Author Topic: GDPR in EU - What is being done?  (Read 494 times)

Offline trygve

GDPR in EU - What is being done?
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:41 am »
This goes to admins:

GDPR is about to kick in on the 25th of May in EU. All companies operating in EU have to comply with GDPR.
Having a connected smarthouse controller sure raises some GDPR concerns.

Can admins shed some light on what is being done regarding GDPR?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:52:40 am by trygve »
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Offline hellovn

Re: GDPR
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:31:56 am »
What is GDPR?

Offline Joenoo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:37:02 am »
In short: it's the General Data Protection Regulation from the EU which protects the privacy of EU citizens.
VeraPlus, Vera3, RfxcomE, 4X Greenwave NP310-f, 4x Philips Hue, 3x Aeotec ZW089, 3x ZME WallC-S, 2x ZME 05461, 2x Milight, 3x Fibaro Dimmer 2, 1x Vison ZP3102, 4x Sensative Strip. Mobile: Tasker, AutoVera, Autonotification, Autotools, Autolocation, Homewave.
Vera user since: 2014

Offline HSD99

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »

Offline wilme2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »
What is GDPR?
Right, the OP should update the title so as not to assume we know the acronym.
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline trygve

Re: GDPR in EU - What is being done?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:03:46 am »
Yes. GDPR is General Data Protection Regulation and is a law passed by EU which everyone operating in EU have to comply to. The intention of the law is to guard and strenghten indivinduals privacy online.

Some features in the law is that online services have to inform users what is being logged about them, what the site are using this for etc. A user should also be able to opt out of / in to what a site store about them. As a user I should also be able to download all information stored about me (including what a site have shared with a third party).

If a site does not comply with GDPR, the site can be fined by EU (the fines are pretty large also).

On the 25th of May when the law kick in I will btw be requesting a copy of all info which is logged on my account and by my controller.
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Online akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:24:47 am »
Well good for you.  We should all do this,really.  But please do let us know the type of response you receive.  Good luck!
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 2x Philips Hue
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:03:57 am »
Hello, trygve and everyone.

Vera is working hard for GDPR compliancy and will make sure our customer's privacy rights are respected with the utmost priority.

As you may already know, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be coming into effect soon on May 25th, 2018. Accordingly, we have made some changes to our TOS and we will publish them soon. Also, we?ll be making some changes to our privacy policies in the coming month and wanted to give you a heads up.

We know that GDPR compliance is at the top of many of your minds, so we?re pleased to announce updated, GDPR-ready terms that will include Data Processing and Security Terms.
These Data Processing and Security Terms can help you out even if you aren?t in Europe because the new regulations can govern the processing of personal data regardless of where it takes place.

We believe data protection is important, so we started to implement relevant technical and organizational measures to be GDPR compliant.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:21:46 am by Sorin »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline trygve

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:55:41 am »
Thanks for your reply Sorin. Good to hear you are working on this and I'm looking forward to see what comes out of it.