We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin  (Read 287698 times)

Offline Chris

Re: New dataMine graphing and logging plugin
« Reply #480 on: October 16, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
Chris,
I suggest creating a pane in the left side called 'disabled channels'. Then allow users to disable a channel which is then automatically moved to that pane (which can be collapsed to save space). This way, it is still available when/if needed but does not get in the way when it is not.
Hi Aaron,
Yes - I had a similar thought. There are two potential issues - one is channels that have been disabled. They are relatively easy since they still exist. The other one is channels for devices that have actually been removed (orphans?). I'm thinking of putting something on the config pane, but I need to have a think about it once I've got the new version out there...

Cheers
Chris

Offline Aaron

« Reply #481 on: October 16, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »
Chris,
I suggest creating a pane in the left side called 'disabled channels'. Then allow users to disable a channel which is then automatically moved to that pane (which can be collapsed to save space). This way, it is still available when/if needed but does not get in the way when it is not.
Hi Aaron,
Yes - I had a similar thought. There are two potential issues - one is channels that have been disabled. They are relatively easy since they still exist. The other one is channels for devices that have actually been removed (orphans?). I'm thinking of putting something on the config pane, but I need to have a think about it once I've got the new version out there...

Cheers
Chris

use indicator icons on the list (next to the channel name) to show it no longer exists... like a small ghost or something ;)

Offline Chris

« Reply #482 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »
use indicator icons on the list (next to the channel name) to show it no longer exists... like a small ghost or something ;)
Good idea... Not sure I've got the best ghost icon, but it's a useful feature as I found I've got a couple of variables that are from an old (deleted) Google weather plugin  :)

Chris

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2012, 04:41:41 pm »
Chris

Coming back to Vera after a summer off (it's main task is to run my heating) I am wondering if you ever ported the new version of Datamine to UI4?

I am on UI4 here and reluctant to upgrade as it's reliable and the heating control scenes all work well.

I've not got datamine running at the moment as when I had to restore vera from a backup in the spring it didn't come back.

Now the heating is in use I want to get it running again

Many thanks

Nick

Offline Chris

« Reply #484 on: October 20, 2012, 11:36:39 am »
Coming back to Vera after a summer off (it's main task is to run my heating) I am wondering if you ever ported the new version of Datamine to UI4?
Hi nick,
No, I've not ported it back to UI4 (yet). I'm currently doing some reasonably major mods and when that's in a reasonably done state (in the next few days), I'll take a look at UI4 again. It shouldn't be a major mod - it's mainly just the init stuff that's different but most of my "Vera time" has been spent fighting with the java library...

Cheers
Chris

Offline Aaron

« Reply #485 on: October 20, 2012, 12:55:27 pm »
I am on UI4 here and reluctant to upgrade as it's reliable and the heating control scenes all work well.

Nick,
I suggest taking a look at updating to UI5. Unless there is something in UI5 that you know breaks your existing functionality I don't see any reason not to move to it, and several reasons to do so.

One is that UI6 will likely be out Q1 2013 and is expected to have major updates to core areas like Scenes. I don't suspect any plugin owner will want to support code for UI4, UI5 and UI6. Plus, who knows if you will be able to update from UI4 directly to UI6, but I doubt MCV will support a 2 version direct update. Even major OS companies usually don't do that.

Anyway, my $0.02

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #486 on: October 21, 2012, 05:03:28 am »

Nick,
I suggest taking a look at updating to UI5. Unless there is something in UI5 that you know breaks your existing functionality I don't see any reason not to move to it, and several reasons to do so.

One is that UI6 will likely be out Q1 2013 and is expected to have major updates to core areas like Scenes. I don't suspect any plugin owner will want to support code for UI4, UI5 and UI6. Plus, who knows if you will be able to update from UI4 directly to UI6, but I doubt MCV will support a 2 version direct update. Even major OS companies usually don't do that.

Anyway, my $0.02

Where did you receive this information?

- Garrett

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #487 on: October 21, 2012, 01:44:32 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts folks. My intent has been to stay with UI4 because it works, my house stays the right temperature and energy consumption is reduced at the same time. To me Vera is a tool and not a hobby and hence I don't want to risk breaking what works for me.

I have quite a few scenes with Lua code in them and no idea what will port to UI5 (or 6) without breaking.

The same argument goes for 6 as 5, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Can anyone tell me what I will gain by stepping up to UI5 that I don't have at the moment apart from the updated version of Datamine??

Nick

Offline Aaron

« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts folks. My intent has been to stay with UI4 because it works, my house stays the right temperature and energy consumption is reduced at the same time. To me Vera is a tool and not a hobby and hence I don't want to risk breaking what works for me.

