Author Topic: VeraAlerts help with sound  (Read 454 times)

Offline SharpTJ

• Sr. Newbie
VeraAlerts help with sound
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:11:03 pm »
Since the VeraAlerts board appears completely dead now... Maybe someone here can help me...

So I get the notification in the VeraAlerts app via small red number on the app icon.  But I can not get a sound to play or vibrate.

Im the app, I clicked on sounds button, then selected Siren.mp3.  It placed a holder in the sound area which I was able to click on and rename to Siren.  I have tried different things to get an audible (or vibratory) notification. 

1: I added {tone:1} into the message override box, but all I get is the in-app notification and the box before it has a "1" in it...no sound or vibration

2: I added {tone:tts}<<Siren>> in the message override box...but then I don't receive the alert at all.

Offline thief

Re: VeraAlerts help with sound
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:22 am »
I have been asking  a similar question, how to have different sound to different alerts, nobody could provide me with a real answer, maybe it's not possible.

Look at the pic and check you have enabled those.

Offline ChrisTheC

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »
Since the VeraAlerts board appears completely dead now... Maybe someone here can help me...

So I get the notification in the VeraAlerts app via small red number on the app icon.  But I can not get a sound to play or vibrate.

Im the app, I clicked on sounds button, then selected Siren.mp3.  It placed a holder in the sound area which I was able to click on and rename to Siren.  I have tried different things to get an audible (or vibratory) notification.

1: I added {tone:1} into the message override box, but all I get is the in-app notification and the box before it has a "1" in it...no sound or vibration

2: I added {tone:tts}<<Siren>> in the message override box...but then I don't receive the alert at all.

Try this. In the app, don't click on the "Sounds" button, but instead click on the "Settings" button.

Scroll down to "ALERT NOTIFICATION PREFERENCES" and you'll see Alert 1, Alert 2, etc.
This is where I set the sounds. Click on "Alert 1 (Default) and you should then be able to select a notification sound from your phone. Do the same for Alert 2, Alert 3, etc.

These also correspond to the {tone:1} {tone:2} and so on.

As for tts, I've never tried to set it up.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Offline SharpTJ

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:54:52 pm »
I have been asking  a similar question, how to have different sound to different alerts, nobody could provide me with a real answer, maybe it's not possible.

Look at the pic and check you have enabled those.

Yeah, I have those checked... I read your thread over in the other forum, but I still have no luck getting any sound

Offline SharpTJ

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »

Try this. In the app, don't click on the "Sounds" button, but instead click on the "Settings" button.

Scroll down to "ALERT NOTIFICATION PREFERENCES" and you'll see Alert 1, Alert 2, etc.
This is where I set the sounds. Click on "Alert 1 (Default) and you should then be able to select a notification sound from your phone. Do the same for Alert 2, Alert 3, etc.

As for tts, I've never tried to set it up.

Hope this helps.
Chris

That was the 1st thing I tried, and it does not work either... This is the correct syntax, correct?  Over ride message {tone:1}

Offline thief

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:58:44 am »

This far i understand, but where in earth do I type the "{tone:1} {tone:2}" ? In the message prefix field? or message override section?
I have been trying to figure this out for 6 months now, but all I can achieve is the same tone for every message.

And once again to make it more clear what I want to achieve..
My garage door is opened= play sound 1
My fire alarm goes off= play sound 2
My motion detector has been triggered= play sound 3

Can someone please tell if this is even possible?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:44:01 am by thief »

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:55 pm »
First off, forget about the message override box. Create your alerts as PLEG actions and select the VeraAlerts device. The rest is almost self explanatory. I'll watch this thread and help where I can...

Offline thief

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:23 am »
So pleg is a must have in my case? just to have different tones? I don't know a crap about pleg. If thats the case, I'm giving up on vera alerts.

Offline ChrisTheC

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 09:35:01 am »
So pleg is a must have in my case? just to have different tones? I don't know a crap about pleg. If thats the case, I'm giving up on vera alerts.

I'm sorry you're still having trouble. My original post wrongly assumed you were having problems with the VeraAlerts Android app on your phone, not the VeraAlerts plugin. It's frustrating when it should work, but doesn't.

PLEG is not required for sending simple alerts with tone, picture, etc. (It's a great automation platform, but not needed for these excercises)

Before troubleshooting the "Notification Configuration" tab & the "Message Override" column inside it, can we start at the beginning by sending a test alert using the "Send Alert" tab?

Disclaimer: I'm using a very old version 6.43 of the VeraAlerts Plugin (because I'm still running UI5), the features, tabs, etc. are more refined on UI7 and my pictures may look alien to your setup. I really hope I don't confuse you more.

Send a simple test alert (see 1-vaSendAlertTab.png). If it works, and you get this message on your device, send another test incorporating the tone variable. (see 2-vaSendAlertTab.png). If it works, you should receive the message in your device with the tone corresponding to the "Alert 3" tone in the va app. (see 3-vaAndroidApp.png)

If these tests work, then you can move on to the "Message Override". If the tests don't work, then the underlying problem needs to be determined and fixed first. Unfortunately, I don't run UI7 dammit, (but I'll try to help).

I'll watch this thread closer.

Regards,
Chris