We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 2GIG CT-30 Temp and manual changes at the stat. not updating on Vera  (Read 28703 times)

Offline smilligan

Re: 2GIG CT-30 Temp and manual changes at the stat. not updating on Vera
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »
Hello,

oTi, thanks for the testing CT30 on UI5.

As you are aware the CT30 has some zWave comm issues in terms of updating, or when polled automatically.  Polling manually seems to be a little more consistent.

Our testing leads us to believe the problems are in the CT30 zWave uSnap module itself.  In the fact that it does not communicate ambient and or set temp real-time to the VERA UI4 interface.   The reason we feel it is the CT30 is because we tested on the Schlage link, and have same experience.

The reason for this email is to see if you are getting better behavior/experience on UI5?  I do not imagine UI5 could have fixed the CT30 comms issue relative to its properties/status, but if you are able to make change at the physical t-stat and ALL properties are propegated properly to the UI5 interface, then maybe our assumption that the problem was in the CT30 was incorrect.

What are your thoughts relative to UI5 and CT30?   (Have you experienced the issues w/ CT30 on UI4 that many people in this thread have mentioned?)

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sean

Offline vfleck

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:54 am »
Hello All,

I have a Vera3 and UI5 and a 2Gig(battery only) the temperature seems update about once a hour. I also have a Trane it also seems slow to show temp. If there was a way to force a reading that would be helpful. I was hoping to track temperature and gas usage but I think its beyond Vera and 2Gig. My trane has a usage graph any way to track this data?

Vince

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
@vfleck,

Welcome!

[....] 2Gig [...] the temperature seems update about once a hour. [...] Trane it also seems slow to show temp.
The 2Gig should get polled automatically by Vera; depends on the number of other devices you have, how often that happens. It appears only the ambient temperature gets polled; not the set points (for heat and cool).

The Trane reports changes autonomously, as they occur.

If there was a way to force a reading that would be helpful.
You can use the Poll now button on the Settings tab under the wrench of the respective device.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:52:23 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline joel

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:23 pm »
I also recently (2 days ago) installed a new 2GIG CT-30, running on external power. I do see correct ambient temperature updates (reasonably close to real time), but I do not see changes to target settings made at the thermostat reflected back to my new vera 3 (forcing polling does not help).

I have been able to successfully use Luup via http to remotely set target temperatures (as well as read CurrentTemperature).

I was also hoping for the ability to monitor when the thermostat turns the HVAC system (heat/cool) on or off. Unfortunately there is no way to do this that I can see. The Status (i.e. urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1) doesn't seem to change any behavior -- its purpose remains a mystery. The fact that target setting changes made at the thermostat aren't reflected back precludes just comparing ambient to target (within Swing value).

So the 2GIG CT-30 only covers 2 of 3 scenarios I was hoping: I can remotely change the target temperature, and I can remotely read the ambient temperature. Any kind of reliable monitoring scenario is unlikely.

I probably haven't had the thermostat installed long enough to comment about z-wave communication reliability. I only noticed one instance when vera 3 had to retry several times to get a reading; otherwise z-wave has been fine.

Thanks - Joel

Offline bcbix001

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:33 am »
I was also hoping (expecting) to be able to monitor how often the t-stat was calling for heat and have not been able to do it (largest energy user in house is furnace but can't monitor it).  I also like to able to monitor the gas burner status...since I have a boiler system, the t-stat turns on the circulator but the burner only runs  if the water temperature is also below 180F.  I wanted to monitor burner usage as a way to size a new furnace....see how much of the time the burner runs on the coldest days.  Right now though the communication dropouts with my CT-30 are preventing me from even changing the setpoint.  Very aggravating.  I wish I knew whether replacing the USNAP module would fix the problem.  I have bought a Honeywell but have not installed it yet.

Offline autotoronto

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »
I'm happy (unhappy?) to confirm that the CT-30 doesn't appear ever to transmit its current set-points, either when they're changed manually or when the device is polled.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:02 pm »
I was also hoping for the ability to monitor when the thermostat turns the HVAC system (heat/cool) on or off.
The ModeState variable reflects that. It appears to work for the CT30. (But you must poll the device to get the current status, and refresh the Dashboard to see the updated values there.)

Offline joel

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 02:34:59 pm »
The ModeState variable reflects that
Cool, I was able to eventually get that variable to reflect the correct state after polling a few times. Getting close! But I need to get UserState via a luup request. For example, I can use
http://myzwaveip:3480/data_request?id=variableget&UDN=${UDN}&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1&Variable=ModeStatus
to get the ModeStatus variable (which I assume is the setting on the thermostat, not the actual operating state).

What is the UDN for ModeState?

Is there an http request I can send to force the equivalent of Poll now in UI?

