Author Topic: Keeping 2 dimmers at same level  (Read 382 times)

Offline Houcharles

Keeping 2 dimmers at same level
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:41 pm »
I have a situation where I have lights on 2 separate circuits in my bathroom, that I would like to keep in synch. So if I dim one to 50%, I would like the other to dim to the same, etc.

I currently using ZWP-WD-100 on each circuit. I am running VeraSecure as my primary controller with a VeraPlus as a secondary.

Offline cc4005

Re: Keeping 2 dimmers at same level
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:06 am »
I believe this can be accomplished using direct association of the 2 devices, although my understanding is that capability has device-specific variations. I've not personally used associations. It could also be done with PLEG wherein changing the dim level on one triggers the other be set to the same level. There would be a slight lag but they would be synced. If you're not already familiar with PLEG, it has a bit of a learning curve but is very powerful. Recommended.

Offline Houcharles

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:51 am »
Thank you for the info. Any suggestion as to which might be easiest to do? Which might work best? I?m okay with a slight delay, I?m using two ZWP-WS-100 in another setting to sync on/off and there is a half second delay but it isn?t bad at all.

Offline Houcharles

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Is there a good resource for getting started with Direct Association? I need some explanation of what values I should be entering for Group Id, etc.

Thanks in advance from a Zwave Noob.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:38:09 pm »
If you do a direct association, then the master dimmer will send its value to the slave dimmer.

I am unsure about your specific dimmer modules, but with Fibaro I can tell you they can be configured to send one of two different values:
A simple binary on/off command, so that you can simply have something else trigger when the dimmable device is on or off
Or, send the actual dim level - this will obviously be what you want, and only applicable, when you are trying to sync two different dimmer devices

Pretty sure the default is the binary on/off since that is the typical reason for associating, so if yours is the same as Fibaro you would need to change that variable and then set the association between the two dimmers.

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:29 pm »
FWIW For control via tablet/phone I use Imperihome - fortunately I bought the app years ago so don't have to pay a subscription. From the app I create a "composite global dimmer widget" and add the lights I want to be able to control with one virtual switch. Separately in Google Home (was using ha bridge but now using Vera Concierge) I have the lights associated to a room so I can say things like "hey google, dim living room lights to 50%"
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline jphoppe

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:21:14 pm »
I'm also looking for an introductory type guide to direct association. I have some ZWP switches in my kitchen that control under-counter lighting on different circuits on two sides of the room. I currently have scenes setup to accomplish this but wanted to try out direct association.

I think my ZWP dimmers are the same model as Charles and would like to try those as well.