Author Topic: Questions about upgrade  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Lou

Questions about upgrade
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and looking forward to getting into home automation.  I know enough about this topic to be dangerous so bear with me with the dumb questions.  We've recently moved into a home that has a vera lite controller at U15 level.  I plan to upgrade the controller to vera plus in June. 
1.  Is it a safe assumption that all my devices, about 24,  working on my current vera lite U15, will work on the vera plus U17?
2.  I asked a question to vera customer service about migrating from the U15 lite to the U17 plus hub, they said they don't recommend it.  They said
 "However, because these 2 controllers are from different generations and because they have different hardware and software parts it is not a very recommended process because it can cause issues like not restoring all of the devices, scenes that are not running or saving or it can brake the z-wave chip of the Vera Plus controller and after that you will not be able to pair other devices with the Vera Plus. If the system you currently have is not very big it is better to start from scratch and pair the devices from your configuration with the new Vera Plus controller. I am aware that is not the most convenient situation but it will save you from further frustration and time consuming."
However, I've seen here that others migrated successfully.  So my question is should I scrap what I have (inherited with the new home) or  follow the migration procedure? 
3.  The vera plus has been out for 2 years.  Is there new vera hardware/software in the pipe line that would make me consider holding off on making any upgrade changes at this time?

Thank you all for this forum and your willingness to help us newbies, I really appreciate it.

Lou

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: Questions about upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 05:31:35 am »
Hello Lou,

Welcome to Vera.
You've come just "in time" of a bit of a transition regarding the Z-wave migration from older/legacy controllers.

First of all, if you have any doubts or insecurities about the migration process, it's better to ask our Customer Care to do it for you, in the first place.(contact details in my signature)

The document you've come upon will be dropped soon, as with the yesterday's BETA firmware, the migration process is A LOT easier. It's basically a matter of restoring a backup of the old controller, on the new one. With some caveats because your unit is still on UI5, as I will explain:

1. Create a local backup of your UI5 controller. ( Setup->Backup -  1.backup z-wave network ->2. create backup) (it will not be used. it's just for safe keeping)
2. Upgrade your UI5 unit to UI7, using the URL:  Vera3, VeraLite, & VeraLite G: https://download.mios.com/release/BETA/726/rt3662_Luup_ui7-1.7.1026-en-mios.squashfs from Setup -> Firmware -> URL for Vera custom firmware:
3. Wait for the unit to get upgraded to UI7 (DO NOT POWER CYCLE, not even after the 15 minutes timer, if it doesn't come back contact Customer Care team)
4. While on UI7, navigate to Settings-> Backup-> Create a full backup of your system including Z-Wave (see step 1). Download it on your computer.
5. Setup your NEW Vera.
6. Restore the VeraLite UI7 backup, previously created.

Enjoy!
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Lou

Re: Questions about upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:21:25 pm »
Thank you so much Sorin.  Your advice is greatly appreciated!  I'm looking forward to being back home in June to get started on this project, and building on what is already there!

Lou