Author Topic: Very slow fade rate turning off lites with scenes  (Read 3632 times)

Offline michaelthoward

Very slow fade rate turning off lites with scenes
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:46:37 am »
Summary:

When I turn off dimmed loads (RZI06) the fade rate is very slow ... takes several minutes for lites to turn off.
Switched loads (RZS15) turn off immediately.
Works fine from MiOS UI4 web gui.
Fade rate is slow only when Off scene is applied from a controller (RZCZ1 or RZCZ4)

Detail:

I am a new Vera customer. Previously I have been using ThinkEssentials Pro with Vizia RF zwave hardware. 1

I have some locations where I am using a z-wave controller as part of a 3-way/n-way switch for a single dimmed lighting load controlled by a RZI06.

Within MiOS UI4 I created scenes for On and Off states ... for example DiningLitesOn and DiningLitesOff. When I run the scenes from MiOS UI4 they run fine. Lites turn on or off with the standard fade rate (approx .5 - 1 second).

I assigned these scenes to the respective on and off states of the controller, either RZCZ1 or RZCZ4. When I hit the On button the lights come on. When I press On the lites turn on with the standard fade rate. However, when I press Off it takes 3 or 4 minutes for the lites to fade to off. The fade starts immediately, but with a very slow fade rate. One can see the fade steps on incandescent bulbs.

I have multiple loads & multiple controllers ... all demonstrate the same behavior.

My switched loads (RZS15) respond immediately to both On & Off states, so it is pretty clear that the scenes are executing immediately.

Advice appreciated.

Offline big517

• Beta Testers
Re: Very slow fade rate turning off lites with scenes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »
Please paste the luup code you're using for this.  I'm interested, and i'm sure there are a few people on this forum that will need this info to help you out.

Thanks,

Offline JOD

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »
I don't have this particular device, but If it's like most of the Z-Wave dimmers, it will probably have programmable ramp rates and steps.
Ramp rate is the speed it takes to complete a step, and there could be 0-99 steps.

There may also be 3 sets of parameters, local control, remote (Vera) and the All On/Off commands.
So it's possible to have different rates depending on how it's being controlled, although you are getting differing On vs Off rates?
Maybe this device also has different parameters for On and Off? Pretty cool if it does!!
But it sounds like you may have different parameters set within your different controllers? If that's even possible.... Just guessing here  ???

Check the user manual for the defualt settings and what parameters there are that you can change...

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline michaelthoward

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:25:06 am »
Please paste the luup code you're using for this.  I'm interested, and i'm sure there are a few people on this forum that will need this info to help you out.

Thanks,

I am a technical guy, but a Vera/MiOS newbie ...

Q: Please advise as to how to "paste the luup code you're using for this".

Michael

Offline big517

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:32:51 am »
I'm sorry, I was assuming you were using this in your scenes.  For future reference, it's one of the Tabs in your scene named "LUUP".

Offline michaelthoward

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:37:21 am »
I don't have this particular device, but If it's like most of the Z-Wave dimmers, it will probably have programmable ramp rates and steps.
Ramp rate is the speed it takes to complete a step, and there could be 0-99 steps.

Yes, the Vizia RF Z-Wave dimmers have a variable ramp rate.
In this case, I have not intentionally modified the ramp rate.

There may also be 3 sets of parameters, local control, remote (Vera) and the All On/Off commands.
So it's possible to have different rates depending on how it's being controlled, although you are getting differing On vs Off rates?

correct. On takes < 1 second. Off takes 2-3 minutes.

Maybe this device also has different parameters for On and Off? Pretty cool if it does!!
But it sounds like you may have different parameters set within your different controllers? If that's even possible.... Just guessing here  ???

that may be what is going on, but I did not do anything intentionally. if that is what happened then it was a side-effect of using Vera/MiOS as the primary.

Check the user manual for the defualt settings and what parameters there are that you can change...

I did not intentionally set anything. I reset all devices to factory default before including them in the Vera-primary network.

After this, I reset all of the devices and recreated a ThinkEssentials-primary network where all of the devices behaved normally.

I now realize that there is something I should have checked. I should have tested to see what the fade rate was by using the dimmer switch directly rather than going through Vera/MiOS.

I am currently away from home, but can test some of this over the weekend.

Michael