Author Topic: GE 45613 Aux Switch Question  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Mikey

• Sr. Newbie
GE 45613 Aux Switch Question
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question to those of you who have the GE 45613 3-way switches...

I have just installed the pair of two switches - the main and the auxillary.  The main works fine, i.e. can turn on and off with one-tap on the rocker and can dim/brighten accordingly.  However, the aux switch only seems to be able to turn the lights ON, i.e. no one-tap off nor dimming capabilities.

The Aux switch is about 20' away on the other end of the hallway.

Anyone have any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks, in advance,
-Mike

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: GE 45613 Aux Switch Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:52 am »
[...] the aux switch only seems to be able to turn the lights ON, i.e. no one-tap off nor dimming capabilities.
[...] The Aux switch is about 20' away on the other end of the hallway.
Folks have had various degrees of success with the GE 3-ways. A search should pop up several topics on that.

The aux switch appears very sensitive to interference from other wires, especially at longer spans. I believe 20' is the advertised max. To verify that your aux switch itself is fine, you could connect it directly to the primary (i.e. without any long wires in between). If the aux switch has the 'candy cane' (red/white) wire, it can be powered from either neutral or hot. So you could try switching to the other option, if possible.

It also sounds like GE/Jasco has improved the design and newer versions may not have the interference issue.
Dezwaved at the moment...