Author Topic: What brand door locks to evaluate?  (Read 667 times)

Offline tomtcom

Re: What brand door locks to evaluate?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 12:12:58 pm »
I go back and forth about getting smart locks.  On one hand I like it and it's just another automated tool in the house.  On the other hand it doesn't make sense for my doors.  The main doors are all windowed french glass doors and the two others have windows as well.  No lock is going to keep anyone out anyways.
At minimum you could know who is coming and going in the house. I didn't get my smart Lock as a theft deterrent but rather knowing certain lights  trigger and notifications and video of who went in or left.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »
I go back and forth about getting smart locks.  On one hand I like it and it's just another automated tool in the house.  On the other hand it doesn't make sense for my doors.  The main doors are all windowed french glass doors and the two others have windows as well.  No lock is going to keep anyone out anyways.
At minimum you could know who is coming and going in the house. I didn't get my smart Lock as a theft deterrent but rather knowing certain lights  trigger and notifications and video of who went in or left.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If I had people coming and going from my house a lot that would make sense.  I don't have people coming and going that aren't my wife and kids.  I work from home most of the time anyways.  Outside that when I do go to the office I get a motion notification from the cameras in the driveway and my wife or someone will usually be home.  Thinking about it, generally there is almost always someone home...hrm...

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 04:37:26 pm »

I agree.
No reason to get them unless you hate using a key or you have other people using the door (kids, roommate, or utility people) and want to simplify it and make is more secure for you and them. Easier to delete a code than rekey your lock.

Offline a1certified

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:36 pm »
My thinking is what has been mentioned above -- to be able to use a status change on a door lock to trigger other events within the system.

I looked at the Kwikset 912 but am shying away from those locks that have digits printed on individual buttons.  I'd much prefer a touchscreen keypad.  Purely for aesthetics.  I have seen too many of these keypads that have the numbers worn off of them making them hard to read and ugly.  I suppose the touchscreen could get all scratched up and ugly too, but nothing is perfect right?  Is there any such beast out there that a) works with Vera, b) is integrated with a lever/knob instead of a deadbolt, and c) has a touchscreen for PIN/code entry?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:21 pm »
My thinking is what has been mentioned above -- to be able to use a status change on a door lock to trigger other events within the system.

I looked at the Kwikset 912 but am shying away from those locks that have digits printed on individual buttons.  I'd much prefer a touchscreen keypad.  Purely for aesthetics.  I have seen too many of these keypads that have the numbers worn off of them making them hard to read and ugly.  I suppose the touchscreen could get all scratched up and ugly too, but nothing is perfect right?  Is there any such beast out there that a) works with Vera, b) is integrated with a lever/knob instead of a deadbolt, and c) has a touchscreen for PIN/code entry?

Yale YRL series. I own 2 of these...
Openluup (93 devices, 88 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (132 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 202 devices, 71 scenes , 3 apps) +  Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline Rogerramjet

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »
I have a couple of kas locks. I have setup a scene for when the door is unlocked the light goes on. It works when I manually opened it via the app. But doesn?t when using the keypad, even if I set it to open via code input. Can anyone help?