Author Topic: weather.com temp  (Read 507 times)

Offline mikoz

weather.com temp
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:03 pm »
Hi all,

Is it possible to make a device that can report the temperature in my zip-code without a physical sensor? 

thanks

Online jswim788

Re: weather.com temp
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:39:51 am »
Have you seen the Wunderground weather plugin?  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11983.0.html

Offline mikoz

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:27:27 pm »
Yes thanks, I found that a bit after I posted this and got an API key.  It also has humidity levels, which is great, as I am trying to determine something based on weather and not just temp... e.g. if the humidity level is < xxx and the temp is > yyy. 

Online jswim788

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:00 pm »
I am not thrilled with Wunderground as a source for doing anything significant.  The weather station that it chooses bounces around too much for my use.  I can pick the zip code, but then it picks and it isn't constant and there is quite a bit of variation on temperature my area, or I can pick a specific station in my neighborhood, but it seems that these are not all that reliable.  Thus I'm considering getting my own sensors for local use.  I could go with Netatmo, but I'm looking at a direct ZigBee connection to the Xiaomi temp/humidity sensor.  There's little chance of Vera supporting this, but it does apparently work with openHAB.  (ZiGate can do this directly, but can't get a ZiGate in the USA yet.)  So I will probably have the connection to Xiaomi on openHAB and query that from Vera or openLuup as needed.  I could go with Arduino, but the Xiaomi sensors are inexpensive and packaged much better than I could ever do myself with Arduino.

Offline mikoz

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:32 pm »
I am now getting messages from Weatherunderground that I have exceeded 500 api accesses in a 24-hour period.
I cannot find a refresh or ping interval for the app... does anyone know how to fix that? 

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:52:01 pm »
Go to the settings of your world weather device. You want the polling override value.

Be aware, the app is supposed to run every 30 min, plus on restarts. That should be <50 calls/day.

Check this thread. It has some ideas for debugging. Your vera could be restarting a lot.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29559.msg211458.html#msg211458