Author Topic: Best IR Scene Controller?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline waxhell

Best IR Scene Controller?
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:55 am »
I have a number of Z-Wave devices (Schlage Locks, the Trane Thermostat, and GE switches/outlets) and a set of Harmony remotes (1x 890 and 2x AVL 300s).

I like everyone else am having problems with getting the Harmonies to sync with Vera under 1.1.1338 / Z-Wave 3.20. I'm convinced that its the newer version of Z-Wave that is causing the issues in getting them setup properly (perhaps dropping support for inclusion controllers?).

However, I think I may have a different idea on how to get my AV equipment well integrated with Vera.

I was looking at some of the Levitron scene controllers -- namely the VRCS4-1LX and VRCS4-MRX and with their IR support, it shouldn't be hard to get the Harmonies to trigger scenes off the controller itself (especially considering that I extensively use the RF extenders that come with the Harmonies).

Anyone have any suggestions on which scene controllers are the best for this kind of application?  It's hard to decipher the Levitron part numbers and really tell what the differences between the two above controllers.

I figure it's probably the cleanest way of simplifying my system (save *gasp* actual compatibility from the Logitech devices), and adds a bit of usability to boot.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:47:11 am by waxhell »

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Best IR Scene Controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:45 am »
@waxhell,

Welcome!

I was looking at some of the Levitron scene controllers -- namely the VRCS4-1LX and VRCS4-MRX [...] hard to decipher the Levitron part numbers and really tell what the differences between the two above controllers.
The difference is that the -MR's can control a local load (on/off only, no dimmer), the -1L cannot, it is just 4 scene buttons + dimming control. The newer version of the -1L is the -M0. The third character (X or Z) is the color code. See here.

I have not used the IR capabilities, but I'd recommend the newer ones (-M0 / MR) over the older ones (-1L), and the zone controller style over the scene controller style, for best compatibility with Vera. So VRCZ4-M0 or VRCZ4-MR.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:27:42 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...