Thanks for your help -- Joel

PS: I'll also post this question in the Advanced forum, since it's relevant to lua programming.

PPS: Solution:

First I sync state with a Poll call to thermostat device (mine is #23):
http://myzwaveip:3480/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=23&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1&action=Poll
After polling job completes, query whether the furnace is Heating or Idle:
http://myzwaveip:3480/data_request?id=variableget&DeviceNum=23&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HVAC_OperatingState1&Variable=ModeState"

Being able to monitor the state of the HVAC power is now possible.

Also, after 2+ weeks, I've not seen any Z-Wave communication issues from my vera3 (firmware ver 1.5.254) to CT30 device.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:59:45 pm by idatum »

Offline smilligan

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
Hello all,

After two+ months of testing the CT30 with zWave uSnap module we continue to experience problems.
We have purchased 10.   7 of which went into production, and three for testing in our labs.
In addition we have 2 3m50 (CT30 with Wifi uSnaps)

We have configured with 12vDC and found the 3M50 did not work.  However, when we switched to AC source, it seemed to work OK.
Our CT30s are using 12vDC and we will make one last test using 24vAC source: but are pretty sure problems will persist.

Here are the results of our tests:
1) zWave communication stops:   This requires a physical visit to the t-stat to reset (button or power recycle; but power recycle will only work if not using battery).   This seems to happen at least once every two weeks.
2) the CT30 with zWave does not communicate Set Temp (heat or cool) .

We are going to discontinue use of the 2Gig/Radiothermostat Thermostats due to poor behavior and even poorer tech support.

We have found it to be a very immature product;   The intermatic 8900 and Trane thermostat outperform the Radio Thermostat by an order of magnitude.

Our primary reason for investigating RadioThermostat was universal application with different power sources, as well as Y output being able to be Common passthrough, or dry contact simulation.  Unfortunately the poor performance negates any upside to universal application.

Too bad their product is unreliable, and unworthy of commercial applications where support and reliability are paramount.

For home or personal use, where you can reset the t-stat and do not need accurate set temp reading, it might be acceptable.  But still a lot of work to support.

I hope this information helps in other integrators that are considering use of the Radiothermostat for production installations.

Kind Regards
Sean

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »
@smilligan,

FWIW, I have not bumped into the communication issue; the t-stat is still communicating (to a Vera nearby) after 2+ weeks. The setpoint issue is on the Vera side.

Offline smilligan

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »
Oti,

Thanks for the reply.

1) What VERA and UI version are you using for your test with CT30?
2) What voltage supply are you using?
3) It is interesting that you say teh "set temp" issue is VERA as we do not experience that with any of our Intermatic/InTouch and Trane T-stats.  That being said, do you feel this an issue that will be  resolved in future UI4 or UI5 releases?  Or is there a way to overcome it in LUA?   Also, i tested the CT30 with a Schlage link and had the same issues:  lost comms and inability to get Set Temp.

I am very interested in trying to salvage the integration effort with CT30 but the support has been another stickler.  But it universal application makes it a more suitable product for

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Sean

Offline smilligan

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:35 am »
oTi@,

Thanks for your reply.

* FREEZE: ok, so you are using battery power only..   We are using 12vDC and experiencing freeze up on regular basis.   This info helps alot as we will move to 24vAC source and see if problem goes away.  I will let you know outcome of tests over next 3-4 weeks.

* Set Temp:  I understand what you are saying "VERA polling does not ask for Set Temp"...   Do you know if MiCasaVerde is going to address this in either UI4 or UI5 releases?

* Trane:  Sorry for the confusion i created about Trane.   Our Trane installations (about 30 at this point) have been rock solid.   What i was trying to say is that when using the Schlage link bridge/gateway with CT30 we experience same issue with CT30 not getting Set Temp.   But maybe this is because the Schlage Link bridge does not poll either.

Let me know what your thoughts are about VERA changes that might support "polling" of set temp. 

Thanks again for all your support on this.  We would love to stay with the CT30, because it has universal application.   However, if we cannot resolve the above two issues, we will need to remove them and replace with Trane.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Sean

Offline gelert

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 11:11:01 pm »
Is MCV working on the setpoint polling issues? (bug 1977)
Thanks!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:15 am »
* Set Temp:  I understand what you are saying "VERA polling does not ask for Set Temp"...   Do you know if MiCasaVerde is going to address this in either UI4 or UI5 releases?
Is MCV working on the setpoint polling issues? (bug 1977)
Thanks!
You might want to give the new public beta a spin...

From the Release Notes:
MIOS_SRC
[...]
             ct30 fixup
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:11:45 am by oTi@ »

Offline smilligan

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:12 pm »
Florin/Aaron,
Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by "CT30 fixup" in the release notes fo 1.5.322 public beta?
Thanks
Sean