We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton Zone Controller: Different Scenes for Activate and Deactivate Possible?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline tedp

I am looking through this thread: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6178.0 trying to figure out if it's possible to assign a different scene to the "activate" and "deactivate" of a zone controller's button.

I have 3 scenes that turn on a set of lights when activated, and turn off the same set of lights when deactivated by a zone controller's button. That works great.

However, with one of the zone controller's button I'd like to have a scene executed when the button is activated, and a completely different scene executed when the button is deactivated. It seems this should be possible based on the zone controller's settings (AUTO_GENERATED method) or the event method for a particular scene.

However, what seems to happen is that only the scene assigned to the button's "activate" state is executed. Nothing happens when I try and press the deactivate state of the button.

Reading through the threads, it seems that zone controller configuration is a bit of a pain. Maybe I've hit upon a "feature" I don't quite understand???

Thanks
-Ted

Offline PurdueGuy

You have the Leviton VRCZ4?  Or the older one?  With the newer one, you can essentially call 8 different scenes with it.  And Vera will turn the lights on when she thinks the scene is active.  (not 100% right for me, but close enough).

Sometimes when I change my scenes, I have to hit "Configure node right now" (Wrench -> Settings -> "Configure node right now") to get them to be pushed from Vera to the controller.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline big517

• Beta Testers
Yes 8 zones/scenes.   and I'm pleased to find it WILL control SCENES with Vera, not just Zones, and I saved money over the Scene controller which i'm still not sure the benefit of other than a direct load on the bottom button.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
[...]and I'm pleased to find it WILL control SCENES with Vera, not just Zones, and I saved money over the Scene controller which i'm still not sure the benefit of other than a direct load on the bottom button.
Vera only has the notion of scenes. Both scene and zone controllers can be used. As far as I'm aware the only difference is that the zone controllers have on and off buttons, the scene controllers have single buttons. Therefore, I'd recommend the zone controllers.

I think pricing is about the same for the scene or the zone flavor. You can get each with local load control; which of course is more money. The local load can (but doesn't have to) be assigned to any of the controller's buttons.
Dezwaved at the moment...