Author Topic: 3way solution like I have with Control4  (Read 599 times)

Offline str1der

3way solution like I have with Control4
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »
I'm transitioning from Control4 to Vera. I currently have a 3way solution setup on Control4 that I would like to duplicate with Vera. Setup is like this. 3 button keypad at top of stairs in single gang powered by the main with the traveler capped. At bottom of stairs 2 dimmers in a double gang. One is the other side of the 3-3 way circuit for stair lighting and the other dimmer is for the family room. Right now the two dimmers can control the lights and the keypad is set for 3 functions. top button turns all on, middle button turns all off, and bottom button acts as the other end of the 3 way turning the stair light on or off. I can't seem to find anything hardware wise like this setup for Vera. Are there no button keypads that operate like this? Thanks.

Offline Priest

Re: 3way solution like I have with Control4
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:09 pm »
You'll set up 3 scenes:

Scene 1 the top button will be the trigger and you set the actions to turn all on

Scene 2 the middle button will be the trigger and you set the actions to turn all off

Scene 3 is where it gets more interesting.... make a scene with the bottom button as the trigger and dont set anything in device actions. get yourself to step 3 of the scene creation where you can see the section "Also, execute the following Luup code:" you will add the following but you MUST change the dID from 23 to whatever the device ID of your stairway light is.  This code will check the status of the light...if it is on it will turn it off, if it is off it will turn it on.  You can find your device ID by clicking on the device in the dashboard and then hitting advanced.  At the top of the advanced page in larger font it will say "device #__".

local dID = 23         
local status = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",dID)
 if status == "1" then
    luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","SetTarget",{newTargetValue=0},dID)
 else
    luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","SetTarget",{newTargetValue=1},dID)
 end

Offline str1der

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:15:26 pm »
Thanks for the programming info. Are there three button keypads out there like the ones for control 4 that hardwire into the gang box?

Offline Priest

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:48:33 pm »
I have some 7 button controllers and I've seen several 3, 4, and more button controllers.  I like my 7 button ones though

Offline str1der

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:09:42 pm »
Any particular ones you can recommend?

Offline Priest

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:06:17 am »
My 7 button controllers are Enerwave ZWN-SC7 and they work well.... however, they are slow to respond to a second button push.  You push the button and they send the command and Vera responds immediately.  But the button you just pushed is now flashing and any subsequent button pushes are ignored for about 4 seconds.  Once the light goes solid you may push another and it works.  Since I use these for scenes that I'd unlikely need multiple button pushes in a short time frame it's fine.  I have one in the hall by my children's bedrooms and the top buttons are "Go to bed" buttons for each of my children, the other two buttons on either side are direct control for their fans and sound makers, the bottom big one toggles the hall light on/off.

I have interest in finding another controller similar to see if I can make it respond faster.... of course I might should contact Enerwave and see if I change a parameter in my controller if it changes the wait time as well. 

I dont have any direct experience with any other hardwired wall controllers, so I cant recommend something else.