Author Topic: Zwave compatible Solar Thermal (DHW) controller?  (Read 503 times)

Offline aecchalet

Zwave compatible Solar Thermal (DHW) controller?
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »
I use a Heliodyne Delta T Pro controller for my DHW solar thermal system that lets me access my data online and monitor 7 different temperatures and 2 flow probes and control up to 3 pumps.  Unfortunately, this unit is only wifi not zwave compatible.  Is there a zwave compatible Solar Thermal (DHW) controller?  I would like to use my DHW solar thermal data to trigger the GE 40 Amp ZWave DirectWire Indoor/Outdoor Smart Switch that I want to use to control my backup electric heating element.  When my solar storage tank temp dropped below a threshold (110F), I would activate the power to the electric heating element.  I would disconnect the power to the heating element when the temp at the output line of my solar thermal panel rose above my threshold 110F.  This would help me to only power the backup heating element when needed.

Alternately, I could use the generation of a certain amount of solar energy from my Solaredge connected PV panels using the zwave app, Solar Meter.  However, that would be a more indirect measure of solar thermal heat production.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:39:53 pm by aecchalet »
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 1xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 1xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolts Schlage

Offline kwieto

Re: Zwave compatible Solar Thermal (DHW) controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:39:22 pm »
You can use z-wave temp sensor and base turning on/off backup heating on the basis of its measurements

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:04:58 pm »
I just put the electric heat on a time that only runs late in the evening for a few hours. The thermostat in the water heater is set at 120F and as long as the tank temp is above that, the heating element never gets powered. At 4PM today, my tank temp was 170F. I use a Fibaro door sensor with a DS18B20 sensor to monitor the tank although I really don't need to. I send myself a notice every afternoon with the tank temp just so I can look forward to a hot shower...

Offline aecchalet

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:33:46 pm »
Besides the Fibaro door sensor with a DS18B20 probe, is there any other zwave temp probe?  I don't really have need for a door sensor in my DHW closet but I suppose that I could just install the magnet beside the sensor and ignore the sensor function.
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 1xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 1xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolts Schlage

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 03:29:32 pm »
I used one that the sensor portion had died on. Might have something to do with my placing it next to a motor to see if the electric current and resulting magnetic field would trip it, but I digress. You don't need the magnet at all, just hide the sensor (or ignore it). Only place you'll see it is in the interface and you only use that to change the way things work or add/delete a device. I haven't seen many z-wave temp sensors, but I haven't spent much time looking either. I powered mine from the 3.3v connection on an Arduino, but I'm betting any 3.3 - 3.6v DC supply would work. The batteries are expensive....

Offline aecchalet

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:42:26 am »
@MYeager
You seem to be knowledgeable on controlling your thermostat from within PLEG.  Do you know how I can turn off the AC cooling with a PLEG logic action?

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 05:06:37 pm »
I know how to do it with the Ecobee thermostat. If I remember your tagline, you are running Trane thermostats. Can you turn them on and off from a plugin for Vera?