Author Topic: Smart Light Strip Recommendations  (Read 418 times)

Online Nameless

Smart Light Strip Recommendations
« on: April 07, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations / opinions on what is the best LED strip lighting that works with Vera? To my knowledge, there are no strip lights that are officially supported by Vera, except maybe the Hue version. I'd like to avoid getting Hue lights because I really don't want another Hub. I'm already using a Vera Plus, Wink 2, and a Liftmaster Gateway.

I've read some recent forum posts that suggest Lifx products may work with one of the community supported plugins. MiLight may also be an option, though I thought I read of some recent struggles. Yeelight looks promising, but I'm not sure if any existing plugin will support them. Sylvania has a product that will work with my Wink 2 hub, but I've had nothing but problems with Sylvania's regular non-smart LED bulbs.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Offline souly75

Re: Smart Light Strip Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:24 am »
Hello, I use normal LED strips - nothing special -  with a Fibaro RGB controller, which is connected to my Vera Edge directly. Works great. ☺

Offline Quixote

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »
The LIFX strips are fantastic. I tried the Fibaro RGB controller and it's not only a pain to set up, but the colors and brightness of the strips I bought pale in comparison. Furthermore, Fibaro support is useless. I had trouble and sent a help request, got a response literally like a month or two later. By that time I had already figured out the problem (the power supply needs to be regulated) and they had given me wrong information to top it off.
From now on I'll get the real deal and go for the LIFX strips.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:28:40 pm by Quixote »
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person.

Online Nameless

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »
The LIFX strips are fantastic. I tried the Fibaro RGB controller and it's not only a pain to set up, but the colors and brightness of the strips I bought pale in comparison. Furthermore, Fibaro support is useless. I had trouble and sent a help request, got a response literally like a month or two later. By that time I had already figured out the problem (the power supply needs to be regulated) and they had given me wrong information to top it off.
From now on I'll get the real deal and go for the LIFX strips.

I had concerns with the Fibaro myself after watching a video review on the setup. The LIFX seems to be a very easy setup.

Which Vera plugin are you using to control these and how well has it worked for you? Ideally, I'd like to integrate this into Vera or my Wink 2 system to give me some scene options. Thanks

Offline Quixote

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 05:37:49 pm »
The LIFX strips are basically plug and play. You may run into a few issues with your router settings, but if you check the suggestions online it should be relatively painless.
I started with this app and the beginning: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36961.0.html and then someone took over and enhanced the plugin even more (towards the end of the thread). It's very well-made and versatile.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person.

Online Nameless

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:07:07 pm »
The LIFX strips are basically plug and play. You may run into a few issues with your router settings, but if you check the suggestions online it should be relatively painless.
I started with this app and the beginning: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36961.0.html and then someone took over and enhanced the plugin even more (towards the end of the thread). It's very well-made and versatile.

I appreciate this! I'm leaning towards LIFX. It just seems to be the simplest setup.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:11:47 pm »
Just thought I'd mention a new feature that just appeared in the LIFX Android app --
We now have the ability to set the color of individual zones on the light strips.  Each 1m length of strip has 8 controllable zones. I haven't experimented more than a few minutes with this new feature, but it seems that once you set the colors, you can save that as a scene, which you could then call up using the Vera LIFX plugin. This is a fantastic development for me since I have 3m of these set up over my 8' aquarium and I've been wanting to set up some scenes on that tank. This new feature grants me the control I need to achieve that with precision.
Let us know how it goes.