We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin  (Read 287697 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:59 am »
I have attached a few screenshots. Logging into vera via ssh and look at the dataMine directory, it does not appear the thermostat mode state is being saved. What I mean by modestate is if the thermostat is idle, heating, or cooling. Let me do some more looking.

- Garrett

Offline Chris

« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:33 am »
Ah - ok, I thought when you said "graph page" that you mean the graph had an exclamantion mark. Ok, so this exclamation mark in the list means there's been no data received in 24 hours, sounds to be consistant with you not seeing any data. I assume that this is actually changing periodically (sorry for the stupid question!).

I'd look in the log and see if there's any thing "interesting" in there - eg an error report saying dataMine has crashed or something (it could crash in the variable notification code for the mode state, and probably still be ok for the others). It may be that there's something not initialised correctly with the lookup array between numbers and names - I just changed that slightly recently to try and accommodate different versions of json.lua, so I may have messed up "slightly"...

Chris

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:32 am »
Let me look at the logs and I'll post my findings. I actually have my thermostat turned off in the last day (I have the windows open as it is beautiful outside). This could be why.

- Garrett

Offline Chris

« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:41 am »
Let me look at the logs and I'll post my findings. I actually have my thermostat turned off in the last day (I have the windows open as it is beautiful outside). This could be why.

Could be - the exclamation mark just means no data in the past 24 hours - maybe I should increase the times on these (??). Currently you get the orange warning icon after 1 hour, and the red icon after 24 hours (I'm open to suggestions, and I could possibly make it configurable).

You presumably don't live in the UK - summer seems to be passing us by!  :(

Cheers
Chris

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2012, 07:30:45 am »
No live in the US and the summer has been pretty good so far (hopefully it wont be a real hot summer!). I will try and record another device and see what happens. I guess it only records the data once the value changes and not at a set interval?

- Garrett

Offline Chris

« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2012, 07:36:08 am »
I guess it only records the data once the value changes and not at a set interval?
Yes - just the changes are recorded. The only thing I update on an interval basis is the real-time graph (which doesn't work properly in the current version of the UI, but is fixed for the next version).

Cheers
Chris

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2012, 07:44:56 am »
Thanks for the info and thank you for a great plugin.

- Garrett

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #307 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:27 am »
This file doesn't always exist - if it's not there, just create it and add the lines as per the instructions. I should admit, it's been a while since I looked at the readme, but it may miss some steps associated with remapping the USB on startup. This is covered in the instructions on http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_datamine.
Thanks, I'll have a look.
from what I've read in a previous post, this will not work with UI4. It is UI5 only. The new version I am referring to.
Yes - you can't (currently) use the UI5 version of dataMine on UI4. I'm assuming that @DeltaNu1142 is using the old version as I haven't posted the actual plugin files except on the marketplace, but it is good to clarify this. The USB part should be exactly the same as it's really OpenWRT dependant, and not UI dependant.
That's why I wanted to clarify that I'm using the files from the ZIP on the OP of this thread.  The screen shots show UI4, so I proceeded with the install; if you can confirm those files are for UI4, I'll be a bit more confident...  thanks!
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline Chris

« Reply #308 on: June 15, 2012, 08:22:19 am »
That's why I wanted to clarify that I'm using the files from the ZIP on the OP of this thread.  The screen shots show UI4, so I proceeded with the install; if you can confirm those files are for UI4, I'll be a bit more confident...  thanks!
I'm not sure what OP means but if you mean you're using the ZIP on the first post of this thread, then yes, this is for UI4.

Chris

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2012, 08:24:59 am »
I'm not sure what OP means but if you mean you're using the ZIP on the first post of this thread, then yes, this is for UI4.
OP = original post; thanks!
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline Aaron

« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2012, 07:29:59 pm »
Chris,
I have been seeing a strange occurrence with the logging. Please take a look at the screenshot... notice how the temp drops and jumps back up while the system in on. It shows this most of the time, but not all... I'd be surprised if the temp is actually doing this. I just started seeing this the past day or so... before then, there was no "drop" in the reading ever.

Also, what is the log interval set to... and can we change it per channel?

thx

Offline Chris

« Reply #311 on: June 25, 2012, 02:52:15 am »
I have been seeing a strange occurrence with the logging. Please take a look at the screenshot... notice how the temp drops and jumps back up while the system in on. It shows this most of the time, but not all... I'd be surprised if the temp is actually doing this. I just started seeing this the past day or so... before then, there was no "drop" in the reading ever.
To me, this looks "normal"... The temperature is dropping by 2 deg F when the cooling kicks in, and it slowly rises again when the cooling stops. The jumps just after cooling kicks in a just rounding issues or something similar - ie the thermostat/thermometer probably only reads to a 1 deg resolution (or at least that's all Vera is showing) and therefore as temperature drops, it will toggle occasionally. I'm pretty sure that if you sat and watched the numbers on Vera, you'd actually see this data.

One point to note though is that the graphs are splines, so the system draws a curved line between each point. If you turn on data points in the options, then you can see where the "real" points are.

Also, what is the log interval set to... and can we change it per channel?
There is no log interval as such. dataMine binds itself to a data change function in Vera - so it only logs data when the data changes value - not periodically based on time. This is the most efficient for logging, and also from a processing point of view as it only wakes up when there is something happening.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Aaron

« Reply #312 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:22 am »
gotcha

Do you know if there is a channel for the Trane stat has the total runtime per day? Since it has a  graph feature which can show you the total daily run time for the past 7 days this means...
a) it storea all 7 days of on/off cycle times and calculates it on the fly each time you view it
or
b) it stores only the final total, per day.
... If it stores the total, it would be great to log this.

Also, do you think you could add a feature on the graph to use external data.... I'd like to add outside temperature data and compare it against run times, on peak and off peak - over time.

Offline cmbeek

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #313 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
@ Chris: Thanks for this amazing plugin!!!

Installation is indeed not plug&play, but once it is running it is a very usefull plugin.
Actually, I think it should be part of the basic configuration of any vera control centre.

Offline Chris

« Reply #314 on: June 25, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »
Do you know if there is a channel for the Trane stat has the total runtime per day?
Sorry - I don't know anything about the Trane thermostat.

Also, do you think you could add a feature on the graph to use external data.... I'd like to add outside temperature data and compare it against run times, on peak and off peak - over time.
dataMine can log any variables from any devices installed in Vera. You can therefore install the Google Weather plugin to get outside weather, and log the temperature from that (or any other thermometer). Is that what you mean?

Cheers
Chris