We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Remote Volume Control  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Chimpware

Remote Volume Control
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:56:44 am »
I plan to use SQ Blaster in a media cabinet in combination with an HDMI Matrix switch to drive a projector and 3 LCD TVs.  As I plan to matrix the components before my receiver and only drive the 7.1 system associated with the projector from the receiver I will have no volume control of the LCD TVs without using a second remote locally for this.  Is there a way to easily distribute the IR signal from my media cabinet from the SQ Blaster to the local TVs?

Offline hightop32

Re: Remote Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:13 am »
If you have some infrastructure you can utilize between your media cabinet and the other TVs, it should be fairly straight forward.

You would want to hang an IR distribution block (I like the Cables To Go model 40430) off one of the SQ Blaster IR outputs that fed back to each TV.  You can then use a cat5 run to pass the IR signal, or other low voltage cabling.  

Additionally, ive seen a new product that piggybacks on the HDMI cable and sends IR signaling down it, meaning you wouldnt need to run any additional cabling.  http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/005836.php

You would run this adapter on the egress side of the matrix switch between it and the secondary TVs with the SQ Blaster injecting the IR signal from one of its outputs as it exits the matrix switcher.  

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:06:26 am »
[...]product that piggybacks on the HDMI cable and sends IR signaling down it[...]
See also this topic on the AV Control board.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »
I havnt tried the HDMI IR injection devices, but it looks interesting.

Of course, what we like is when you buy a blaster for each TV <grin>. Which also works.

Running long cables with our emitters and blasters can be problematic, so some sort of IR distribution is recommended. One thing to be careful of is that our extension output may not be compatible with an extender. We have had users just plug a 3.5mm jack male to male cable between our blaster and an extender and fried the blaster... There are no real standards around this.

Mat

Offline hightop32

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »
SQM: Are you guys considering any way to lower the cost of your device?  I would love to have a few of these guys, but it is a bit cost prohibitive at this price point for alot of customers.  I do not mean to devalue, or imply that your product is not worth the asking price, but i truly feel you would have more adopters of the product with a cost-reduced design?

I assume some of the cost comes from the materials used, and the oddly shaped, yet attractive device.  Are there plans to make a non-puck design, or maybe one that is baremetal/simple for those not as concerned with aesthetics? 

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »
SQM: Are you guys considering any way to lower the cost of your device?  I would love to have a few of these guys, but it is a bit cost prohibitive at this price point for alot of customers.  I do not mean to devalue, or imply that your product is not worth the asking price, but i truly feel you would have more adopters of the product with a cost-reduced design?

I assume some of the cost comes from the materials used, and the oddly shaped, yet attractive device.  Are there plans to make a non-puck design, or maybe one that is baremetal/simple for those not as concerned with aesthetics? 

Yes I second this. If it were a little less expensive I would have several of these devices. I don't mean to complain as I understand that this is a solid product and worth every penny. I personally am not in a position to part with those pennies.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline hightop32

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »
We have had users just plug a 3.5mm jack male to male cable between our blaster and an extender and fried the blaster... There are no real standards around this.

hrm... did you find a common thread?  perhaps there were using stereo jacks and shorting the jacks as they were inserted?  this is definately concerning.. perhaps wiring first, then powering up is the best practice? 

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »
The issue I am thinking about is a user we talked to who connected the Blaster extender output directly to a Niles repeater. The problem is the Niles repeater expects a sensor input, and we switch 5V through a series resisitor. If anyone ever wants the shematic for the output stage, I am happy to share. email me directly. There really is no agreed way to interconnect these systems, and the only really safe way is to put an emitter on our blaster and then use a sensor on the repeater.

Mat

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:35:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered 3 of the IR over HDMI kits from Sewell.  Really like the idea and very cost effective if they work well.  Will report back on success.

Only concern now is if I have more than one TV with that is the same brand IR codes will be sent to both, but I will just plan to avoid that situation.

SCMat - Would love to buy one for each set, and now that I have my Blaster I can see why it is the price that it is in combination with the SQ Remote software this is a really great device and solution, but at $200 each that would almost be equal to the price of a couple of the 32" LCD I would need them for.  Works really well right out of the box.  Can't wait to get the entire system I have planned, installed and working.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
Picked up 3 Sewells and tested over 75 ft. HDMI and they worked great.  Very nice product, highly recommended.