I have quite a few scenes with Lua code in them and no idea what will port to UI5 (or 6) without breaking.

The same argument goes for 6 as 5, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Can anyone tell me what I will gain by stepping up to UI5 that I don't have at the moment apart from the updated version of Datamine??

Nick

Nick, there are several threads discussing UI4 / 5 so I suggest searching on them and doing some exploring since we are getting too off topic going down this road.

My $0.02 with supporting (or not) UI4... As with most coders here, this is a hobby given limited time. I (and I think most users) prefer dataMine be enhanced to provide more features than back ported to a UI that is EOL and cannot be ran current or future Vera hardware. Adding features to dataMine is better for the community while it makes Vera a better 'tool'.

anyway... Chris has some cool stuff coming in dataMine - I'm looking forward to it.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #489 on: October 21, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »
Yes, agreed, hence my enquiry to Chris was "whether he intended to support IU4 or not", if it is to be supported I will stay there, if it is not on the list of things to do that my be the trigger for me to update, I didn't intend this to be a "shall I update" thread hijack, it just happened for which I apologise

Nick

Offline Chris

« Reply #490 on: October 21, 2012, 06:37:08 pm »
Yes, agreed, hence my enquiry to Chris was "whether he intended to support IU4 or not", if it is to be supported I will stay there, if it is not on the list of things to do that my be the trigger for me to update, I didn't intend this to be a "shall I update" thread hijack, it just happened for which I apologise

"Supported" is an interesting word..... I intend to produce a UI4 version with the usual UI4 caveats (installation not as easy as UI5 etc). I need to remind myself about the differences between UI4 and UI5 - from memory, it's mostly in the init code - if I can easily make both versions maintainable, then I'll "support" UI4, otherwise it may be a one off version...

However, the current intention is to make a few mods now (currently ongoing) and then most of the updates are hopefully in the GUI. This will be compatible with both UI4 and UI5 since it's effectively outside of the Vera UI now.

We'll see how it goes...

Chris

Offline tyfoon

« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
I'm trying to use datamine for energy logging of the mains. Unfortunately my energy logger (NorthQ) only captures cumulative KWHReading data. If I make a graph of this I only get a line trending upwards of course.

Is there any way to configure DataMine to on 'understand'  this? So  it subtracts the data from the previous period (resulting in x kwh for per period y) so I can see the power usage over time?

Offline JeroenZvZ

« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »
I'm trying to use datamine for energy logging of the mains. Unfortunately my energy logger (NorthQ) only captures cumulative KWHReading data. If I make a graph of this I only get a line trending upwards of course.

Is there any way to configure DataMine to on 'understand'  this? So  it subtracts the data from the previous period (resulting in x kwh for per period y) so I can see the power usage over time?
*me too*

Offline Chris

« Reply #493 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:47 am »

Currently dataMine doesn't do this, however I do intend to add something that may do what you're after. The next area I'm playing with is energy monitoring, and in order to do this I will be looking at statistics, and usage over 1 hour, 1 day etc periods. This may do what you want, but I suspect that you're after something with a finer resolution (?).

It would not be hard to write a plugin to do this. I don't know anything about the NorthQ, but you could monitor the KWh variable, and when it changes work out the average power since the last reading. This would however result in the power being calculated retospectively - ie it would show the power now is (say) 500W, where actually the power between the last two data updates was 500W. This probably isn't a problem - just something to be aware of...

While this could be added to dataMine quite easily, I think it is probably best handled as a separate plugin. I could probably write a plugin quite quickly if no-one else wanted to - it sounds like there's probably a reasonable amount of interest in this?

Chris

Offline tyfoon

« Reply #494 on: October 26, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »

Currently dataMine doesn't do this, however I do intend to add something that may do what you're after. The next area I'm playing with is energy monitoring, and in order to do this I will be looking at statistics, and usage over 1 hour, 1 day etc periods. This may do what you want, but I suspect that you're after something with a finer resolution (?).

It would not be hard to write a plugin to do this. I don't know anything about the NorthQ, but you could monitor the KWh variable, and when it changes work out the average power since the last reading. This would however result in the power being calculated retospectively - ie it would show the power now is (say) 500W, where actually the power between the last two data updates was 500W. This probably isn't a problem - just something to be aware of...

While this could be added to dataMine quite easily, I think it is probably best handled as a separate plugin. I could probably write a plugin quite quickly if no-one else wanted to - it sounds like there's probably a reasonable amount of interest in this?

Resolution of a hour would be fine I guess, 15 min better (NorthQ passes info every 15min). For me the objective is to make a start of influencing the power usage during the day/week. I will use separate z wave devices to monitor specific device use.

Would be great if you could make something!!