We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Adding a yearly trigger  (Read 2074 times)

Offline PrincessCleavage

Adding a yearly trigger
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:41 am »
Is it possible to add a yearly or seasonal trigger?
I would like a geo scene to only trigger during Summer (December 1st-February 28th) but I can not add luup code to a geo scene so I added a virtual switch which I was planning to set a scene to turn in on on the 1st December every year and turn off the switch 28th February each year then add this switch to the geo scene.
Appreciate you assistance

Offline jswim788

Re: Adding a yearly trigger
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:44:21 am »
I use the GCal3 plugin for yearly triggers: https://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=7016

I don't think Vera has a direct way to set up yearly triggers (or didn't in the past, maybe now?).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:36:52 am by jswim788 »

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:12 am »
I beleive you can create a trigger for the first of each month.

Then in your LUA code, abort the scene if it is not December or March, and then set your virtual switch appropriately if it is December 1 or March 1.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
You can also do this with PLEG, I have had my heating set with a yearly schedule  for over 5 years with an absolute schedule.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:29 pm »
I second PLEG. Attached is my yearly schedule for an outlet I use at Christmas.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »
I beleive you can create a trigger for the first of each month.

Then in your LUA code, abort the scene if it is not December or March, and then set your virtual switch appropriately if it is December 1 or March 1.
How do you apply lua code to a geo scene as they only show up on mobile device (not in normal GUI)

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »
I use the GCal3 plugin for yearly triggers: https://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=7016

I don't think Vera has a direct way to set up yearly triggers (or didn't in the past, maybe now?).
This is an option but I was hoping to avoid internet reliance if possible but looks the most likely option.
Thanks

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:10:39 pm »
I have previously attempted to add the pleg plugin but it did not seem intuitive on what to do next so I have always removed it and worked out luua method

Offline therealdb

• Automate all the things!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
See conditional scene execution on this forum. You'll find date ranges.
Just execute it daily and turn it on or off using the range.
Vera Edge EU, Fibaro FGRM 222 (14), Fibaro FGS 223 (26), Fibaro FGS 222 (6), Fibaro UBS (2), Fibaro+N Plug (3), NeoCoolCam Door Sensor (3), PIR (2) & Plugs (2), Nest (3), Home Server running my own integrations, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station, Sonoff TH & more

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:30:11 pm »
I have previously attempted to add the pleg plugin but it did not seem intuitive on what to do next so I have always removed it and worked out luua method

In my case, I read this user guide: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,21603.0.html and lots of trial and error. Eventually it penetrated my thick skull and viola - it made sense.

Similar to your request, another option is watching outside temperature since "summer" is really relative to outside temperature. In my case, I monitor outside temperature and if < 60F, I turn my thermostat to Heating Mode. If > 65F, then cooling mode.

My heating/cooling setpoints are set by House Mode. Home is 68/75, Away is 65/78, Night is 65/72, and Vacation is 60/80.

So I seldom touch the thermostat regardless of season. This is especially helpful spring and fall, where you may be heating in the morning and cooling in the afternoon.

I used to do this in Scenes but eventually move it all to PLEG.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 04:09:36 am »
See conditional scene execution on this forum. You'll find date ranges.
Just execute it daily and turn it on or off using the range.
I thought of doing this but it seemed crazy to add extra load to my ver executing a tasks each day for nothing instead of once a year on the correct date

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 04:12:16 am »

In my case, I read this user guide: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,21603.0.html and lots of trial and error. Eventually it penetrated my thick skull and viola - it made sense.

Similar to your request, another option is watching outside temperature since "summer" is really relative to outside temperature. In my case, I monitor outside temperature and if < 60F, I turn my thermostat to Heating Mode. If > 65F, then cooling mode.

My heating/cooling setpoints are set by House Mode. Home is 68/75, Away is 65/78, Night is 65/72, and Vacation is 60/80.

So I seldom touch the thermostat regardless of season. This is especially helpful spring and fall, where you may be heating in the morning and cooling in the afternoon.

I think this might be the best solution and I already had a aeotec multisensor 6 on order for outside which will show the outside temperature.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 05:02:37 am »

Is the PDF that you referenced still available ? Perhaps it is my device (as I am working remotely but I can not open the PDF

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:52 am »
How do you apply lua code to a geo scene as they only show up on mobile device (not in normal GUI)

I thought in your OP that you were trying to create a yearly scene that sets a virtual switch (which would then be used by the geo scene).

I would not worry about having a scene that runs daily, but just checks to see what day it is. Schedule it to run during the night. It's not like Vera has anything better to do at that time anyway.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 03:45:19 pm »

I thought in your OP that you were trying to create a yearly scene that sets a virtual switch (which would then be used by the geo scene).

I would not worry about having a scene that runs daily, but just checks to see what day it is. Schedule it to run during the night. It's not like Vera has anything better to do at that time anyway.
I understand what your saying but, still I have trouble adding a task to run 365 days a year for a one day a year trigger. I will use temp sensor as suggested for the trigger, but thank you for the suggestion. Anyone know why a yearly trigger is not available by default ? Perhaps not enough requirements or an OS limitation ?