We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin  (Read 287573 times)

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
Re: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:43 am »
What do you want me to share?
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:15 am »
Hi sander,

Not entirely sure but if you say you have a USB hub conected into a USB slot and two USB sticks attached respectivly to the hub, one for Vera logging and one for datamine, and this is working long term even with power cycles, then you are, I believe, the only one able to achive so would be great to know what's different with your set up compared to others.

Not trying to be facetious just keen to know why yours is working when others are not and the cifs soloution implimented as a fix.

Are you certain everything is mounting corectly each time after restart? Is data staying put after set periods of time?

Mine worked great until a reboot then needed fixing each time it rebooted, I have a nightly reboot so this was a pain.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #752 on: January 07, 2014, 10:46:02 am »
Hi sander,

Not entirely sure but if you say you have a USB hub conected into a USB slot and two USB sticks attached respectivly to the hub, one for Vera logging and one for datamine, and this is working long term even with power cycles, then you are, I believe, the only one able to achive so would be great to know what's different with your set up compared to others.

Not trying to be facetious just keen to know why yours is working when others are not and the cifs soloution implimented as a fix.

Are you certain everything is mounting corectly each time after restart? Is data staying put after set periods of time?

Mine worked great until a reboot then needed fixing each time it rebooted, I have a nightly reboot so this was a pain.

100% sure. It works for over more than one year ad I reboot often. Previously on my Vera2. I recently migrated to Vera Lite and then I had no issues at all and datmine picked the corret stick directly...
So what do you want to know/see. I'll attach some screenshots.

Update:
I have 3 USB devices:
1 stick for datamine
1 stick for USB logging
1 USB cable for the dutch power meter

previously on vera2 on 2 usb ports and one hub (2 stick in the hub)
now on vera lite all 3 in the hub
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:47:47 am by SanderL »
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:28 am »
So could it be that the issue is only seen on UI5 Vera 3?  (this is what I use and others I saw that had my problem also) so could there be a difference for Vera Lite compared to Vera 3? I am envious if it is working well for you as I spent a bit of time changing my set up to get it stable and working and although I have achieved it a simple set up with a hub would have been much easier.

So I guess out to the forum:

- do you have a hub + Vera logs on one USB stick and Datamine on another USB stick working long term and in harmony?
         -- If you do are you on a Vera Lite?

Interesting - thank you for sharing :-)

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2014, 11:17:31 am »
So could it be that the issue is only seen on UI5 Vera 3?  (this is what I use and others I saw that had my problem also) so could there be a difference for Vera Lite compared to Vera 3? I am envious if it is working well for you as I spent a bit of time changing my set up to get it stable and working and although I have achieved it a simple set up with a hub would have been much easier.

So I guess out to the forum:

- do you have a hub + Vera logs on one USB stick and Datamine on another USB stick working long term and in harmony?
         -- If you do are you on a Vera Lite?

Interesting - thank you for sharing :-)
No problem, let me know if you need more information abou my setup.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »
It's great to hear the use of two separate USB keys has worked long term for both Vera logging and DataMine data

I had it working on my VeraLite for a month or two, but then for some reason Vera got into a mess and reformatted my DataMine data (months and months worth of data lost) and made that key the focus for USB logging.

It's for that reason - I'm so glad I finally got DataMine writing to an external share on a NAS.
I still use the hub for Current Cost energy and USB logging, but it seems more comfortable with just the one storage mount.

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #756 on: January 07, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »
I havent read that writing to a nas is also sticky after reboot. I it is I also want to think about changing that. Is it possible to also "start" datamine directly on the nas without using the vera interface? Thus now you can start via http:// vera/dm. But you can't do that via cp.mios.com. and can then maybe be done directly on the nas... in another thread I asked for a step by step guide to get datamine running on a nas. Is that somewhere available?

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #757 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:25 pm »
SanderL

As I understand it DataMine only runs locally on Vera (when you are on the same network), your Nas is just used for storage of the config file for the captured data.

My external logging is working well and survives any reboots, I've just updated the How To - post I started. Maybe that will help you if you are looking to do it.

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #758 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:20 pm »
There is also a gd how to by an anouther user just a handfull of posts back, its in Spanish but google tanslate fixed that ;) was what I used. Have not seen parkerc,s how to but bound to be gd; kudos to you sir.

