Author Topic: How to Alert on Log entry "CPU overloaded"  (Read 515 times)

Offline gniknalu

How to Alert on Log entry "CPU overloaded"
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:12:20 pm »
When the Very Secure crashed, according to the support team, they saw "CPU overloaded" events in the log. [ReportError nm_cpu / CPU overloaded, count: 5, sec: 1206, idle: 3, system: 40, delay: 184 / <0?771df000>] I'm wondering if there is a way to alert when something similar appears in the log and maybe even trigger a reboot?

Thank you

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: How to Alert on Log entry "CPU overloaded"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
Not directly related to the log entry, but several plugins (EventWatcher, SystemMonitor?) expose a CPU-load type of parameter.

In particular, EventWatcher has a CPU05 variable giving CPU loading over a 5-minute average.

If really necessary, you could pull this directly from the pseudo-file in /proc/loadavg, without even needing a plugin installed.

Edit: I should add that I routinely log memory usage (free and available) plus CPU load for all three of my Vera systems. See attachment
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:39:32 pm by akbooer »
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline gniknalu

Re: How to Alert on Log entry "CPU overloaded"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:25:31 am »
Not directly related to the log entry, but several plugins (EventWatcher, SystemMonitor?) expose a CPU-load type of parameter.

In particular, EventWatcher has a CPU05 variable giving CPU loading over a 5-minute average.

If really necessary, you could pull this directly from the pseudo-file in /proc/loadavg, without even needing a plugin installed.

Edit: I should add that I routinely log memory usage (free and available) plus CPU load for all three of my Vera systems. See attachment

Yeah - but none of the ones mentioned alert on problems - just log them. To me it makes sense that there should be some alert when an event occurs in the log that is indicating instability or a possible crash. . . .