We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 1638 times)

Offline sifuhall

Advice Please
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:00 am »
I would like to take the plunge into home automation but after much research on the web I think I now have more questions than answers.

I would like to add home automation into my existing home with as minimal fuss as necessary.

I would like to be able to control:
thermostat
lights (interior and exterior)
lamps
exterior door locks (the quickset and schlage ones look good)
whole home audio
home theater (maybe? not sure)
video cameras (maybe in the future)
home security (maybe in the future)

I already have a wireless computer network running at my home and have a server that runs 24 x 7 so I prefer a software solution that I can control with:
Windows PC
web
Android phone
Android tablet

I would also like to be able to monitor things like smoke detectors, etc and receive alerts (either text messages or emails).

So far I've reviewed HomeSeer, MiCasaVerde, and Vera2 and I don't see a clear winner.

So after much research I've decided to ask the experts here.

Will the MiCasaVerde work for what I need?

Offline JOD

Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »
I would like to add home automation into my existing home with as minimal fuss as necessary
The keyword here is your interpretation of minimal fuss

IMO,
the thermostat, lights (interior and exterior), lamps, exterior door locks (the quickset and schlage ones look good)
Should be minimal fuss. But there are users who have lots of issues with setting up the locks.

whole home audio, home theater
Distributing or controlling? Limited resources and will probably not be an easy task.

video cameras
(depending on what type..Tend to cause users some initial grief getting them set up.

home security
(Alarm panel?) Depends on the alarm system and may take a bit of work on your end to configure.

smoke detectors
Depends on your location.

receive alerts (either text messages or emails).
Not an issue.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.