Offline Aegis

« Reply #759 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
This plugin continues to perplex me.  I have now had "Store Logs on USB Device" unchecked all day and it appears that the USB remains unrecognized although formatted in fat32.  However, the channels I monitor (ambient temps of 2 Tstats) show data all day long.  Where is that data being stored?  Also note the yellow triangles with exclamation points on the channels though the upper right corner green circle indicates communication/online status.

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #760 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:56 pm »
If the  \dataMine  directory has been created under root by the plugin (noting that clean new installs will fail to do this) then there are two possibilities:

a) the USB stick is not mounted or incorrectly mounted:
Data will be still be stored and will be found under the \dataMine  directory. However it will be stored in Vera's memory.

b) the USB stick is correctly mounted:
Data will be stored on the stick and will also be found under the \dataMine  directory. However, if any data was previously stored in Vera's memory, before the stick was mounted in the dataMine directory, it will still be there but hidden. Mounting the stick hides/overrides any existing files located in Vera's memory in the mount directory.

This can be determined by looking at the memory size available as seen on the "dataMine" tab. A correct installation will, for say a 8GB stick, show:  "Disk Space Total (kb) 7,812,864".

If you using Vera memory then you will see figures that are about one thousand of this, as per image above, that only shows "11,264".

Some people use another computer to put a \dataMine directory on their stick and then try and mount it. This is incorrect but may work.

Users should always look at the dataMine's own error log. If it says there is an error then there probably is.

For those doing a brand new install this works:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,7750.msg134271.html#msg134271

All of the above becomes more problematic when users try to log to the USB stick as well - for reasons not fully understood?

Offline Aegis

« Reply #761 on: January 07, 2014, 10:10:38 pm »
If the  \dataMine  directory has been created under root by the plugin (noting that clean new installs will fail to do this) then there are two possibilities:  I don't think the folder was ever created by the plugin.  I labeled it when I formatted the USB stick, but it was never recognized, so I checked "Store Logs on USB Device" and  the label was wiped.

a) the USB stick is not mounted or incorrectly mounted:
Data will be still be stored and will be found under the \dataMine  directory. However it will be stored in Vera's memory.  How would you access Vera's memory to verify?

b) the USB stick is correctly mounted:
Data will be stored on the stick and will also be found under the \dataMine  directory. However, if any data was previously stored in Vera's memory, before the stick was mounted in the dataMine directory, it will still be there but hidden. Mounting the stick hides/overrides any existing files located in Vera's memory in the mount directory.  How do you mount the stick?

This can be determined by looking at the memory size available as seen on the "dataMine" tab. A correct installation will, for say a 8GB stick, show:  "Disk Space Total (kb) 7,812,864".

If you using Vera memory then you will see figures that are about one thousand of this, as per image above, that only shows "11,264".

Some people use another computer to put a \dataMine directory on their stick and then try and mount it. This is incorrect but may work.  How do you get the plugin to create the directory?

Users should always look at the dataMine's own error log. If it says there is an error then there probably is.How do you access error log?

For those doing a brand new install this works:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,7750.msg134271.html#msg134271

All of the above becomes more problematic when users try to log to the USB stick as well - for reasons not fully understood?

Sorry for all the questions, I lack some of the basic foundational principles of this stuff...namely Linux I guess...just downloaded puTTy...babysteps
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:32:41 pm by Aegis »

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #762 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
I labeled it when I formatted the USB stick, but it was never recognized, so I checked "Store Logs on USB Device" and  the label was wiped.
It appears that "Store Logs on USB Device" formats the stick - that's a big problem.

How would you access Vera's memory to verify?
A lot of users download SCP and use that to login into Vera and then manipulate the files therein:
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

How do you mount the stick?
Normally the plugin does this, if it finds the dataMine directory to mount to. Review the mount command in any Linux doco. You can use SCP to do it manually.

How do you get the plugin to create the directory?
New installs don't - that's the current problem. You can use SCP to do it manually.

How do you access error log?
Normally that's available in UI5 on dataMine's device page on the dataMine tab labelled "dataMine debug page". To see all logs you can install the infoViewer plugin:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13477.0.html

Offline Aegis

« Reply #763 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:20 pm »

Offline Aegis

« Reply #764 on: January 08, 2014, 06:37:37 am »
Maybe not...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:32:09 am by Aegis »