Author Topic: multiple actions in scenes  (Read 648 times)

Offline bgr

multiple actions in scenes
« on: April 08, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »
I have a conditional motion triggered scene that turns on a light between certain hours. Most everything in the scene seems to work with the exception of executing a 2nd action to turn off the light 10 minutes later. Under the "What do you want to have happen?" steps, the first one is set to turn the light on immediately. Following that there is another that's "Wait for 10m and then MB Light Off", the same device. First action fires, the 2nd one never does, though I swear I've seen it work at least once.

How can I troubleshoot this?  Is this the best way to achieve what I want or would I be better off scripting this?

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: multiple actions in scenes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:07:59 pm »
I would typically use a second scene to turn off the light, with a 10 minute delay triggered by the light coming on.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.1017, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:23:11 pm »
To debug, take a look in the log file around the delay time and see if you can spot any issues.

You could take a look at the DelayLight plugin and see if that might work for you.  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,60498.msg351460.html#msg351460

Offline rigpapa

• toggledbits.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:47:58 am »
Indeed, this is exactly what DelayLight is built to do. It also has the advantage that it survives reloads/reboots of Vera (it will turn off the lights at the right time if Vera reloads/reboots during the interval), where scene timing generally does not (in firmware to date).
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, SiteSensor, DelayLight, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline bgr

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:04 am »
I'll take a look at delaylight. I had tried SmartSwitch, but it doesn't seem to be working properly under UI7, as noted in the DelayLight into.Thanks!

Offline lucius1814

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
I have a conditional motion triggered scene that turns on a light between certain hours. Most everything in the scene seems to work with the exception of executing a 2nd action to turn off the light 10 minutes later. Under the "What do you want to have happen?" steps, the first one is set to turn the light on immediately. Following that there is another that's "Wait for 10m and then MB Light Off", the same device. First action fires, the 2nd one never does, though I swear I've seen it work at least once.

How can I troubleshoot this?  Is this the best way to achieve what I want or would I be better off scripting this?
I've, been dealing with a similar issue, and today I finally made some headway.  I toggled my Home mode from custom to default, and then set up custom the way I wanted it again.  This seems to have fixed the three scenes I was having similar issues with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline bgr

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:55 am »
So I'm testing daylight and for the most part it does what I want. It would be good if it had a scheduling function for timers, making them active only during certain periods. To work around that, I created two scenes to enable and disable the timer device on the schedule I need the sensor to control the light. I suppose I could use the mode feature and define night mode on my controller, but as of today I'm not using them and for night it seems scheduling mode start would require scenes anyway.

One capability I did lose is the ability to turn the light on only if a light sensor is reporting low light. So if motion is detected and light is below the threshold, then turn on the light. LightDelay only makes the motion sensors available for the condition to watch. In my scene I had a bit of lua code that returned false if light was already detected. Worked pretty well.

Other than that, LightDelay is a winner!

Offline rigpapa

• toggledbits.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:55:25 pm »
I'd be happy to look at your requirement with respect to the light sensors. Unfortunately, I'm heading out on vacation for a month a couple of days from today, so I won't have time to look at it until I get back. But consider it added to the wish list.
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, SiteSensor, DelayLight, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline onepointbrewing

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:47:42 pm »
So if motion is detected and light is below the threshold, then turn on the light.

AND - the one thing Vera won't do in a scene. Use a multi switch or PLEG

Offline jswim788

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:28 am »
AND - the one thing Vera won't do in a scene. Use a multi switch or PLEG
I'm pretty sure there were some recent posts that indicated that this is now possible in the Vera, just not in the GUI yet.  AltUI is capable of exposing the AND.  And I thought I saw that the IOS app can do it too?  Unfortunately is not very easy to search for 'and' - too common of a word! - so it is hard to find this information.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 08:01:34 pm »
The Vera iOS app allows you to add an AND in a scene but I understand the current firmware still does not allow an AND. But it has been a long time since I used scenes.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.1017, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.