Author Topic: Thermostat min/max plugin not working  (Read 6358 times)

Offline signal15

Thermostat min/max plugin not working
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:55 pm »
I installed the Thermostat min/max plugin, and it doesn't seem to be working.  I have the max heating temp set at 70F.  When I turn it up to 85, it stays there and does not get set back down. 

Am I missing something?  Thermostat is a CA8900.

Offline reiserx

Re: Thermostat min/max plugin not working
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:46:48 pm »
I had those thermostats but replaced them with the Trane before the plugin came out. I know on the Trane it has that function bulit in to the themostat so maybe it has to be a function that is built into it for it to work but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else has the Intermatic or Wayne Dalton that also tried the plugin.

Offline signal15

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »
It appears that the thermostat is not reporting the set point back to Vera.  I can manually set the thermostat through Vera, but when I change it at the thermostat, it doesn't update. 

Does the CA8900 not report the set temp?  Or, is there something I need to do to make it report it?

It's reporting the current/real temp just fine, but not setpoints that I can see.

Offline signal15

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:03 am »
Why did this get moved?  I understand it's a thermostat, but this seems to be a Zwave/protocol question if Vera is not getting the setpoints for some reason.

Judging by the number of posts, few people read this section of the forum, and if it was moved, it should have at least had the MOVED link from the General forum.  There's a lot of expertise regarding general communication and variables on the General forum that will never see this post now.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:36 am »
... because the people that most likely know about the intricacies of <vendorX>'s Thermostat, how it operates and malfunctions (etc), are those that are actually using it and have a built-up field experience with it's quirks etc.

and we don't generally put in MOVED Links, as they spam up the forums...   we get a lot of people that post in the wrong category, if we put in MOVED for all of them, we'd get complaints about that.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:31 am »
Judging by the number of posts, few people read this section of the forum, and if it was moved, it should have at least had the MOVED link from the General forum.

Most of the senior members read all the sub-forums.  From observation of the forums here, the most likely reason for lack of response to a question is actually lack of familiarity with it. 

ie. it's not something widely done by people and/or a widely used feature and/or product.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:25:40 am »
It appears that the thermostat is not reporting the set point back to Vera.
That would in fact explain why the plugin does not appear to work. It does work with the Trane thermostat, as that t-stat reports the set point changes to Vera autonomously. So the question is whether the CA8900 can do the same. I have no experience with that t-stat.

I noticed you created a separate thread with just that question; which would have been my suggestion as well.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline aecchalet

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:55 pm »
I also just recently noticed that my minimum temperature setting for my AC is not working. I have installed the plug at least 6 mo or more ago and it seemed to be working.  Several weeks ago I checked and saw that my guest had the temperature set below my set minimum.  I checked the advanced tab of both of my Trane thermostats and they both indicted a minimum value of 75F but the thermostats indicated settings and temperatures around 71-73F.
Is this plugin compatible with UI5?
I wrote and then called this question into MCV support and have gotten a "we are working on it" response.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:09:48 pm by aecchalet »
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 1xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 1xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolts Schlage

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:51 am »
Is this plugin compatible with UI5?
Appears to work. (Did install it from scratch, not a carry-over from UI4.)

Offline Minnies

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:52 am »
I accomplished something similar without any Luup or add ons for my Dalton thermostat. In essence if someone tries to move the temp setting below a specifid point while in cooling or above a point while heating it will automatically set the value at my stated min or max.

What I did was create a scent for temp set too low, created a event trigger for tstat cooling set point below x and then a command to set the tstat to a value.  Same thing for heating. Pretty simple. I also have it send me a message when it occurs. It has operated flawlessly to date.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »
I accomplished something similar without any Luup or add ons for my Dalton thermostat. In essence if someone tries to move the temp setting below a specifid point while in cooling or above a point while heating it will automatically set the value at my stated min or max.

What I did was create a scent for temp set too low, created a event trigger for tstat cooling set point below x and then a command to set the tstat to a value.  Same thing for heating. Pretty simple. I also have it send me a message when it occurs. It has operated flawlessly to date.

That makes complete sense...  Doh!

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »
Yup, the plug-in does the same thing; just adds that functionality automatically, for all your t-stats.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »

Awesome, why didn't I think of that, lol   8)
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline aecchalet

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:40 pm »
I never heard from MCV and my system was off line for 2 weeks. I finally solve the problem remotely and am back on line. I started to write another trouble ticket about the plugin and saw that someone wrote to another in tech support and indicated that the plug in was fixed.  They asked if I had been notified (I was not notified.)
It was pretty simple to uninstall and reinstall this plugin and now it works as intended!  Too bad that I probably wasted about $500 on excessive AC use while I was waiting for a response!
BTW I tried to modify my trouble ticket to tell MCV that this problem was resolved but it wouldn't let me do so.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:47:44 pm by aecchalet »
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 1xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 1xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolts Schlage

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:19 am »
@aecchalet
It was me that handled your tech support ticket. Unfortunately I marked it as resolved by mistake so I didn't return to it. I apologize for this.