Author Topic: Why does Vera ask for electricity cost?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Michele

Why does Vera ask for electricity cost?
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »
When I first set up my Vera it wanted to know what I was paying for electricity.  But now that I've configured my entire network, I still don't know what use it's making of that information.  Is there a plugin or something I'm missing that would show my electric usage?

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Why does Vera ask for electricity cost?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:19:13 am »
In UI4 energy usage is visible when you enable remote access on cp.mios.com and when you have a device that is capable of reporting power usage (for instance, some Z-wave switches and all energy monitors).

On cp.mios.com, go to MiOS systems and find the Energy Usage tab.

If you don't use this feature, then you can lie to Vera about your energy costs and no one will know.

Offline Michele

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »
Ah ha - thanks.  I found the tab but it says "Not enough data for pie chart".  I guess none of my devices are SmartSwitches.  If there was a way to tell Vera how much each node draws, then it could do the math easily enough since it knows how long each one is on.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:37:23 am »
Under the Settings tab of the Device, there is a field called Energy Used that can be used to manually specify the wattage of the attached device.

Offline Michele

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »
Wonderful!  This is so cool - I keep discovering great features in this system.  This is sooo much better than that Hawking gateway I had before.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:24:58 pm by Michele »