standard?

oTi@ : I think i understand your comment that if the device has battery capability and external power capability, it will still show the battery icon even though it has on-power capabilities.   Thanks for this headsup.   The question is that even if on-power will the CT30 stay awake all the time, and will it repeat?

As for polling issues;  It is too early to say we have polling issues.  All i can say is that we are experiencing similar problems to those detailed by Bill (Flint Air Force) posted on COT19 in this thread.   We can send commands from VERA to CT30 realtime without issue.  But asynchronous (unsolicited/non-polled) events that occur AT the thermostat directly can take hours to show up in VERA.   This is especially true of ambient temperature readings.   

I guess i am spoiled by the performance of the TRANE EMS..

So i am sure the next question is "Well, then why are you using CT30 instead of Trane"
And the reason is because the CT30 is more versatile .   It has dry contacts or 24vAC capability on "Y" thereby making it a great thermostat for controlling "mini splits" that accept dry contact to "call for cool".   Also, the CT30 can be used with 24vAC, 24vDC or Battery.   Making it a "one thermostat" fits all of our hotel applications.   Yes, we could use relays with TRANE but this drives up the integration and support costs.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sean

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »
The question is that even if on-power will the CT30 stay awake all the time, and will it repeat?
The capabilities that you posted indicate that it should. It would probably lead to delays and such if it actually didn't. Polling the device manually should be successful every time, to see if it is awake all the the time. And I suppose you could manually route access to another node through the t-stat (presuming you have Z-Wave firmware 3.20, and manual routing enabled), to see if repeating works.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:31:51 pm by oTi@ »

Offline bcbix001

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
I also have 2Gig and have frequent issues.  The radio icon on the display drops out and I need to reset it (pull off the cover and push a button) and then it works great for a few days or a couple weeks.  The heal function on the vera seems like it might be working to re-establish communication without actually being there.  My solution is to replace it with a Honeywell.  If that doesn't work, I'll install a remotely (zwave) powered relay that I can use to cut power to the device as that seems to reset it.

Offline smilligan

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:09 pm »
BCBOX001,

We had a similar issue with one CT30 recently where resetting it (reset button inside) allowed us to poll device.
I hope this is not a trend as we have 7 of these installed in this house.

Thanks
Sean

Offline mbushell

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:24:07 am »
I have the same problem, the CT 30's seam to drop out of the zwave network, no rhyme or reason, I have been trying to resolve this forn a year now;  at the suggestion of Barry at ASI I have also installed some Evolve outlets with the capability of beacon repeating... still the same issue;  I have to do the physical reset at the thermostat; I have them connected to permanent power, they are not on battery... I like the idea of a zwave enabled relay to cycle the power for a reset.. can you suggested a specific relay?  This is very disappointing as I have seven of these thermostats.. I will try a new Nest Thermostat the run on a typical wireless network or go back to good old chronotherms if this continues..

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »
We can send commands from VERA to CT30 realtime without issue.  But asynchronous (unsolicited/non-polled) events that occur AT the thermostat directly can take hours to show up in VERA.   This is especially true of ambient temperature readings.
So I got one to use as fancy temperature sensor play with:
- You can push data to it at any time; apparently, it must require beaming, or battery life would not be good.
- It doesn't support associations or wake-up, so I think that implies the only way to get data from it, is through polling.
- Manually polling seems to work every time, but I have not checked to see if auto polling is irregular, as you stated. (Note that the polling interval is determined by the number of 'pollable' devices in your network. I guess you could set up a timed scene to poll the device more frequently / at a known rate.).
- Polling does not appear to get local/manual setpoint changes. I have not seen a local setpoint change show up so far (i.e. in a few days): bug #1977.
- Maybe too early to have run into the reported 'lost comms' issue?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:43:12 pm by oTi@ »

Offline smilligan

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »
Oti,

Everything you listed (symptom/issue) in previous email is spot on with our findings..

I had previously indicated that ambient temp was not real time, even after a forced poll, but in fact it is the set temp (at t-stat itself) that do not get updated, even after a manual poll.

Thanks for the BUG you posted/created...  However, my guess is that this is a bug in the CT30 uSnap module, and not in the VERA.   Nonetheless, if there is a work around that can be implemented in the VERA taht would be great.

As for the comms issue:  It seems sporadic.  We have a number of the CT30s installed at a specific locations, and have only experience lost comms on one..   I suspect we will have more issues in the future.

Let me know if you guys find out anything relative to the bug post.

Thanks for your support.
Sean

Offline sdtoddl

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:05 am »
Was anyone able to get the Vera to actually change the temperature on the CT-30 when on batteries?   I am using the Vera 3.   It is unclear how to actually set your desired temperature.   I may be able to increase the temperature over the current temperature.  (I am waiting to see if that actually happens), but it definitely isn't clear how you can lower the temperature.  For the heating, there is just a + and - button that just shows a single number.    Using the thing is as painful as using the captcha on this forum.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 11:28:00 am »
@sdtoddl,

Welcome!

Was anyone able to get the Vera to actually change the temperature on the CT-30 when on batteries?
That appears to work.

Offline sdtoddl

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 12:20:09 am »
Thank you.  I was actually able to figure it out.  The documentation and the user interface just sucks.  It was unclear that you should just put your desired temperature in that field.   What also led to my confusion is if I put just +1, it would eventually add one degree to the current temperature. 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:38 am »
It was unclear that you should just put your desired temperature in that field.
That's right; those values represent the current set points. You can enter new values, or use the +/- buttons to make the value go up/down.